Thinking of using FDISR.

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Bio-Hazard, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Have your brother pop in here. We can sure try and help him.

Pete

2. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Ask him first to take care of the first two possible problems.
    If it is still a problem, we try the VSS/RSS-issue.

I will look it up for you and post it later.

4. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Thanx guys, have e-mailed him a link to the thread so he can deal direct if he needs to.

5. ErikAlbert

tradetime,
    This is about VSS/RSS.
    After installing FDISR works with VSS and you change this in RSS.
    I didn't need to do this, but if it is a problem you have to change it.

"VSS to RSS"

Click on Start-button and click on "Run..." and don't make any type-errors !!!

1. CMD + Enter (this opens a black window, where you can type DOS-commands)
    2. CD C:\$ISR\$APP\Setup + Enter
    3. ISRSetup –install –rss + Enter (wait until it's finished)
    4. Close the black window
    5. re-boot immediately.

Try copy/update in FDISR again.

"RSS to VSS"

Click on Start-button and click on "Run..." and don't make any type-errors !!!

1. CMD + Enter (this opens a black window, where you can type DOS-commands)
    2. CD C:\$ISR\$APP\Setup + Enter
    3. ISRSetup –install –vss + Enter (wait until it's finished)
    4. Close the black window.
    5. re-boot immediately.

Try copy/update in FDISR again.

6. tradetime

Thanx Erik have e-mailed the link to this thread so he can come in and chat with you guys himself if he needs to. My guess fwiw is that since he's one of these peeps who only has about 20 services running on his computer at rest (might be a slight exageration, but he has much less than me) he has probably disabled something that FD needs to work :eek:

Mine seems to be working just fine :)

7. tradetime

Has anyone come across any significant problem in leaving the native windows restore software active whilst using FDISR. I realise that if the product is as reliable as most who are familiar with it think it is, then it would be surplus to requirement, but as a new user I feel like the windows restore provides a safety net until I become more confident of FD.

8. ErikAlbert

I disabled Windows Restore, like most FDISR-users do.
    Windows Restore won't help you, when you have a frozen BSOD on your computer and you can't even get to Windows to fix it. FDISR will help you in such situation. Windows Restore also requires extra space on your harddisk and there are also other bad issues with Windows Restore, but I don't remember them.
    FDISR replaces Windows Restore completely, inside Windows and outside Windows and MUCH BETTER.
    Each MS Application, that comes with Windows is MEDIOCRE and sometimes even bad.

9. tradetime

Yeah i appreciate what you are saying Erik, but for a new user with a healthy sceptism of all things computer it does provide an extra all be it inferior possibility if for some reason there was something wrong with your snapshots. I can very well imagine that given a mnth or so playing with it to become confident I will feel differently, but this program like everything in life will have to earn my respect and confidence, so as long as the two don't conflict I would prefer to leave windows restore running for that month or so.

10. tradetime

Oh btw, my brother solved his problem with FD, it was related to a disabled service COM+ something or other, apparently the Volume Shadow Copy needs it to function.

11. ErikAlbert

I don't think it will conflict. It would be unlogical to me, if it would conflict.
    Of course I use FDISR more than a year and I trust it, but I can understand your feelings. You need a few disasters to see how good FDISR really is. :D

12. tradetime

At the moment I am trying to work out if a frozen snapshot would bring me more advantage or disadvantage. This program is very versatile, there seems to be quite a few ways to use it, just a case of finding the best options and combination to suit individual usage.

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Tradetime - Shutting down Windows Restore is no big deal. If at some later date you change your mind, just turn it back on. In the mean time if you're using FD-ISR you don't need it. If you had a throw away camera and then bought a digital camera with all the bells and whistles, wouldn't you put the throw away camera in a draw?:D

14. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

System Restore.... whats that:D Oh yeah, it's that thing I immediately shutdown along with the security center.

15. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Ditto to the both!! :D :cool:

16. ErikAlbert

You have only three ways to keep your computer clean or to restore your computer with FDISR :

1. Copy/Update FROM "Rollback Snapshot" TO "Work Snapshot" (standard method)

2. Copy/Update FROM "Work Archive.arx" TO "Work Snapshot"

3. Copy/Update FROM "Freeze Storage.arx" TO "Frozen Work Snapshot" (automatic)

The question is how to keep your SOURCE snapshot clean and up-to-date and this is open for discussions. Each member has his own opinion about this. I do it my way and it doesn't matter to me how other users do it.

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  17. tradetime

Yes, really from what I can see they all seem to be variations on the same theme, and I don't know that one offers any great advantage over the other, with the obvious exception of the frozen snapshot which automates a rollback on reboot (though if you don't reboot......) this of course has inconveniences to balance against any advantage.
    My own thoughts, for the moment as I am still learning the program, is to follow a routine similar to your frozen snap routine that you described on another thread, but simply to use a primary and secondary snapshot, with an archived backup.

18. tradetime

:D Yes I know, I'm way behind the curve on this sort of software, and I do understand exactly what you are saying, I'm happy trusting my own security software selection, and I'm sure once I've played with this for a little while and seen what it can do I will be happy to terminate windows restore.

19. tradetime

Ok, another question, I have FDISR setup with Primary, secondary and Tertiary sanpshots, can I go into one of those and make a whole lot of.....let's say experimental cahnges to that setup......and if it turns out to be a real bad mistake, simply shutdown and reboot into one of the other snaps where none of those changes should have taken effect, and then update the messed up snapshot from the unchanged one so that it was as if I never made any changes at all. What I want to do is experiment with shutting down / disabling a lot of services, there are some 60 running on this computer at rest, way too many.

20. ErikAlbert

Yes you can do all that, but always keep one snapshot healthy, which is normally your secondary snapshot.
    If something goes wrong : reboot, press F1 and choose another snapshot.
    You can create upto maximum 10 bootable snapshots, the number of archives is unlimited.
    You can delete any snapshot, when you don't need it anymore.
    It's a good practical exercise, that's a good way to learn FDISR.
    If you want to recover a snapshot, use a good snapshot as source in the copy/update and the destination snapshot is back to normal.

21. tradetime

Ok cool, and when you say "Delete" that is the same as FD's command "Remove Snapshot" since it seems to perform the same task and I haven't seen a delete command.

22. ErikAlbert

Yes remove = delete. Sorry.

23. tradetime

Great, appreciate the babysitting, so even if I was to dare I say it......mess with the registry.....in one snapshot, it would have no effect on another snap.

Ok stupid question, but trying to understand the full implications of the program....what if I uninstalled FDISR...in one of the snapshots....as long as I didn't let it remove the snapshots

24. ErikAlbert

One trouble or many troubles in ONE snapshot don't affect the other snapshots.

If you uninstall FDISR, you will boot in the snapshot where you uninstalled FDISR and you won't get access to the other snapshots until you re-install FDISR.
    I never tried this, but this sounds logical.

25. tradetime

Ah now that is interesting, cause I would have thought it was different, you see in my way of thinking the Primary snapshot isn't a snapshot at all, it is your computers OS and is what ur computer recognises as its OS, the secondary and so on snaps are simply copies of that, and FDISR fools your computer by redirecting you into one of the copies that you select.....so if you were in say snap 3 and uninstalled FDISR, on reboot you should be going back into snap 3 as it was your last active snap, but since FDISR is not present in that snap I would have thought that your computer would boot you into the real operating system (primary snap) no?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.