The Complete, Unquestionable, And Total Failure of Information Security.

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ronjor, May 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Story

2. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Thanks Ron

Scary stuff:

This little link from that story caught my eye and could serve as a reminder to all; thanks to these forums evrybody here is better off than many new users, I know I am. I wouldn't have known any of this when I got my first laptop and rushed off into the www.

What happened at the shop when your new box was set-up?

Surviving the first day:
    http://www.sans.org/rr/whitepapers/windows/1298.php

3. Upasaka

Upasaka Guest

Another frightening story!
    The link from Sans .org should be compulsory reading for all 1st time be PC users.

My first PC was bought as a refurbished second user unit,I had never used a PC ever..........the "expert" behind the counter did his best to impress with endless techno talk and assured me that everything needed for internet use was already in place.
    NO you don't need anything else,this is a modem plug it in and off you go:blink:

Well it wasn't too long before things were not ,shall we say "right":mad:

NO security of any kind,no AV, no firewall, nothing.

Funny how fast you can learn things when you need to.:blink:

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The best thing to do is spread the word to fellow computer users. The Internet has changed from the early days. It's a battle now.

5. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Heh

.. ..we're not that old are we? :ninja:

The pace of change has been staggering.

Lbd

6. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

The "failures" occur mostly with users not taking adequate precautions so can hardly be used as an indictment of security products generally (except for those in Windows itself).

7. herbalist

herbalist Guest

That article doesn't say much for some of the "IT experts" that work in many businesses. At a previous job, I watched their senior IT guy fight for a week to get a virus out of their system. Server was down all week. Security software is no better than the guy that configures/maintains it.
    Rick

8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

It´s a nice article but I still think that with all these tools available nowadays people (IT pro´s) should be doing a better job. I mean of course protecting a corporate network is a lot more complex than protecting a home PC but I still think a lot of damage is being done because of mistakes made by humans, with that I mean: not patching on time, configuring software wrongly, no good overall security strategy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.