The Internet you see is an Illusion

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by CloneRanger, May 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

https://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9216484/Elgan_How_to_pop_your_Internet_filter_bubble_
  2. nix

nix Registered Member

The option to remain private and/or anonymous never looked better to me than it does right now :)
  3. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Lol, anyone notice the irony?
    While reading the article there are 14(!) different trackers tracking you including 2 from Google and 2 from Facebook o_O
  4. CloneRanger

Not at the time :D But yeah :eek:

I got 10 blocked, that i was notified about anyway

fb.gif

What are the other 4 ?
  5. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

It depends on which domains you allow with NoScript or other addons. Some 3rd party domains load others, who again load others, when I temporarily allowed every domain with NoScript I got 14 trackers. I also got Comscore Beacon, Facebook Connect, Google Analytics and Quantcast.
  6. CloneRanger

Thanks :thumb: That's "probably" why i didn't see them as my NoScript is set to block Everything ;)
  7. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

A lot of talk about how some of my Facebook friends won't see my updates or I won't see their updates. Good grief, there is also a real world out there (and email)
    (my FB profile is fake anyway, it's just for laughs).

Then there is Noscript, Scroogle, Ixquick and much more.
    Personalization algorithms? Meh.
    AdBlock+ takes care of most ads. Personalized or not.
    All in all, much ado about nothing.
  8. monkeybutt

monkeybutt Registered Member

I must say that I'm shocked,shocked,shocked!?:p

I'll take the "Blue Pill" for 10 points.
  9. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

What if the "Illusion" doesn't just stop at filtering but could isolate a user from the internet where all a users queries and downloads are mediated or fetched for them. :eek:
    How would you know an intranet from an internet if your being fed?
  10. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Google provides an optout to adsense and I believe one other program used to track you. They do this to be competitive.

Let's say I use google and "Search Engine X" equally for the same searches. Google learns I usually click results that have to do with Pizza but Search Engine X doesn't. Google uses that info to then provide me with more Pizza related results. Suddenly I'm getting more of what I want from google and Search Engine X hasn't really changed.

So why would I use Search Engine X?

Again, it's a feature.
  11. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

I provide myself with tools like Adblock and NoScript to optout from Google (and other sites) tracking :)

Ask yourself another question: in the situation you were describing, why would you use Google for anything ELSE than pizza ? ;)
  12. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I actually do as well but I don't believe that their service is malicious at all. I simply do it because... I can. Haha.

Also google provides an opt-out.
    http://www.google.com/privacy/ads/
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.