The importance of manual scans?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by raven211, Jun 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Very true Page42. Hopefully I didn't take your words out of context.

2. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

More a case of me realizing I didn't make myself as clear as I might have. Thanks, Saraceno. :)

3. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

I don't, but I'm also sure my choice (TF) is not bulletproof at all either - I've just yet to see that happen. :D So far it's been catching and watching every move. I'm even so confident in its detection-statistics that I set it to automatically quarantining instead of prompting me. No serious FPs encountered yet and constantly heavily improved. Really rare things is what triggers when it shouldn't.

Actually it's the app. that I always run while testing around for another long-time keeper. :)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  4. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

raven211

Your'e right ( TF) is not bulletproof at all either )

I've been using ThreatFire on an XP PC for some time with great success in many ways. Unfortunately it appears it's far from perfect, along with lots of other Apps people on here have installed.

http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php#products-ratings http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php

Of course many people also have various other Apps etc in place as well, and securely configuring their browsers and Windows as much as possible goes a long way too.

5. arran

arran Registered Member

Ignorance is a Bliss.

6. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Uh, Matousec is not trusted by me, among many other people, and that includes this place. I only care about real cases. If you can give me malware which gets through, fine - but not this.

7. Quitch

Quitch Registered Member

I run AV for about 600 machines and my answer is yes, you need to check for stuff which slipped in before the signatures came out. I wouldn't do it very often though, we settle for once a month on desktops and every weekend on file servers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.