The Gadgetbar Toolbar... Safe??????

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by metallicakid15, Sep 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

2. AdamStable

AdamStable Registered Member

Yep. Me and 8 of my buddies downloaded it a long time ago... It's never given us any problems and has been an awesome addition to our PC's. One of my buddies has a computer guy who runs his own pc SHOP - and when he gave it to him to have it checked out, they said that the Gadgetbar was fine.

No spyware or nothing. They have a good privacy policy too. It turned out to be a jammin toolbar. Just recently they made more additions and it's better than ever. Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy this toolbar on your PC. :thumb:

3. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Registered Member

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Do u really believe softpedia?

5. Wai_Wai

What's your opinion about this website?

Anyone who are concerned may wish to do your own due diligence:
    Softepida:
    http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/softpedia.com/summary

Compared with download.com:
    http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/download.com?aff_id=0

By the way, not all software listed in Softpedia has the "malware-free" awards since they do not have time to test every single application. So a program with the award should be have a greater chance of being safe than those without.

:cool:

6. Wai_Wai

About "the safety of programs"

If one is somewhat paranoid, every closed-source software can be potentially dangerous, or cannot be trusted. We have no way to see how exactly *in every aspect* the program will perform. It is similar to touching the object in the darkness. There's no 100% sure-fire way to ensure a program is completely safe. Even well-reputed program like ZoneAlarm can be caught of doing something suspicious (see ZoneAlarm - a perfect spy AND ZoneAlarm spying discussion).

Open-source programs may be the only way to go since it is much much harder to hide malicious codes. Logically it would be silly for a malware author to write an open-source malware. I have yet to see an open-source malware.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think on same lines.

8. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

The problem I have with these reviews is that they are all very similar. All the reviewers have either one or two total posts (except the first poster who had four). Those with multiple posts also reviewed the firefox gadget toolbar. Plus all the reviews have an eerily similar writing style. I would suspect all the reviews are made by a single individual with multiple softpedia user names. Many of the reviews on download.com about this toolbar have a similar writing style.

The web site of gadgetbar is not available. When you click its link the download pops up.

If anyone else has used this toolbar please let me know. It has the looks of a total scam.

BTW- the Adamstable has only one post total. And has not posted anything since his thumbs up to this toolbar.

For a good piece of reading about this "spyware" toolbar please visit the following link:

http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=21129&sid=e45545629fe4515a9d2929e3930e6fbe

Last edited: Nov 23, 2006
  9. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

After doing some reading at the link posted by acr1965 I'd pass on this one.

10. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Wai wai if you REALLLLLY wanna go paranoid: do you trust the compiler for the open-source software?
    Mrk

11. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Wow you think exactly like me. These download sites are for what they are: download sites. Don't read the reviews lol. The majority are so suspicious. Some completly smear legit products and others praise for useless/crapware.
    They are to laugh, not to be taken them seriously.:D Maybe some are honest reviews, BUT YOU'LL NEVER KNOW FOR SURE!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.