The unofficial Shadow Defender Support Thread.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Feb 14, 2011.

1. virtualpc

virtualpc Registered Member

Hi,

The old SD only asked for a password...no usernames. I simply upgraded to the latest version. It still asks for a password, but no username and yes I am entering the correct password.

I've only seen your post regarding getting the exclusion list, so is there anyway I can get it without entering a password?

2. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

Yes sorry, I haven't registered it for a while so...yes no username.

3. virtualpc

if i could get the exclusion list without having to enter a password, then that would be great.

4. sdmod

Sorry, I misunderstood about the password...in my mind I thought you were talking serial.
    If you can't uninstall or go forward in normal pc mode then
    the only thing that I can think of is to go into safe mode on your pc (usually F8 when booting) and uninstall Shadow Defender. In which case you would lose your Exclusion List but then you could do a fresh installation (outside safe mode) without the password or with a new password if you want.
    Tony told me a long time ago that if you lose your password or forget it that there is no way to recover it.
    You could try entering your existing password in safe mode but I don't think that it will make a difference.
    Your existing password might be case sensitive, so make sure that the password that you enter has all the capital letters and minor letters that you originally put in. Remember that full stops or other punctuation marks, spaces etc would make a difference. I'm sorry that I can't be more helpful about this but let me know what happens anyway.

If you get things working again, I would suggest after storing your password safely, to make a full backup of your drive at that point (outside Shadow Mode) and then you have something to fall back on in these sorts of circumstances.
    All that I can say is that it's an unusual situation which I've not come across before. I don't want to state the obvious but If you have a password safe, I'd just check that you are entering the correct password because sometimes we might change a password and then forget about it if we've been in the habit of using the old one.

Patrick

5. virtualpc

thanks sdmod. My password is simply numbers and I've checked them over and over again. I guess I'll have to remove it and try again, but thanks for your help.

6. sdmod

I've managed to move the The Official Shadow Defender Forum to the new hosting after editing and renaming the .sql but I'm having problems with finding the paths to avatars and attachments within simplemachines forum. Any advice would be welcome. Patrick

7. virtualpc

hello sdmod. So do you want people to talk on there instead?

BTW, I've reinstalled SD again. I've excluded some folders such as USERS\ADMINISTRATOR, but I'm now having issues with google chrome as it's freezing the whole computer. The only way to fix this is by disabling SD. I believe the reason maybe because I might need to exclude other folders, but I'm not sure which ones.

Could you please give me a list of folders I definitely have to exclude?

8. sdmod

Hi virtualpc,
    This thread and The Official Shadow Defender Forum have always run happily alongside each other and they are just two seperate resources, there is no conflict. The problem that I am having with the forum is to do with the old host becoming increasingly unuseable so I had to move it to a new host which has been a bit tricky, as I am no expert in mysql phpmyadmin and all the ins and outs of databases etc.
    At the moment I've got to the stage where members can login and post but only simple text posts.
    I'm trying to find out how to put the correct paths in for the avatars and attachments on the forum software (simplemachines) and/or database so that that part is useable for members.

In answer to your question
    I am not a Google Chrome user so I'm not sure what you might exclude...maybe other members on here are using Chrome with Shadow Defender. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

9. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Is there any way to reset the registration/license? Better yet, how do I find my license info? is it in the registry?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  10. virtualpc

Ahh right I see. I just thought that there would be a standard list of folders that needed to be excluded? Maybe I was wrong.

11. sdmod

contact support@shadowdefender.com

12. sdmod

I'm happy to say that The Official Shadow Defender Forum is now working properly after a bit of a struggle and moved to the new hosting and the first backups taken. Avatars and Attachments are now working. I hope that on this hosting it will be easier for members to access without constant dropouts. Thanks for your patience. :)

Patrick

13. virtualpc

Glad to hear it's sorted patrick mate. Well Done! ;)

14. BruzZzler

BruzZzler Registered Member

has anybody tested SD on the new Surface 3 pro under win 8.1 ?

15. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

Shadow Defender 1.4.0.553

16. sdmod

Shadow Defender 1.4.0.553 'Check updates automatically' defaults to on but you can turn it off in 'Administration' tick box.

17. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

No explicit information about the BCD issue, discussed previously in this forum. I may check later.

[BCD issue: changes made to the BCD in shadow mode remain after a reboot].

18. sdmod

I've emailed Tony about this today.

Patrick

The Official Shadow Defender Forum

19. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I made a test (in Windows 7 x64) and it appears that the issue has been corrected. BCD changes don´t remain after reboot.

I haven´t noticed any problems in the new version.

20. sdmod

Thanks Robin A, That's good to know. I'll post it on The Official Shadow Defender Forum

Patrick

21. sdmod

Re: question from forum member
    supportatshadowdefender.com
    10:52 AM

Hi Patrick,

The BCD editing bug is fixed. Everyone can test it.
    for example: run cmd.exe as administrator,
    then run: bcdedit /set testsigning on
    after reboot, there is no test mode logo in the right bottom corner of the desktop.
    There is an option can disable automatic updates check in Administration page.

Best regards,
    Tony

On 2014-9-1 22:33, Patrick wrote:

Hi Tony,
    A forum member asked

Can anyone confirm that BCD editing bug fixed or not?

I've had comments from members that they don't like automatic updates and would prefer it to default to off.

I'll pass any further comments on to you.

best wishes

Patrick

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  22. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi

Had to Uninstall latest Build 1.4.0.553 due to it not starting up in Shadow Mode straight away [as set in setting to do so] :confused:, it taking about 15 to 20 seconds before it enter Shadow Mode for some reason? :eek:

Reinstall 1.4.0.519 and all working again. :thumb:

Take Care
    TheQuest :cool:

23. sdmod

Hi Quest, Did you send an email to Tony? supportATshadowdefender.com

I don't usually re-boot into Shadow Mode but I'll give it a try later and see if mine does the same.

24. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi sdmod
    Thanks your for replying.
    No Patrick, I have not emailed Tony.

Take Care
    TheQuest :cool:

25. sdmod

Hi TheQuest
    I tried it but because I don't usually do it that way I had nothing to compare it with.
    I didn't seem to have to wait for too long at re-boot.
    I don't know if it's a bug or not.
    If other members who regularly boot into Shadow Mode have the same problem then I'll send Tony an email about it.
    I don't know how true this is but Tony once said to me that Shadow Defender was better installed first before other software (if my memory serves me well) (it was quite a few years ago).
    It might be that when you installed your older version of Shadow Defender that you then installed some other software later...and this time with the new install, those softwares were already installed.
    I maybe talking absolute rubbish but it's just a thought. :)

Patrick

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.