The Next-Generation Browser: No URL Bar

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

LOL! That's funny!

2. noway

noway Registered Member

The idea is to maximize real estate for advertising purposes. And to put feathers in hats. New and improved, like dish soap every year. You as a user of the browser are not a design priority.

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Sounds a whole lot like a baseless accusation.

Perhaps they want to increase screen realestate because *gasp* users want more screen realestate!

It's like this is really a capitalist society.

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well this thread was resurrected from the grave :D Real estate is fine, but, using Chrome as an example, you can't get much more space without resorting to punching F11. I'm not sure what else users would want taken out. I'd also ask what exactly are they wanting to see so much of that the current crop of browsers blocks that badly?

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

You'll know once you own a netbook or something smaller. Mine's 6-inch vertical space (1024x600).

6. Hungry Man

^^That.

I'd love if Chrome would shave off as many pixels from the screen as possible. I personally use a thin scrollbar in Chrome just because it saves me something like 10 pixels.

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I don't use a scrollbar at all :D.

8. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Browsers should be just a window like the IE platform preview. Who needs a UI! Pah!

9. Yakuman

Yakuman Registered Member

I tried this a couple of times before, but the obvious disadvantages outweigh any real estate gained: you can't gauge your current position on a given web page (especially if it's vertically long) nor do you know how long the page is to know how much further you need to scroll down. It's like you purposely set yourself up for a handicap.

10. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Ditto. I need the vertical scrollbar.

11. Hungry Man

Same here. But mine is 3 pixels or something like that.

12. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

5 px for me.

13. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I tried an add-on for FF 3.6 that makes them both one. When you type or paste a URL it functions as a URL bar, otherwise it's a search bar. I kinda liked it but there were some issues which I don't exactly recall now, but it was enough to make me go back. I think theoretically it could be a good idea if done right so you don't lose anything in the process.

14. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It isn't too much of a handicap for me, I can scroll down and find out just fine. As for specific locations, I use Ctrl+F.

15. Dude111

Dude111 Registered Member

Totally stupid!!

Wouldnt be anywhere as easy to surf!

16. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I completely get the netbook/smartphone argument. I can't stand surfing the net on those things. But, I'm hoping ideas such as this will apply only to the market where it's actually needed, the mobile market, on mobile browsers.

17. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Agreed. I run 1920x1200 on my laptop and desktop. I don't need features removed there. Mobile browsers should be separate products and they can strip those to the bare nothing all they want.

18. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Right now I'm using a 15" laptop, and I'm enjoying Chromium's Compact Navigation. Unfortunately, newest builds removed this feature, and it appears that Chromium developers have no intentions of bringing it back. If they ever consider it again, it seems it will be something different. Something like IE Platform Preview? lol

I seriously got no idea of what they could remove/hide from Chromium's UI o_O The tabs? Perhaps also the Wrench menu? The scrollbar as well? :rolleyes:

I also don't think it's necessary to take away features. Simply give the choice of hiding them.

That's what Compact Navigation was all about. Those who wanted it, could enable it. Those who didn't want it, didn't have to enable it.

19. Hungry Man

Compact navigation is in Canary in about:flags.

20. m00nbl00d

I don't keep up with Google Chrome canary or parrot. :D

But, it will eventually loose it. Unless Chromium developers have a change of heart.

Google/Bing/etc for chromium compact navigation. You should get two hits, at least.

21. Hungry Man

Googling that doesn't give me any results indicating that it's gone.

Anyways, features in Chromium often come and go, I doubt it's gone for good...

22. m00nbl00d

Sometimes we need to look for the answers we want. They aren't always in front of our eyes. ;)

-http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=83602

-http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=85184

To save you some time, read the last posts on those links.

23. Hungry Man

Yeah, those were definitely not on my front page haha remember that Google results are different for different people...

Anyways, I'm happy about this. The fact that it hid extensions was stupid. They should have done what the Firefox extension does, which is to hide the entire bar and only bring it up when your mouse goes to it or when you hit Ctrl + L.

Important to note. I doubt the entire project is scrapped, just this (in my opinion poor) implementation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.