The end is near for DuckDuckGo ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by acr1965, Apr 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

http://www.ghacks.net/2012/04/13/bing-to-charge-for-search-api-calls/
    http://www.bing.com/community/site_blogs/b/developer/archive/2012/04/12/bing-dev-update.aspx

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I don't want to sound like a basher per regards to the Duck & Bing, but if you been acclimated to Google as long as i have, maybe it's understandable that those 2 are easily insignificant useless searchers from my experience with them, which wasn't for very long.

Bing might be MS's answer to Google, but with all do respect, IMO falls woefully short in comparison. The only reason it even attracted any favor at all is just because it's integrated into Microsoft's O/S platforms by default.

Duck on the other hand by it's very name conjures up a school girl's imagination from crayon coloring books.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but mine just happens to spring from active experience and AFAIK Bing can never stack up to the likes of a Google no matter what MS in their infantile ideaology dreams up for it.

Plainly put, Bing to me is simply a cheap copy-cat taken from something which will always prove vastly superior in that regard.

No rant, just a personal expression of pure disgust that MS should better leave Search Engines to more innovative intelligent pros like Google.

3. guest

guest Guest

Easter, please, tell me: who (or what) will compete with Google's search engine if Microsoft decides to abandon its Bing search engine?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2012
  4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Microsoft Swap Bing for Facebook Shares?
    I wonder if it's related. Perhaps they want to get a feel of the valuation?
    Hanging on to Bing doesn't seem to please investors?

5. guest

guest Guest

We will see if that rumor has any consistency. Meanwhile, I think the plan is still this: Microsoft's plan to stop Bing's $1 billion bleeding

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

The money.cnn link has this:
    So in no way is it necessary that there's just one possible saviour.

Even if it is to be, the way suggested seems eerily similar:
    If the degree of relevance the "displayed" links show is high, the "Privacy Brigade" will have something to say. Others may complain about the "clutter".

7. guest

guest Guest

That was, pretty much, a hypothetical/philosophical passage. lol

Fact is, there is no other search engine in a better position today to compete with Google.

Bing has what? 16% of market share?.

By logic, a new search engine would need even more time than what's currently predicted for Bing to become profitable.

It's in no way a good idea to trash Bing, unless you are inclined against Microsoft, or, inclined to deliberately discriminate anything "Microsoft" without further considerations.

What matters IMHO is the relevance/truthfulness of what they may eventually say.

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

No need to pacify or apologize to supporters of Bing. I already mentioned, everyone is entitled to their opinions. It's clear where this user stands, but...

This quoted post sums it up quite accurately i think.

Oh, and as a caveat for thought, it might be similarily relevant if we were to revisit the outstanding success of Internet Explorer in comparison.

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

One important fact is not to be overlooked here. Check this out!

Google is been in the Search Engine business far longer then this Bingo has which carries some significant weight on just that aspect alone.

GoogleBot also is been crawling long before some current readers have :D

To reiterate the fact already made for the sake of applying facts to the argument comparison, it is something worth noting that the Internet Explorer Browser favor evaporated in much the same fashion as Bing is on track to become. (A flash-in-the-pan) or experiment for lack of a better description.

Bottom line, at least from my personal standpoint, is that Microsoft should keep it's nose in what it supposed to be best at, and thats producing Operating Systems that can endure a reasonably long life expectancy, and leave the Search Engines to their respective Leaders in the field.

Can anyone envision Google endeavoring to compete against the Windows Operating System with say a GoogleDeluxe 64bit? :D

10. guest

guest Guest

Yeah I noticed it.
    Google is crawling Wilders content faster. So what?

Tell me please:
    * how are you comparing such "favors"?
    * Do you have any data regarding this?
    * Please, please, tell me that you are counting comments or something. :argh::argh::argh: LOL

Respective Leaders? There is only one leader search engine, and it's Google.

And these days, only Bing can seriously compete with it.

But Google is trying to compete with Microsoft on OS too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome_OS

11. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

ot posts removed

12. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Hmmmm ... this is an interesting development. I'm a bit concerned how it will fiscally hit DDG & Start Page (Ixquick). Hopefully Ixquick can survive this at least.

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

For a rather mediocre topic discussion The end is near for DuckDuckGo who would have believed opinions would make so many feathers fly in the wind? :cool:

Enough already over Bingo, some users take a fancy to it because their stuck with it simply because new MS IE drives it straight thru to their optic nerve :)

Others find it more to their liking for various reasons and that being a change from Google.

As for Duck, i haven't a clue where thats going, and for that matter, where it came from. :D

14. Daveski17

It seems to have ruffled feathers, that's for sure. LOL

Maybe its goose is well & truly cooked? ;)

15. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Perhaps these others can virtuously highlight their pro bono function (that of reducing Goog's share). In that case, an "arrangement" may be reached.

16. Daveski17

Just as long as I don't actually have to use Google's search engine too often, I don't care.

17. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Whilst which is superior is debatable, Bing being a copy-cat is not. It seems like every other month I see an article on tech sites about Google copying yet another Bing feature, sorry!

18. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

There was a list about innovative companies. Let's see if I can find it.

Here we go ... http://www.forbes.com/special-features/innovative-companies-list.html

19. Daveski17

Those Sandvik saws were innovative though. ;)

20. elapsed

LOL, you honestly think Microsoft, with Microsoft Research constantly pumping innovations is less innovative than Starbucks? I don't think anyone actually believed that list when it was released. But since you as someone that "hates statistics" so much would only post something so meaningless as that to flame bait, let's put it another way, is an investment company more innovative than Google? :rolleyes:

21. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Just what innovative products has Microsoft come out with lately ?

22. elapsed

23. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Please stay on subject and don't take the thread any further on a tangent. Thank you

24. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Well Bing is it's default search engine. It's a highly debatable integrated product which is intended of course to challenge Google.

Duck surely was not very cleverly thought out IMO, but then a whole host of other similar fashions from Microsofts O/S have proven equally risky w/ loss of interest entirely.

Windows 8 when it finally nears release will no doubt touch many nerves as the flow of opinions gather more steam in that respect.

Yeah, Duck will go

25. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

Personally I always try to install things which I think they're better for the users, but in the case of Ixquick, DuckDuckGo & StartPage, I always get the same question sooner or later: "Where is Google?" (I never delete Google from the search engines, I only change the defaults, so you can only imagine the basic knowledge on browsers of average user). Basically you have only one choice to get to the average user: get big and start spending money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.