The Unofficial question too you...

Discussion in 'Test Forum' started by Morthawt, Aug 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morthawt

Morthawt Registered Member

Why dont we, just as a sidenote, on the side, to the normal workings of this forum, why dont we use encryption, and every now and a few thens, encrypt a message with PGP conventional encryption (requiring a simple password) and the password to that encryption is the name of a security product. for example "system safety monitor" or "antivir" obsiously withought the quotes, and keep it all lowercase... First person to copy and paste the message, along with the password that encrypted it, wins.

What do you win? You win first place, thats what you win! so then start another one yourself... Who knows what will happen. It would be a nice interlude to the posting, when you are bored, you can have a crack at guessing a password to something.

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

One should never be bored with life in particular, and all the web has grown to offer.

S

3. Morthawt

Its not for everyone though, and a nice simple a fun thing to do with encryption, is something the web has to offer... People on this forum actually care about security, and if people can play bingo, and chess, then people can pick names of security programs, and try and guess the password to be the first person to do it.

4. GlobalForce

Those willing to partake - my spiritual blessing.

S

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Let's make it interesting. Interested members will send me $100 which I will hold in the "pot" until there's a winner, who will be sent a check for the accumulated money. If that idea isn't acceptable then forget it because we have enough to figure out. :D

6. Morthawt

lol.. No money need be involved. It is simply a case of people who care about their security and privacy enough to have PGP installed, can (if they want) have a crack at guessing the password to an encrypted message, the password of which would be the name of a security program. Simple.

I will probably make that thread, and then *if* anyone wants to have a bash at it, then cool.. If not, then oh well i wasted 5 seconds of my time lol.

7. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

8. GlobalForce

Hey Wes,

Open for a question er'two?

S

9. Morthawt

what?

10. GlobalForce

Your version of guess, not something winning contestant's do on Jeopardy?
    What about gpg, compatible for this encryption challenge?

S

11. Morthawt

i use the latest PGP, i dont like the gpg and i have more trust for the real and true PGP. I have always had PGP from the people who make PGP, i dont use off-shoots, same with truecrypt, if someone altered it and made it "better" or anything, i would not use it, since it did not come from the original creators.

12. GlobalForce

So no GPG, fine. What about the guesswork .... outright, or a particular method?

S

13. Morthawt

I was thinking that the password would be the name of a security product, in lower case, but its just an idea. it seems most people dont care about having something on the side.

14. GlobalForce

Hey, I didn't post to bash the idea. Suggesting on behalf of the community I feel the majority would prefer it to be something more than simple Hangman. Something of benefit, a digestible mental exercise speaking nothing of an individual's relative importance in society, something that might provoke real interest, an interest in understanding the importance of encryption, when and where it's use found most applicable. Course I'd probably get torched if the pro's chose to join in. Puter know-how is @ best, a hobby of mine.

S

15. Morthawt

well, perhaps you could make some recomendations. I have posed the idea, its just an idea. If you think it may be something that people "may" want to do, if it was done differently, please make some specific suggestions. I think it could be very interesting.

16. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Folks,

This is a security site, a game of not 20 questions. Let's stick to the core.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.