The old expiration date/renewal problem

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by john smith, Sep 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john smith

john smith Registered Member

I sent the following to ESET support:

"I just bought a 2-year renewal; my expiration date was 20SEP07; my new expiration date is 15SEP09. I want my five lost days. Thank you."

I just got a very unsatisfactory reply instructing me to be sure to install the product the day bought.

Did they even read my letter? I'll try again, but it's a shame that such a fine product has such a rotten support.

J.S., Disgruntled

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  2. GAN

GAN Registered Member

I guess a renewal should start from the day your current license expire, but your 5 lost days is equal to less then $1 if you look at the money you lost. No offence, but I wouldn't consider this a big deal.....actually i wouldn't call this a issue at all.

btw i don't think they accept private emails received from support to be posted on this board.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  3. john smith

With respect, I can't agree. I'm sure if I sent them $1 less than the renewal price they'd let me know about it. The archives suggested that a simple note to ESET would fix the problem, so I was amazed at their obtuseness.

Yes, I know they don't respond to the forum... this is called venting. I wrote them back separately and hope someone with better comprehension deals with it.

Regards,

John

4. GAN

GAN Registered Member

Well i agree that a 2 year renewal should be two years, but i mean it's not like the end of the world. If you want the 5 days maybe they will accept your request.....i don't know. I wouldn't bother but that's me.

When i said "not accept private emails to be posted" i was thinking about the board policy and what the moderators/admins of this board accept.

5. john smith

Oops! You're right! I edited out their reply to me. My bad.

John

6. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

While it may seem to be a minor issue, it is simply one that shouldn't exist, especially for a renewal. Personally, I find it a bit incomprehensible that a customer cannot ascertain their expiration date in the GUI and that extension of a license for x years seemingly must be purchased on the anniversary date to automatically obtain the proper credit.

Blue

7. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I agree on the incomprehensibility of such a policy. It certainly has caused inconvenience and consternation to a number of customers (myself included). I guess those $1's add up for Eset.

Does anyone know if Eset Smart Security licensing will be the same way? (I can't imagine why it would be any different.)

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

We always extend the license if a customer asks us for, it's not a problem at all. The notification window informs you that a renewed license becomes valid for the relevant period (1-2 years) from the date of purchase. Some distributors already generate licenses that become valid from the date of expiration of the previous license and hopefully we'll do that too as soon as a new ordering system is ready. In the mean time, feel free to contact the us support via this web form or email support[at]eset.com. As I said, it's not a problem to extend a license manually, if necessary.

9. nameless

nameless Registered Member

From what I gather by reading the foregoing, the OP tried contacting support with that request, and was rebuffed.

10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I can't speak for some distributors, but generally we amend the date of license expiration if someone asks us to do that and if we are able to locate the user's previous license.

11. john smith

Well, I just got home from work and found that I had another reply from ESET, and was rebuffed again; I'm told I shouldn't quote from ESET, but this is what they said:

~Private communications removed as stated in The Terms Of Service - Ron

I don't think a communication from ESET Sales Support qualifies as
    "private" if they're stating company policy.

I used the web page Marcos gave for my original request.

This policy by ESET Sales Support is astonishing; it's bush league, and if this is how they behave, they'll always have bush league sales.

John S, frankly amazed.

12. john smith

Okay, Ron... that's your reading of the rules. Just so a few more people know what kind of people are working at ESET Sales and what they're
    policy is. You won't this information on their website, so I guess you'd best not show it here?

John

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I will assure you, you will not lose any time on your license. I've been in the same situation.

14. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Private message sent.

15. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I agree with you Ron; ESET will resolve this.

Currently this is a manual process for sales made directly through ESET (to adjust a license); eventually this will be an automated process where licenses are renewed on their annual renewal date without any loss of time (as Marcos has already stated).

Cheers :D

16. john smith

ESET (with an assist from some forum contributors) did indeed resolve the issue. I rec'd an e-mail from their HelpDesk yesterday extending my license to 21SEP09, thus even giving an extra day, and stating that they appreciated my continued support (over seven years' use).

Oddly enough, though, I got another note today from ESET Sales saying that if I would telephone them (at my cost) they would give me the extra
    five days, but that if this happens next time they wouldn't as that was not company policy.

I have to admit, reading back, I do seem to be ranting a bit; I'm not usually so noisy. I really look forward to an integrated renewal module as part of the program.

John S.

17. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Good to see it has been resolved for you, and yes, I too looked forward to a fully automated system that even shows the expiry date within NOD32 itself; maybe even a countdown of days remaining on the main GUI.

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.