The Golden Bullet?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by IceCube1010, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

You Wilder's wimps have only learnt from what I've taught ya'll anyways! :D

On a more serious note, betcha I can can drink more beer than any of ya's! :cool:

2. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

The short answer is NO.

I use OA Premium, plus SAS, Nod32, FF and Paragon but there never will be a golden bullet, or a silver bullet.

Reason? Look in the mirror and as pogo said "I has seen the enemy and he is us"

3. MitchE323

MitchE323 Registered Member

Well what is the percentage definition you guys are using for the Golden Bullet? Is it that your security programs can not protect everything, forever, 100% of the time, regardless of the user and regardless of anything that I forgot to list? Then yeah, there is no Golden Bullet. :rolleyes: But are you ok with odds like getting hit by lightning at the same time you are cashing a lotto ticket, on Tuesday, at ten after 2PM? Plenty of us (with varying programs) have setups like that. ;)

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i dont agree with you i achieved the golden bullet by unpluging the ethernet cable:D :thumb: :D

5. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Amen.

6. Franklin

Ya got no kids or relatives that drop in every now and then huh o_O

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i have 3 kids:D i always password protected my security apps for incase anyone is tempted to change my configuration:thumb:

8. Dark Shadow

Three boys here as well,all password protected, not even the wife has it.My laptop is in lock down to all family members unless I say otherwise.:thumb:

9. Franklin

Have pity on me fellas, three daughters here! :D

No big deal, they've all moved out but Returnil is always active on all five of my pc's at boot just in case they drop in when I'm not around.

Always gotta love em, eh! ;)

Daughters and PC's that is.

10. Dark Shadow

Well sir do not know what its like to have three daughters or the fact even one but three boys of ages 10,8 and 6 its WWF around my house.My god have mercy on my greying hair.o_O

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thats why is good idea to lock down registry,files and apps plus use sort of sandbox/virtualization boot to restore jus in case some accident.like yesterday my sister in law was downloading music from limewire,thanks God i have sandboxie:D but anyway i dont know how she manages to recover all music it is funny when i came from work it was like 250 mp3 music files in the destop:'( i coudnt even see the start bottom:D i have lock down all files extention to be block on executation,only mp3 files is allow to be save in my destop:D

12. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

My PC has 4 operating systems installed. Only one is available to other users. It has 2 user profiles, one mine, one for everyone else. There's 4 others who use it regularly plus several more occasional users. None of them qualify as computer literate or security conscious users. The SSM rules for this profile are extremely restrictive. The users are locked out of most of the file system, security apps, control panel, scheduler, and configuration screens. Kerio and SSM are both password protected. I've allowed most of the tasks users normally do, but only with the apps of my choosing. Even without an AV, the security package and default-deny policy have kept me clean for several years now. The only type of user I'd be concerned about is a knowlegable one with malicious intent and brings their own tools.

I've worked on a lot of PCs for people with kids, boys and girls. As far as the PC is concerned, one is as bad as the other. Both cause plenty of damage if there's no effective user control in place.

13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

very impresive:thumb:

14. Escalader

I have zero sympathy for 3 anything of any gender since I have 2 grandsons! One 13 the other 10 and they know how to plug in cables. They also fly paper darts outside the upstairs windows! They are also building something scary in the basement.

I think the best answer is 2 setups one for me, locked down like fort knox and one for the animal kingdom that they can self destruct on! I would build in a website guard set up on it to prevent them going to the darkside. If they tamper with that in any way then I tell them I'll sell THEIR PC on ebay. :cool:

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

:D they sould start making antiviru/antimalware to put peolple(kids,wifes in quarentine):thumb: :cool:

16. Dark Shadow

Yep agree my 6 yr old knows how to use a mac better then my self and my 8 and 10 yr old know how to use both mac and pc.lock down is about the only secure method from these highly intelligent littile tikes.

17. Escalader

Give me the link ASAP! I'll buy it!:D

18. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Guant*namo v0.1 :ninja:

19. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

for sure will be a very expensive antimalware:D

what i do is i always pasword protected my security apps for preventing any
    configuration changes:thumb:

i lockdown my system and thats the best i can do,plus sandbox or restrict internet explorer and windows live mesenger:thumb:

only ieexplorer and windows live messenger is allow to conect to the net,the rest is block

20. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

much simpler intruder security here, it's called no. quick, efficient, effective, rolls off of the tongue easily. once intruders learn that is the default answer, they stop asking.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.