The Zone Alarm Antivirus blunder

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by CReal, Mar 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CReal

CReal Registered Member

A relative of mine spotted a special offer of ZA Antivirus 2007 at €10,so i decided to follow his example and grab it.Fortunately,he warned me in time to go check the ZA forum,because the ZA Antivirus has some...bugs.Of what nature you may ask.Well,nothing too serious.Simply,the Kaspersky engine gets corrupted and you are stuck with a dead antivirus.The best part of it,is that you don't really come to know it.

Take a look at what happens here
    http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/board?board.id=Antivirus

So instead of using my key,i installed the program as trial.I had the Kaspersky corruption engine problem too and as described by others,if you don't know what to look for,you will never notice it.What a great bug for an antivirus.Practically you have to check your engine version number and if you see anything else than "3",it is a first indicator that the engine is corrupted.Another is to turn on the logging of scanning errors and see if any errors come up (oh,they do!).Some others can't even complete a full scan,because the antivirus hangs.

So,seeing that the "Gurus" over there at the ZA forum advice the users to revert to version 6.5,i also did that.It does work and it is much lighter than ver 7,but i also get scanning errors,saying it can't open some files.Most of them non infectable though...i think.

I wonder,will this sharade ever end?Hasn't Checkpoint learnt anything from the version 6?Why don't they beta test more their programs?It is RIDICULOUS to buy an antivirus that can't perform it's basic task,i.e scan for viruses.

Nothing to say on the firewall part,works like a charm.It's a shame though,since Chekpoint took over,it appears that Zone Alarm is going down the drain.

I won't use my serial key (and same goes for my cousin),until this gets fixed with a new release.We are not supposed to pay for doing free betatesting for Checkpoint.

Now i understand why this "special offer".Cheap beta testers,come forth!

2. CReal

CReal Registered Member

And here are the "official" known issues of version 7 as mentioned in January by a ZA "Guru":

The following three issues has been reported to Tech Support and the Developers are working on a fix.

The issues are as follows:

1. Windows Security Center warning: antivirus out-of-date; After update
    it comes back again.
    2. Expert rules are not saved upon restart;
    3. kl1 service cannot find file (system event notification). This can
    slow down a bit the startup.

No ETA yet when the fix will be available.

Thank you for your time and have a Great Day or Evening!
    http://forum.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=inst&message.id=61385

They sure do a lot of beta testing at Checkpoint before releasing to pubblic! :blink: Especially the security center warning is a too mysterious bug to notice... :rolleyes:

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Wow, the AV problem still isn't fixed... I trialed it awhile ago and uninstalled it as soon as the AV went bad after I did my first update. :rolleyes:

4. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: This does not surprise me any more. In AUO trade, a problem in this nature( engine failure) DOES warrant a mandatory recall. In cyber field, Checkpoint at least can initiate a voluntary recall. Will they? A million $$ question. eh?

5. CReal

CReal Registered Member

Errrr...They prefer a much more cosy option.They tell you to revert to 6.5 and wait for the update with a bug fix version that should come out "soon".

http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=Antivirus&message.id=18561

http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=Antivirus&message.id=18553

There are plenty of posts about it,some also have reply from the official support which are hillarious because they show they had no clue about what the customer was talking about.

I browsed about 12 pages back this morning...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.