The Summer Olympic Games in Athens, Greece, Aug.13-29

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by gerardwil, Aug 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slammer_JvA

slammer_JvA Registered Member

Below sea-level. Safe and sound behind our dikes:
    Agreed. Was on the edge, but never mentioned political comment; just personal view in general. You're free to delete them if regarded necessary.
    Let's leave it with this; return to topic.

regards,
    Joris

2. slammer_JvA

"To participate is more important than winning"

The five olympic rings represent the union of the five original continents

:)

Attached Files:

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

That is the problem with almost all sports anymore. The Ideal of participating and giving your all just for the sport has been lost somewhere along the way. The ideal of it's not whether you win or lose but how you play the game has been replaced by "win at all cost losing is nothing" and that has led to a great loss by true sport lovers.

this is just my personal opinion
    bigc

4. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Hey, Slammer

No problem! I wonder how many people on this planet were not rooting for Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards in the Ski Jumping competition a few years back? The same for the Jamacian Bob Sled Team? One of my personal favorites was the US Hockey Team win over the USSR, not for any political reason, but
    because their chances were about 100 to 1. I love it when the Minnows chew up the Killer Whales.

Play on, big ed

5. slammer_JvA

A lesson in humility for myself...
    Fair is fair; the torpedo (Ian Thorpe - AUS) at present is just the best swimmer.
    Nice race, and fair silver medal, VdH!
    The grace of a good 'loser'; I see this as sowing the seeds for future succes.

congrats Down Under :cool:
    slammer

Attached Files:

6. slammer_JvA

7. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

USA takes Gold in Womens Individual Sabre (fencing) over China.
    Mariel Zagunis like poetry in motion. Good job.
    First time US wins gold in fencing in:

100 Years!

8. ssgtmax

ssgtmax Registered Member

I don't know beans about his sport, but young Mr. Hamm (USA) showed some real guts in coming back to win the men's all-around gymnastics gold medal after his crash-&-burn on the vault. ;)

9. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

I like to watch the Romanian gymnasts. They are amazing :)
    Does anyone remember Nadia Comanenci who was the first gymnast to score
    a perfect 10 at the Olympic games? It was in Montreal in 1976. ;)

Attached Files:

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Sure do. Wasn't a song written for her?

11. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

It would not surprise me if there was one. She was so good. :)

12. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Yes I can remember, so very nice to see. But....I can also remember how those very young girls were forced to be on the top. Not a life to be jeaulous on.

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

14. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Yes indeed. Lots of pressure put on their shoulders.
    I remember also Olga Korbut ... :(

15. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

17. gerardwil

[font=Times New Roman, Times New Roman, Times] Maybe a good idea for the weekend (hope Dog is watching)
    I personally like this Greek one:

Moussaka

[/font] [font=Times New Roman, Times New Roman, Times]Moussaka is a layered casserole that incorporates chopped meat and vegetables. The traditional dish is made with eggplant, but potato or zucchini can be used, either separately or combined. One variation is to make the bottom layer potato, put the meat in the center and top with the eggplant. When potatoes are used, they are sliced, brushed lightly with oil and broiled. Zucchini are also sliced and broiled. This recipe serves 10 to 15 people.What you need

[/font] [font=Times New Roman, Times New Roman, Times]5 large eggplants, about 1.5 pounds each
    salt and pepper
    10 tablespoons butter
    3 pounds ground beef
    1.5 cups chopped onion
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    1/4 cup chopped parsley
    1/2 cup red wine
    1/2 cup water
    1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon[/font] [font=Times New Roman, Times New Roman, Times]3/4 cup grated kefalotiri or Parmesan cheese
    1/2 cup breadcrumbs (or crushed milk biscuits)
    8 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    4 cups hot milk
    1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
    3 eggs, lightly beaten
    vegetable oil for brushing eggplant[/font] [font=Times New Roman, Times New Roman, Times] Preparation

Peel the eggplant lengthwise. Cut into 1/2 inch rounds (or 1/4 inch thick lenght-wise slices), sprinkle with salt (to remove bitterness) and let stand in a colander (preferably under a heavy or weighted plate) for 1/2 hour. Rinse and dry the eggplant rounds.

Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a saucepan and sauté meat and onion until brown. Add tomato paste, parsley, wine, salt, pepper and water. Simmer until liquid has been absorbed. Cool. Stir in cinnamon, 1/2 cup cheese and half the breadcrumbs. (Greek-American alternatives may also add 1 tsp. sugar and about 1/4 cup catsup/ketchup).

The Sauce (akin to Bechamel)

Melt 6 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add flour and stir until well blended. Remove from heat and gradually stir in milk. Return to heat and cook, stirring constantly until sauce is thick and smooth. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg. Combine eggs with a little of the hot sauce, then stir egg mixture into sauce and cook over very low hear for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.

Eggplant Preparation

Preheat the broiler.

Lightly brush eggplant slices with oil on both sides. Place on an un-greased cookie sheet and broil until lightly browned. Set aside to cool.

Assembly

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Sprinkle bottom of a 10 x 16-inch pan with remaining breadcrumbs. Place a layer of eggplant slices on the breadcrumbs to completely cover the bottom of the pan, then spread meat mixture over eggplant slices (an option here, to ensure a more cohesive bottom, is to add a layer of cheese on top of the eggplant before topping with the meat mixture). Cover meat with remaining eggplant slices. Spoon sauce over eggplant; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup grated cheese. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve warm.

Note: Moussaka can be prepared up to the cream sauce and finished the next day. This can also be baked, cooled, frozen and reheated.

link: http://www.yasou.org/

[/font]

18. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Got it! Yes, I heard that melody many times, thanks!

19. Devinco

Gerardwil,
    So THAT'S WHY the Greeks won the synchronized diving! :D
    Moussaka for everyone!

20. gerardwil

They added to many tablespoons ;)

21. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Singapore News » http://www.channelnewsasia.com/imagegallery/store/phpXpfegm.jpg [size=-1]Li Jia Wei[/size]
    Posted: 21 August 2004 1824 hrs

Singapore's Li Jia Wei loses in Olympic table tennis women's singles semis
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    SINGAPORE: Singapore paddler Li Jia Wei has crashed out in the Olympic women's singles semifinals.

Unseeded North Korea's Kim Hyang Mi beat sixth-seeded Li 8-11, 11-6, 0-11, 8-11, 11-8, 11-6, 11-9 to advance to the final.

Kim will next meet China's Zhang Yining.

Zhang, the first seed, defeated third seed South Korea's Kim Kyung-ah 13-11, 11-8, 11-6, 5-11, 11-8 in the other semifinal match.

Meanwhile, Li will play Kim Kyung-ah for the bronze medal on Sunday at 6pm Singapore time.

MediaCorp's Channel 5 will be showing the match "live".

And, as a service to those who are attending Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong's first National Day Rally at the University Cultural Centre, MediaCorp will also relay pictures of the match "live" to the UCC.

This is so they will not miss the match before the start of the Rally at 8pm. -CNA

Related News » • Olympics: Singapore's Li Jia Wei through to table tennis semis, Zhang Xue Ling crashes out Olympics: Singapore's Li Jia Wei, Zhang Xueling advance into women's table tennis q-finals Olympics: Singapore's women paddlers lose in doubles 4th round

22. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Singapore News » http://www.channelnewsasia.com/imagegallery/store/phpPvL381.jpg
    Time is GMT + 8 hours
    Posted: 07 August 2004 1748 hrs

Olympics: Singapore has strong chance of breaking Olympics medal drought
    By Patwant Singh, Channel NewsAsia

Related News » • Olympics: Singapore swimmer Joscelin Yeo hopes for medal at fourth Games Singapore sprinter Poh Seng Song faces Olympian task at Athens 2004 Olympics: Singapore's sailing and shooting representatives ready for second Games

SINGAPORE : It has been 44 long years since Singapore last won an Olympic medal.

Tan Howe Liang had won a silver medal for weightlifting at the 1960 Rome Olympics.

But this year in Athens, the prospects look good for Singapore, especially in table-tennis and badminton.

At the 2000 Sydney Games, Jin Junhong kept Singaporeans on the edge of their seats, when she went all the way to the semi-finals of the women's singles event.

But the 36-year-old faltered in the end and Singapore missed winning a second Olympic medal.

Now, Junhong's third Olympics in Athens could be her last.

She said, "I have reached a certain age where it will be difficult for me to compete at a high level."

So all hopes now rest on the younger Li Jiawei, the world number 8 who won her first tour title, the US Open, recently.

Jiawei's Olympic preparations have been going on well.

She has just returned from a one-month training stint in Shanghai, together with the rest of the team.

Is the 23-year-old up to it?

Jiawei said, "In competition you either win or lose so the pressure is there. Especially it is the Olympics, the pressure is even greater. But with so many pinning their hopes on us, we will try our utmost."

Besides the singles, both Jiawei and Junhong will also team up for the doubles events.

Also trying their utmost will be Singapore's third singles player Zhang Xue Ling, and Tan Paey Fern, who will partner Xue Ling in the doubles event.

But if Jiawei fails to deliver, Singapore can still rely on her boyfriend and the top shuttler, Ronald Susilo.

After all, Susilo is ranked top 10 in the world now after his recent Japan Open win.

However, the 25-year-old feels that his biggest career win could cut both ways.

Susilo said, "It will be both because our opponents will start to watch us all the way we play. At the same time it boosts my fighting spirit because I'm confident of myself. I'm there and able to compete with the rest of the field."

Susilo has been going through an intensive training programme, together with women shuttlers, Li Li and Jiang Yanmei.

The trio make up Singapore's badminton team.

Speaking of women, swimmer Joscelin Yeo could pull off a surprise at her 4th Olympic outing.

Despite 34 SEA Games gold medals in her decade long career, there is just one more medal to make her collection complete.

Joscelin said, "Like all athletes, my goal is to win an Olympic medal. And I would go there and try my best."

Joscelin will also be sharing her experience with the four other swimmers - Mark Chay, Gary Tan, Nicollete Teo and Christel Bouvron who also donned Singapore colours at the Sydney Olympics.

This is sailor Stanley Tan and shooter Lee Wung Yew's second Olympics too.

But the duo from athletics will be making the Olympics debut in Athens.

The duo comprise sprinter Poh Seng Song, who is out to better his personal best, and shot putt thrower Zhang Guirong, who sees this as important preparation for future events. - CNA

ATHENS 2004 - Olympics news archive

Related News » • Olympics: Singapore swimmer Joscelin Yeo hopes for medal at fourth Games Singapore sprinter Poh Seng Song faces Olympian task at Athens 2004 Olympics: Singapore's sailing and shooting representatives ready for second Games Singapore's badminton players say they are prepared for Olympic challenge Swimmer Joscelin Yeo launches autobiography

23. gerardwil

My dear fav. Inge de Bruin just won her nr. 8 Olympic Medal.
    Congrats Inge with gold on 50 mtrs. freestyle swimming.

Attached Files:

24. slammer_JvA

Yes!!! Great achievement to stay on top and defend her Olympic title from Sydney 2000 after 4 years :) (Did we mention already that Pieter v/d Hoogenband did the same on the "Kings-distance" 100 metres freestyle? :D)

Another GOLD in the pocket for "Inky" and Holland: Hurray !!!

:D:D:D

Attached Files:

25. Devinco

Korea takes the Gold in Women's Archery over China. Very very close match. It came down to the last arrow shot by Korea. Bullseye!! Who knew archery could be exciting?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.