Thanks Process Guard!

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by siliconman01, Jun 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siliconman01

    siliconman01 Registered Member

    Mar 6, 2003
    West Virginia (USA)
    One item to watch out for if you install Windows XP-SP2-RC2 is the Remote Dialup services that it installs and activates.

    I run with an always connected 2 mbit cable modem. I observed that after installing RC2 there was a noticeable delay in a web page opening up....say 2-3 seconds. Using Process Guard's monitoring log, I found a service named RASAUTO.EXE was executing every time the internet was accessed. This was not happening prior to the RC2 installation.

    If this problem appears on your machine, go into Services.msc and disable

    Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
    Remote Access Connection Manager

    Reboot the machine after disabling these. This definitely stopped my delays. Why MS enables these on a cable modem is beyond me. :mad: :ninja:

    So THANK YOU Process Guard for showing me the Light! :D
  2. Pilli

    Pilli Registered Member

    Feb 13, 2002
    Hampshire UK
    Thanks for the tip siliconman01, I dion't think I'll bother with RC2, I'll wait for the full release now. My laptop is working OK with an earlier beta ;)
  3. Dazed_and_Confused

    Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

    Mar 4, 2004
    Is it enough to set these services to Manual, or do they have to be disabled? o_O

    P.S. I'm using DSL
  4. nick s

    nick s Registered Member

    Nov 20, 2002
    I guess it's a default "enhancement". Found the following here at

    "Automatic update enhancements. Windows XP SP2 makes it easier for home users to turn on Automatic Update, which downloads and installs critical updates automatically. New technology has also been added to help dial-up customers download updates more efficiently."

    The services were never enabled when I installed SP2 RC2, but I disabled Automatic Updates early in the install. Cable here too. I think I have Remote Access Auto Connection Manager and Remote Access Connection Manager set to manual on my DSL connection (I'll double-check tomorrow).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.