The Future of Memory - MRAM

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Searching_ _ _, Jan 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Disadvantages:
    Price per MegaByte; They won't be replacing the RAM in your computer any time soon.
    $30,000 for 1 gig of ram makes it outside my price range. :(
    Limited production sizes
    All Malware is Persistent

Advantages:
    Persistence; Your OS would be instantly accessable when turned on. No boot time. Any data, like that novel you were writing, would not have to be saved before turning off the PC.
    While the information remains persistent in MRAM with no current, it does require 3 to 5 times more current for a write or erase of a memory region compared to DRAM.
    Smaller than DRAM
    Faster than DRAM
    99% less total energy usage than DRAM.
    Currently MRAM is only being produced in 4Mbit and smaller. A Megabit(Mb) is not equivilent to a megabyte(MB); 1 Megabit is equal to about 125,000 bytes. The 4Mbit size would only be a replacement for say BIOS inside the personal computer. Prices for the Everspin 4Mb MRAM chips are about $15 each @ 10k quantities, making the price about $30 per megabyte.

http://everspin.com/
    Wikipedia MRAM

2. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

This everlasting quest for speed is just not winnable. That's why I am satisfied with my boot time, and in that case, every single piece of hardware on my somewhat capable computer.

3. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

It's not just a question of speed, it's speed and density barriers they're trying to over come.

I am sure that when it's common place, you'll have MRAM too Techoutsider. :)

I guess you wouldn't be interested in plastic memory where 1s and 0s are blue and green laser light.

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Well you know what, I like the fact RAM is lost when the power goes. I hope this is the way it is always kept. I don't want another hard drive, I want a workspace I can throw away when I'm done.

Now RAM which is lost but uses less power, I'm all for!

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

In 10 years time, computers will be running mram and ss hard disks ... it will be fun ... especially 3d virtualization :) We're at the beginning of the fun stuff, just like people with radio and tv were 100 years ago, and we don't realize it.
    Mrk

6. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

When it's mainstream, I'll consider it. Now, it's just a pipe dream.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.