The ErikAlbert Approach - A test

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Peter2150, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Not me, but I'm not an expert either. The only thing I can think of, is the user himself, who can download an infected file, install it, run it after approval of AE and freeze it. Then your computer will be infected forever.
    The user is really the weakest link in any security setup and that means me, ErikAlbert.

2. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

If a user is confident of not making that mistake, then she/he doesn't need much more than something to prevent remote code execution to download/install an executable.

There must be many such users, which probably explains why so many people have just one or two security products. See the "What is your Setup" Thread.

----
    rich

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

The answer to that goes back to what started me on this in the first place. And yes the weak link was ME. I was assuming because I trusted something it was trustworthy. Someone else misfortune proved that not valid. I have to admit,with a bit of care Sandboxie and FDISR(frozen or not) is really rock rock solid.

I've always been a bit concerned about my 2nd internal drive, and the simple addition to Sandboxie of d: solved that. A lot of folks have tried Sandboxie, and anytime any one comes close Tzuk plugs the hole.

I think Erik can attest to the difference in the current versions. Also the price is right. $25 gets you an unlimited site license.

Pete

4. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

That's what i was thinking how did that virus actually get onto your locked drive. :D

5. ErikAlbert

Wilders isn't the real world, most members are already informed.
    At malware forums, like SWI, you see the real average users at work : one HijackThis log after another and all these qualified helpers are addicted to solve these logs, like crossword puzzles.

6. Peter2150

Actually PC Security, blocked the del, and blocked the reformat, with the drive hidden and locked, but the virus still got to it. That's why when the file and holder hiding program didn't stop the reformat, I didn't go any further.

7. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

If you will qualify that statement to read, "some real average users" I will concur. I know many "average" users who never get infected.

BTW - in other threads you've mentioned how you trust your sources for software.

Will we get to the point where Erik Albert's R.I.P.S. will consist of just one security product: Sandboxie (along with FDISR and Firewall for protection)?

----
    rich

8. Long View

Long View Registered Member

One of my average user clients telephoned - he had managed to rotate his desktop thru 90 degrees and needed a bit of help. A few days ago another lost his outlook pst. Another thought his wireless keyboard was broken - just because he had not recharged the batteries. So far none of them have managed to get infected. Perhaps we should reclassify average users into those who don't know enough to get infected and those who know enough to get into trouble - but not out of it ?

9. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

My intention is always to get to minimal setup,and thanks to our fellow members i learned a lot about how to do that. Security is a necessity to protect personal stuff and if settled to my content it will stay that way for a long time.Maybe your situation is different but 95 % of PC time i got to work on it to make a living.so security in my case is a necessity but not a toy to play with as is the case with most average people i guess.

10. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

Inter-Protocol Cross-site scripting...

The time period between the recovery of two snapshots is still a field for exploits. The sandbox will enclose the malware, but can sandboxing stopping it from acting?

/C.

11. Peter2150

Yes. See above when I tested with sanboxie. Malware was unable to infect either the real c: drive or the e: drive. It's presence could only be seen looking at the c: drive in the sandbox. Even rebooting it was contained in the sandbox and gone, when the sandbox was deleted. So in Erik's case even if he left the sandbox alone, and rebooted, the reboot would clean out the sandbox with fdisr and system is clean.

pete

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Concerning PC Security for a moment. I'm not as quick to panic and discount PC Security just like the KillDisk trojan test from a few months back.

Was the test virus that compromised PC Security's LOCK of common type or similar in nature to KillDisk? Because unless you really go looking for trouble in dark areas of the web or else locally test POC's and other various viruses, a user surely takes into account that they wouldn't chance damaging their DATA partition anyway and of course would first disconnect it manually before doing some research like this unless like Peter2150, you're trying to break into a LOCK program deliberately to test it's RAW protection capabilities of the app alone.

I guess what i'm getting at here is that since i already Team up PC Security with the likes of SandboxIE & my HIPS or AE, i got a front line already ahead of any tampering with PC Security and my DATA partition being "Hid * Locked" is completely safe IMHO. At the very least from any in-the-wild viruses/malware/rootkits which require an executable to fire anyway.

So in answer to Erik's disappoinment of PC Security i just like to add for the record, PC Security in and of itself like any other security program is never intended to serve as your ONLY means of protection. I will continue to enjoy the additional benefits of PC Security and is my belief anyone else can too, so long as you are implimenting the classic layered approach.

How this all plays into my FREEZE snapshot is anybodys guess though, since i just created one yesterday. Before now i simply haven't seen the need to delay my system boot up while it Copy/Updates the FROZEN snapshot from whatever wrote to it during use. I always depended on Power Shadow/Returnil for a simple and quick Boot-To-Restore! But keep in mind i been using SandboxIE exclusively for months now and it's that extra advantage with it that keeps everything else reasonably isolated from ANY infections.

13. Peter2150

Easter, you have to put it into the context of the what and why. First I discount, anything that requires disconnecting this or that. I can use an external drive and turn it off. But it's the 2nd internal drive, and what Erik was concerned with was Okay FDISR takes care of my primary drive, but what about my secondary. Take the case of either a drive by download or simply the case of I have a piece of software I've been told was safe, but it might not be. C: drive is fine, if as it installs you have a reason to be suspicious of what is going on, reboot and frozen snapshot is taken care of. But what about your 2nd internal drive. Erik was hoping the PC Security would protect it, and it didn't. Granted it problably wasn't intended to in the first place, but doesn't matter. It didn't do the job Erik wanted.

Pete

14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

That's a point from one opinion but IMO that's not sufficient enough reason alone to simply discount a very useful program that indeed does protect my DATA partition just because of "one" test with a single piece of malware deliberately implimented to compromise the software's function and show it was easily penetrated.
    Like you suggest yourself and i repeat again, ALONE, any software no matter what can be penetrated/compromised. Eventually we'll see this with SandboxIE too although i hope not anytime soon, but it's inevitable because ANY software will always have some weakness someplace because of it's very makeup which is machine code.

I just feel it's not fair to bash off and discount such a program based on such a test aimed at it alone. Although it does open ground for some concern it's no real limitation unless a user depends on it as a sole means for protection. The odds are just too much higher in favor of it's usefullness then against it and especially when combined with the technologically advanced security programs we enjoy today in the form sandboxes, virtualizations, ISR's, HIPS, etc.

15. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

The 'walls (GW and DW) are policy-based sandboxes. This means that they don't create a virtual container where all disk related operations done by sandboxed apps are redirected.
    To the untrained eye, this may look as a vulnerability, since malware files are saved to the real disk, although they can't do anything.
    Erik,
    You were advised to do this (control access permissions through your sandbox) some months ago :cool:

16. Peter2150

Easter, you are trying to kick a dead horse. PC Security is great at what it was intended for, no doubt. But for Erik's approach, he tried using it for something it really wasn't intended for, and it didn't work. Point is, if someone was looking for a piece of software, JUST, to do what Erik wanted, then PC Security isn't it. Plain and simple. Bear in mind this thread is about a very specific scenario, and how software fits that scenario. Not generalizations about the software.

Pete

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  17. Peter2150

Did one additional test today. Tested Drive Sentry. Bizarre results. They now have built in AV protection. I installed it set it up, and had it protect the E:\ drive. Everything seemed working, it would alert, when it seemed appropriate.

Then I started the virus install. It immediately recognized it as a virus, but allowed me to ignore or quarentine. I also was getting the usual pop up's from OA and SSM, and was allowing them while again taking note of the actions reported.

Now here's the weird part. Early in the virus install it makes a registry modification disabling taskmanager. It properly popped up with a virus alert again giving me the Ignore and Quarantine option. I did nothing with it, but kept answering the pop up's from OA and SSM until they indicated the installation was done. With the pop up still there from Drive Sentry I checked the e: drive and it was infected. A failure I guess.

Will report this on their forum.

As a further note. I will have a test key for Defense Wall monday. I am betting it will pass. Will keep you all posted.

Pete

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

PC Security failed badly against a malware. Eric was using it to protect himself against exactly the same type of malware( multi-partition/ multi-drive malware). That,s enough to discard it.

19. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

Good to hear! Since I´m not using a VM myself, these virus testings have been very interesting to follow. But isn´t there any risk for your samples to compromise the host OS? I´m wondering because I would like to make some experimental testings myself, but hesitate because of the risk.

/C.

20. Peter2150

When I fool with this stuff, I also have the host, running ShadowDefender with both drives protected. Just in case. Also images, FDISR, etc.

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have still to hear of a malware breaking off VM.

22. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

Just in case, I think I will dedicate a separate machine for these activities...;)

/C.

23. Peter2150

Okay, couldn't resist put GesWall to the same test.

Got it installed and set up. Did see any special settings that might have mattered. Disabled AV and ssm and oa. Already knew what they would do, I just wanted to observe geswall.

1st Test. Ran into a major problem. ME. I just double clicked on the virus. Of course it just ran, and infected the VM. Duh. Rollback the VM, and get to do it all over.

2nd Test. Finally did it right. Right clicked on the virus, and ran it isolated. Geswall did it's job. Virus files were installed, but marked isolated. Taskmanager still worked properly, as did regedit. Rebooted and no evidence of the virus being present. Great.

3rd Test. Then I got curious. I have these files on both disks isolated. In the ErikA case, the c: drive would be cleaned up. But what happened if I uninstalled Geswall. So I did. I was sort of hoping it would remove all the files it had isolated but it didn't. Rebooted, and clearly no problem with the virus, but still it bothers me that those files are left.

Pete

24. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Thanks for the test Peter. Sandboxes are very powerful.
    This is why is better to recommend Sandboxie to novices. If you don't know what are you doing you can mess things with DW and GW (more so with GW because it lacks the rollback option of DW). The upside of policy sandboxes is better performance (since there aren't any disk redirections) and somewhat better protection against user-mode keyloggers. Convenience vs speed ;)
    However, in a real world scenario, the virus file would come through isolated applications (mail client, web browser) so the chance of shoot in the foot errors are far fewer.

25. ErikAlbert

That's right and Peter said the same thing. I thought that locking wouldn't allow any writing on my second harddisk [D:].
    I never expected that PC Security would fail to do this and Peter proved it wasn't true. I used PC Security because that was enough in theory, instead of using Sandboxie.

After all locking is a SIMPLE thing to do, while all security softwares are complex and that means more bugs, more failures.
    My idea was good enough, the security software failed and proved AGAIN that security software can't be trusted.
    That's why I've spend so much attention and time on RECOVERY, not security and I keep my frozen snapshot, in case Sandboxie fails and because my frozen snapshot does alot more than just removing malware during reboot.
    I don't see a frozen snapshot as perfect because removing malware during reboot is TOO LATE in theory and that's why I still have security software on board, that act IMMEDIATELY to stop the execution and that is an indirect
    protection of my data partition [D:] as well.

To me nothing really changed. I trusted PC Security and now I have to trust Sandboxie. I don't see any difference. The only reason why I changed from one software to another is that Peter proved that PC Security couldn't do the job. If Peter's test had proved that PC Security was completely safe, I was still using PC Security.

For the record : I'm not blaming anybody that PC Security failed, except the developper. I'm an adult, not a kid and when I decide to install a software, I'm the one and only one, who is responsible. I made a big mistake and it won't be the last one and I have no problem with admitting a mistake and correct that mistake. I installed Sandboxie immediately after Peter's test, because I couldn't trust PC Security anymore. I'm lazy, but I'm also a man of immediate action, if necessary.

I also uninstalled DefenseWall to avoid conflicts between DefenseWall and Sandboxie.
    The question is : is DefenseWall as good as Sandboxie or better than Sandboxie ? And I'm not talking about the fact that DefenseWall is quiet and doesn't show as much as Sandboxie.
    Keep in mind that DefenseWall is also able to protect my data partition [D:], but I found locking a better idea in those days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.