The bad thing about Truecrypt

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Tomwa, May 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tomwa

Tomwa Registered Member

Not sure how it's riskier to be honest. The main issue was that I didn't HAVE another drive (Thus the issue). Wouldn't be a problem if I could print my own money -.-

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

The major risk that I'm considering is a crash (power failure or whatever) during the process. I know that NTFS handles that gracefully. It rolls back whatever didn't complete. I don't know how well Truecrypt would handle that. Anyone know?

3. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

couldnt tell havent had too many powerfailures yet , thou i wouldnt think that itd be a problem imo as long as you dont have write cache buffer flushing disabled

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  4. Enigm

Enigm Registered Member

To the OP .
    Why don't you separate your data and your OS ?
    1 partition for windows, one for the rest, independently encrypted .
    That way you only have to decrypt the small OS-partition, 60-80GB should be plenty for most people . Or you can just re-install on top of the encrypted partition .

To redcell :
    How does it matter what program was used to encrypt ?
    If people think forensic investigators don't know what 1TB of random data on a HDD means, you are deluding yourselves .
    I can very quickly create EXACTLY the same partition-scheme as used by TC .
    Does that PROVE I'm using TC ? No, it does not .

In the article you link to : http://www.shortinfosec.net/2009/02/tutorial-hidden-operating-system-with.html
    we find this little gem :
    Yes please !!
    PLEASE 'destroy the hidden OS ... just to be on the safe side' .. And see how any third-rate shyster will get the case kicked out of court .
    Seriously .. Basing paranoia on the opinion of somebody who thinks forensic investigators destroy evidence on purpose ? Isn't that a felony btw ?

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  5. Tomwa

Tomwa Registered Member

Either I havent explained this very well or you haven't read the thread, I had two drives, one broke, one remains, the one that remains was a FDE setup, I backed up my data onto the FDE OS disk in order to save it from the dying drive.

I have a UPS so that is of little concern to me, does it make me more vulnerable to cold boot attacks? I'd imagine so but of that I am not really concerned, if somebody really wants to do a cold boot for my keys they could easily just freeze the RAM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.