The Family Computer is gonna die...

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Teraclips, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teraclips

Teraclips Registered Member

Hi, today I updated the purchased ESET SS and Im runnig a full system scan and to my surprise the laptop is full of viruses cause my little stupid bro never update the antivirus he just play play play but no responsability, ah well since I got my own laptop I let them to see why Im so freak about security. Well the thing is when I was running it I got like 170 messages of the same 3 things a virus, trojan and other stuff and in the scan log during the process it said: 4 threats infiltred or something(sorry english isnt my first lenguage) and now im running spybot search and destroy to try to take them out once and for all. Men ESET still finding threats. Can some1 recommend some other programs to help ESET to finish them. Thank you
    PD:Never but I mean NEVER write your email adress for activating and antivirus or etc in a infested pc hahahahaa. Just make a new one.

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Whats your OS XP Or Vista? See here. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=178177 See where it says "If your computer is infected please complete the following"

3. GaryRW

GaryRW Registered Member

There may, on rare occasions. be valid programs tagged as threats. I run AccessDTV, an HDTV hw/sw bundle. and get "...accessdtvclock.exe - probably unknown NewHeur_PE virus [7]" on demand scans. It is a false positive, but probably rare in the whole scheme of things.

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  4. Teraclips

Nah they where viruses and spyware and all that I took care of most but there still some other problems, hmm I didnt knew that I have to run scans in every account in the laptop to get rid of it.

5. Capp

Capp Registered Member

You don't have to run scans with every account, but you should scan with an account that has administrative privelages. Otherwise, you might not have permission for a particular part of the OS and could cause cleaning problems.

If you find that you are continuously finding the same threats when you do a scan, its possible that the threat is replacing itself anytime it is removed. This does happen.
    Have you tried doing a full scan in Safe Mode?

6. Teraclips

In safe mode? no I havent, Ill try ty and by the way the OS is XP.

7. Capp

Capp Registered Member

To boot in safe mode:

Restart your computer
    Before you see the Windows loading screen come up, begin pressing F8 on your keyboard (thats the function button at the top, not the F key with the 8 key)
    You will see the Advanced Boot options. Choose Safe mode and you'll be taken to the desktop.

Safe mode is a diagnostic way to log into Windows. It forces it to only load the necessary programs and services that Windows needs to run. This will allow you to remove those pesky viruses that try to start up with Windows and prevent you from removing them through normal scans.

HTH

8. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Just another quick suggestion. You may want to disable System Restore until the cleaning is done. Very possible that one or more of your restore points are infected. This will show up in scans but will not be cleanable. After the PC is pronounced healthy again you can re-enable System Restore.

9. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Thanks Thunder, I completely forgot that part. :blink:

10. Teraclips

Hahaha very descriptive appreciate that, ok Ill give it a try.Thank you

11. Teraclips

Where do I find that option in XP? Hahaha to many vista. And thank you

12. ThunderZ

My pleasure. :thumb: That one has frustrated me a few times myself until I read\realized the infection location. :oops:

13. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Right-Click "My Computer" on your and choose "Properties"
    Click the "System Restore" tab
    Check the box that says "Turn off System Restore" then click ok.

Make sure to turn it back on after you have finished all your scanning.

14. ThunderZ

Right click on My Computer\Properties\System Restore tab.

edit; beat me by a hair Capp.

15. Teraclips

Ok thank you both of you for sharing some knowledge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.