The Best Recovery Setup

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by WilliamP, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I have been given a computer and I plan to set it up as a test bed. It has XP . I plan to remove all the programs other than the OS. Then I will put in the same security programs that I have on my other computers. What programs would be best for recovery if something was able to get to it?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You asked in a different thread about using Shadow Protect and FDISR, which is exactly what I do.

For test purposes I would keep everything on another drive. Normally I image maybe weekly, and update FDISR archives prior to any changes.

If I think what I am installing has significant ramifications to the operating system, then I will image.

Using the archives gives you several advantages. First is they are faster. Then if I want a simple uninstall of something I just use FDISR. If it's major I may restore an image. The fdisr archive allows me the option of restoring an earlier image.

Another factor. If I am testing something that has caused me several hard crashes, to the point, I might consider running chkdsk, I'll just restore an image. This will fix any file system issues.

The options are wide, and unlimited.

Pete

3. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Thanks for the reply Pete. With FD-ISR is ShadowProtect necessary?

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

ShadowProtect is necessary, even when you use FDISR, because FDISR can fail too and if it does, you will need SP to restore your system.
    Even a legitimate software can corrupt FDISR, it doesn't even have to be malware and I'm speaking of experience, but it's very rare that FDISR fails.

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Probably already answered before someplace, but are there any needed changes required for ShadowProtect to completely and entirely also fully back up $ISR with all it's snapshots/archives? Provided that's whats involved in one config for example.

In other words, theres no need to uninstall FD, the program, or export it's snapshots/archives, and SP easily restores all these.

Thanks

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I do a full backup of my system partition with the default configuration of SP and restore them the same way and that includes all snapshots of FDISR.
    I never uninstall anything or change anything, if I have to do this, something is wrong.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  7. Peter2150

ShadowProtect but's an FDISR equiped machine back the way it was when imaged, no changes or modifications needed.

Pete

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thank You Eric & Pete for the feedback.

It's now time that i see for myself just how efficient SP can be. Talk about layered approach, if i go through with this, i'll have 3 backup solutions in inventory, and with this surely i can't go wrong.

What has my curiosity at the top of the scale right now is the time set incrementals which at the end of the day can be all scaled into a single backup. Also the restore to a different machine/hardware is of interest, thats a bonus benefit in my book.

9. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

If you actually own a copy of FDISR,then I tend to agree that using it with Shadow Protect is a good solution.

As Erik Albert has said FDISR certainly isnt perfect, a few annoyances you have to work around and already had a BSOD.
    Neither is SP,but it seems reliable-so a reliance on FD for quick ISRs(apart from all the other permutations and combinations possible) and SP for that unbreakable(hopefully) final security seems a good combination.

10. Hairy Coo

The ability of SP to make lightning fast,tiny incrementals at any intervals from 15 minutes up is an outstanding feature.
    Actually,I was considering scrapping any ISR because of this,but the restore does take in the minutes!

11. Peter2150

Kinda a humorous, sort of freudian slip but that should have been "ShadowProtect puts an FDISR machine......:D

12. Peter2150

The useage kind of depends on the need. On my business use machine where data changes frequently during the day the continuous incrementals work great. On my other machine I don't bother, as imaging and FDISR updates are more an on demand kind of thing.

Both have their place.

13. Hairy Coo

Pete
    In my case I also have a lot of data change-so its either SP or Replicator for the backups-FD would be too slow in any case and KR is slower than SP incrementals.
    The FD Data Anchor of course would work fine for data,but then FD wouldnt protect with a fatal situation.

14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Enters this program's tradeoff, they all have them.

On a new (re)install you have to consider disk space too, snapshots yes are lighter with data anchoring. I like the idea of choosing from many snapshots and my data, My Documents folder contents are there in each one, but also like and even prefer if possible for my archives/images to be restorable in event of any misfortune.

If an attack was to take FD-ISR down and i didn't either REPLICATE or SAVE the contents of My Documents, then all is lost or corrupted beyond use. Not acceptable by any stretch, and so drives me to either back them up regularly if anchoring or store the archives if not.

15. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I just use acronis trueimage on my test system. I can put the machine through hell then simply restore an image which takes less than 2 mins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.