The unofficial Shadow Defender Support Thread.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Feb 14, 2011.

1. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Hello
    New to SD ~ two questions
    1) I tried to install Windows Updates in Shadow Mode to see what if any glitches with this months updates. Updates froze installing > noticed machine froze > no response from mouse > had to hard shut down. Is it possible to Install WU's or maybe to big for memory ~ IDK
    2) I'd like to have Shut Down revert back from Shadow Mode so restart will be Normal mode for updating stuff. Then go into Shadow Mode. Does this make sense?

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

1)I don't think it is a good idea to try Windows updates in shadow mode as most important updates require a reboot, after which the system would be restarted with the same configuration prior to starting the update process.
    2) I'm sorry I'm not sure I understand the question. All I can say is that you can schedule Shadow mode for every start or you can have shadow mode to start only when you wish to, and reboot the computer in normal mode.

3. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

So, I can't use Shadow Mode for test install of new software that requires restart.
    Yeah, think I found setting that will restart in Normal Mode so I can update and then opt to Shadow Mode.
    So, if I understand the concept. All changes are simply gone coming out of the Shadow environment.

I've run SBoxie for years. Maybe SBoxie is easier. Just dump sand.

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

That's right. Although most programs nowadays don't require a reboot
    Any reboot or start will delete the previous session unless you specifically commit the whole session before rebooting.

Lots of people use both simultaneously or separately (I use them mostly separately). Sandboxie can be used as an anti executable for malware, Shadow Defender won't protect you from data theft during the shadow mode.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I wouldn't do a windows update and then commit it. I made a mistake like that once and committed a huge file. 5 hours later.....

6. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Excluded folder option is to save/keep anything, right? Excluded folder doesn't mean anything run from there will install/touch the real system, right?

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Read the hint. If you exclude a folder it will not be shadowed. I would not exclude the whole windows folder. For windows update, just don't be shadowed. To do otherwise is asking for trouble.

8. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Sandboxie won't protect from data theft either. If I have keylogger in my sandbox. The keylogger doesn't mind playing in the sand. That's sand for another board. ;)
    Thanks for reminding me ShadowMode is still a playground for malware. ShadowMode just keeps malware from my real environment. THANKS for easily understood reply.
    Happy Holiday to you and yours

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  9. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Yeah, my first and last attempt at WU ShadowMode. Just froze up / had to force shutdown.
    Thanks Peter2150 :thumb: Happy Holiday to you and yours

10. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi bjm, for me, combining Shadow defender and Sandboxie has always worked great. I basically use Sandboxie for security and Shadow defender for testing programs or testing changes in the system. Shadow defender is one program that you wont have to scramble around to dodge issues to get it working with SBIE. Both programs just work great together.:cool:

Now that you know that testing windows updates or trying to apply windows updates in Shadow mode is a bad idea, if you are going to use Shadow defender in an everyday basis, its probably better to disable automatic Windows update.
    You can use either File access>Blocked access or File access>Write only access, to protect your personal files and folders from being accessed by programs running in the sandbox. In addition to those settings, by using Start Run and Internet access restrictions, you restrict to only a few the programs that are allowed to connect and run in a sandbox, that will keep malware from running or from phoning home. :)
    http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?ResourceAccessSettings#file

Bo

11. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Hey Bo
    WU always under my full control. I started over with a clean SBoxie Install and one Default box. Only Firefox facing web and Start / Run as few as possible. Even realized about xing plugin container prompt. You're right as always. I do have to get into File access>Blocked access or File access>Write only access. Actually setup FF as Read Only then realized Oooops! :argh: Best to you and yours. Just took a few screen captures with SD Commit to see what happens. Cheers.

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I thought that if you're browser is sandboxed it's isolated so you can do things like online banking without being seen. If I add a file to the desktop while in SD and then get out of SD, the file is gone. On the other hand if I'm in SD and visit a few websites, and then get out of SD, the websites are still in history. I don't get it.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  13. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

If you are using Firefox under Shadow Defender and/or Sandboxie and you allow to save bookmarks out of the sandbox and/or Shadow mode, History gets saved as well. places.sqlite, the file where Firefox saves bookmarks its the same file where history gets saved.

To take care of history and still save bookmarks, you can either set Firefox to Never remember history or set it up to do the same by using custom settings for history. Other browsers might work differently.
    Firefox Tools>Options>Privacy

Bo

14. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thanks for reminding me of that. My FF is OK. Actually I found the problem using Chrome so I'll have to fix it there.

15. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

I don't generally post anything that is like an advert but
    Shadow Defender is currently on sale at a reduced price of 22.5 US$. It is usually 35 US$

19th December 2014

16. caspian

caspian Registered Member

If you install portable virtualbox inside of a truecrypt container with a Windows 7 VM, then you could enable SD on your real computer, then start the Windows 7 VM and test your software with a reboot. And of course when you restart your real computer, it never happened.

17. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

I've email SD a few times asking the same maybe obvious question. How many devices may I satisfy with one lifetime license ?

18. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

From the EULA:
    Once registered, you are granted a non-exclusive license to use the Shadow Defender software for your own or your company products submissions on one computer at a time. The registered Shadow Defender software as well as registration keys may not be rented or leased, but may be permanently transferred, if the person receiving it agrees to terms of this license. You are not allowed to submit other authors or companies products using your copy of Shadow Defender

19. Duong Nguyen

Duong Nguyen Registered Member

Recently, I have some problems with some latest versions of SD. System hang more often when I enable SD.
    Can anyone give me download link of version 1.1.0.325 ? This is latest stable that I experienced.
    I have tried to find this version many time but it not and the original link does not work anymore.
    Please help me!
    Thank you very much!

20. sdmod

Latest release of Shadow Defender

Version 1.4.0.578 - January 1, 2015

Fixed: A memory access violation.
    Fixed: Can't recognize licenses in lower case.
    Fixed: Suppress an annoying window when placing EFI partition in Shadow Mode.
    Fixed: Some minor bugs.

21. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Hello Duong, if you like I can upload build 325. Just tell me where and if you need the 32 or 64 bit version.

Hey Patrick, thanks for the heads-up on the latest build ...and happy new year!

Cruise

22. Robin A.

Installed v. 578 in both Windows 7 and 8.1 Update, no issues. In 8.1, the message
    "SD - Z: is in low free space, exist Shadow Mode now please"
    still appears. I always ignore it.

23. sdmod

A member on The Official Shadow Defender Forum mentioned Z: in free space.
    You could try this that someone recommended
    , having a similar problem, turning off fast startup, which is also called hybrid boot.

I can't guarantee that this will work because I haven't tried it as I don't use that operating system so try at your own risk.

Members please feel free to let me know if I am barking up the wrong tree.

Control Panel/System and Security/Power Options/Choose what the power buttons do/Change Settings that are currently unavailable/Shutdown settings/

untick
    “Turn on fast start up (recommended)".

Scroll down the page to see pictures here

24. sdmod

Have a very happy new year Cruise and to everyone here.. :) Let me know how the new version runs.

Patrick

25. Robin A.

I have fast startup disabled, because it can cause problems with the imaging programs. This doesn´t solve the "problem" (if it´s a problem).

I mentioned the "Z: message" because I thought the change in the new version
    "Fixed: Suppress an annoying window when placing EFI partition in Shadow Mode."
    could refer to it. Apparently it doesn´t.

Apart from this message, I haven´t seen any "annoying window" when entering Shadow Mode in Windows 8.1 Update.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.