The unofficial Shadow Defender Support Thread.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

No way (and even if they did say something to that effect, I'm sure the meaning was lost in translation)!

Very true, and what would be the point in doing it anyway?

2. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

I guess what I was trying to do is fully update WU's in Shadow Mode to see results of problematic updates in shadow. Then return to normal and install in real environment if no problems. I guess I need a real VM partition for that.

Maybe, SD support presumed WU's would not need a restart.
    Or, I misunderstood.
    I tried once to win update in Shadow and system froze.

I'm trying to find a work around for M$ flawed WU's. Other than waiting for third Tuesday and googling every KB

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Theoretically it should work if you commit the whole session before rebooting, but as Acadia mentioned, a MS update is too deep into the innards of the OS... Why risk a mess, a backup/image is the safest way to test MS updates or even 'System Restore' should be enough, which is activated by default before the updates are implemented...

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi jbm

Stand in front of a mirror, and repeat to yourself 5 times. Do Not Do Windows Update in Shadow Mode. ROFL

Pete

5. Peter2150

Imaging is the way to protect yourself from bad Windows Updates.

P

6. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Not possible. Commiting the whole session requires a reboot.

7. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Yes, I dusted off Seagate and updated Acronis :thumb: System Restore breaks stuff. Time travel is still just a theory. :D

8. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

I will not do Windows Updates in Shadow Mode. I will not do Windows Updates in Shadow Mode. I will not do Windows Updates in Shadow Mode. I will not do Windows Updates in Shadow Mode. I will not do Windows Updates in Shadow Mode. :)

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

My thought was that committing would probably precede the loading of the updates during reboot... But honestly I would never test it, as I'm also pretty sure that something would certainly go wrong...

10. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I don't want to sound patronizing, but make sure you can recover an image with Acronis, if you haven't tested the reliability of Acronis, it is better to risk MS updates with System Restore...

11. Peter2150

Yea, I have to agree a bit about Acronis. As far the SD commit, small data files good, but big files, and folders..... I once did a commit on a 367gb file. Once started I didn't want to interrupt it. 8 hours later... I kid you not.

12. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Hey guys, ATI actually backs-up and restores very reliably (and pretty darn fast) from its boot CD.

13. Peter2150

what about from the windows gui

14. Duong Nguyen

Duong Nguyen Registered Member

Thank Cruise for the file. It works perfectly.

15. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I didn't mean to diminish Acronis capabilities, I still have a license (version 9 from memory) which always worked fine with the CD, I have since switched to something else. My statement was a general warning to people buying a backup/imaging program for the first time, performing several regular backups trusting unconditionally that everything is going to be fine, only to realize that when disaster strikes, their restoration doesn't work... It has happened again and again, therefore testing a restoration is an absolute must...

16. Peter2150

Totally agree. WHen I seriously try a new imaging program, I want to do a couple of restores a day during trial.

17. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Well, to be candid. Acronis (limited version) aka DiskWizard was prompted to me by Seagate support. I needed instruction how to format PS110 previously seldom used on Vista box. Now, wanting to use on W8 box. Seagate was very helpful. So, I opted for DiskWizard v W8 backup.
    Open to alternative suggestions. As format and Image and boot-able were fast. Is W8 bu viable?
    I bu personals' to Flash. So, will only run external for Image. PS110 came with bu software. So, this was my virgin experience with Acronis.

1) I'm still failing to wake W8 from Sleep in Shadow Mode.
    2) What file/folder do I commit for FF Bookmarks.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  18. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

You're welcome Duong. Btw, which version of Windows are you using? Did you report your system hanging problem to SD support?

19. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi bjm, you exclude file "places.sqlite." You ll find that file in your Firefox profile folder in AppData>Roaming

Bo

20. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

He, he. I know Peter. When he says, "a couple of restores a day", he really means a couple of dozen! :argh:
    Acadia

21. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

bjm_
    I have emailed Tony (mentioned it on The Official Shadow Defender Forum)

I'll post there if/when I receive a reply.

Patrick

22. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Thanks so much for your interest and support. I started a Thread at Official SDF before reading your Reply.
    Upon, more head scratching. I think. Issue is my box. If I invoke Sleep. I can wake Sleep. If timer invokes Sleep. No wake. Have to force PwDn.
    I have to first verify Sleep "works" as expected before testing Sleep from Shadow Mode.
    Sorry, as I seem to have put cart before the horse.

EDIT: I think the blue gray screen I get upon space bar tap indicates wake as invokes definite drive activity. Just not able to open desktop.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  23. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

I've got three places.squlite. Just the places.squilt not the shm / wal. Any logic in committing the Profiles Folder or xuserx.default.
    I wouldn't object to being able to commit Site Preferences.

24. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Yes, only exclude "places.sqlite." Thats the file where Firefox saves bookmarks and history. Personally, I prefer to be very specific on what I exclude. In Shadow mode I dont exclude anything but places.sqlite. If you like to save Site preferences, I think you need to exclude cookies.sqlite. Try and see.

Bo

25. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

I was thinking Site Pref as zoom not cookies. I clear all History including cookies. All Data (Site Pref) is unchecked. I allow SBoxie direct access for Bookmark and History. So, places.sqlite should satisfy. I allow direct access phishing database...but, have not committed. Not knowing what file. Will phishing just populate again in Shadow Mode no harm no foul.

I'll do places.sqlite and C. Thanks as always.... :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.