Testing Software

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TVH, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

In fact, member "Flinchlock" (I hope I spell it well) was the first one, who came up with this test. After running it the first time, I was so impressed that it was printed in my memory as well. :D

2. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Oh well Eric (Eicar), seems it's copped your your name ftb.:cool:

Unless Flinlocko_O complains?:D

3. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

Rollback does this :) .

Graham

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I'm also surprised at the lack of attention to ShadowUser, particularly considering the success of ShadowProtect which is from the same company. ShadowUser and DeepFreeze were the original virtual programs produced by very established and reliable companies. All the other 'similar programs' if anything are either free or significantly cheaper (important factors) .

In the Storagecraft forum, ShadowUser has something like 60 entries in 2 years, quite reliable I think.

@ ErikAlbert

I won't do your deadly test for two reasons: I'm not that good at recovering from disasters, and if I have to, I'll deal with real disaster situations. Luckily there are already quite a number of volunteers who generously share their tests experiences.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Shadowuser regrettably is a dated program. Two big short comings. First it requires a reboot to enter shadow mode. 2nd. It is vulnerable to anything that might attack the mbr/partition table.

Pete

6. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

FDISR is great for what you want to do. You probably will never get the Kill Disc trojan. If you do probably nothing will save you. As long as you don't introduce malware to test it FDISR will suffice to test questionable files as will returnil or sandboxie.

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

If had to trade the possibility to continue a shadow session on reboot (SU) and the possibility to enter shadow mode without a reboot (all the others), for me the first is of paramount importance in some situations compared to the second (Testing Software is the topic).

About the vulnerability, you are right, you tested it yourself, but you also agreed that other applications can stop such a threat (not to mention the fact that other similar applications suffer from this vulnerability).

"SU is a dated program" (2 years for a virtualization program is not that long), let's say it hasn't been updated yet. I'm also interested to see how many of the new offsprings will still be there in 2 years time.

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

As already been tested against the destructive power of Kill Disk trojan, POWER SHADOW comes out with a very nice passing grade as well as it virtualizes an entire drive and needs "NO REBOOT" to initialize it's shadow-mode, just one to dump the session.

That's a HUGE difference in realiability with safety.

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I thought the thread is about testing software, and with POWER SHADOW you are limited.

10. Peter2150

Absolutely. And you are right, of all the shadows, only shadow user has the option to reboot while shadowed, so indeed you can install software to test.

For testing purposes, my primary allies are FDISR and ShadowProtect for imaging. That gives me lots of flexibility. I can usually recover with FDISR, but if I have a really hard crash, I may restore an image, just to be sure there is no corruption.

11. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Actually, the OP has yet to specify which type of 'risky' software that he wants to try. The OP has an imaging program which would allow them to try anything, but it wouldn't be convenient/speedy. Without further details, it would be hard to recommend favorites.

Returnil and PS 2.8.2 both protect the MBR, but don't allow for installing programs that need a reboot. My question is, what type of risky program would need a reboot and why would you want to try it unless you were investigating malware.

Free options are Returnil if the 'risky' program doesn't need a reboot and SteadyState if it needs a reboot. An imaging program would also work.

My dream setup: Imaging + ISR + Returnil and Sandboxie ;)

I have a question. When a program needs a reboot, why is that? Is it installing drivers?

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

There isn't only malware to test, and lots of programs require a reboot (Windows updates most of the time). If I test a program it is uniquely to check if the system hangs for any reasons, and therefore there might be a conflict somewhere, or you just don't like the feeling about it, issues with memory resources etc.

I certainly wouldn't test malware with any program except having a good image of the system and (as lately learned from Peter2150) the original Windows CD.

13. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

That's true Osaban. I usually wait awhile after any release, MS updates included, before installing anything. I guess waiting wouldn't guarantee that it would work with my system though. I still would like more details from the OP as to want he's wanting to do.

14. TVH

TVH Registered Member

Thanks for all of your advice. I think im just going to opt for a virtualisation program as all i really need is an environment where i can test out new programs without anything being permanently stored on my hard drive. However, i do need to be able to reboot without exiting the virtual environment for some software so program like FD-ISR and Power Shadow will be of little use in these instances.

Apart from VMware and Bufferzone, does anyone have good virtualisation recommendations?

ATI 11 also has a try and decide feature. Does anyone know if that is any good?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  15. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

With FDISR create a testsnapshot so you can try an app.If you would't keep,reboot to other snapshot and copy/update from a current archive the testsnapshot and tested app. is gone.

If install require a reboot,with FDISR its no problem.

16. TVH

TVH Registered Member

Do these Instant System Recovery programs affect user documents etc? Or do they act similarly to system restore?

17. Peter2150

With FDISR, you have the option of including something like my documents, so it is updated along with the rest of the snapshot or you can exclude it and share it mutually with all snapshots.

As said above FDISR works just fine with anything requiring reboots.

Pete

18. Peter2150

That's exactly what I am doing. Adding a VM machine makes it just a bit dreamier.

Pete

19. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Depends,with FDISR its possible to exclude user data from copy/update by "Anchoring"[fdisr term] these data, so its available in all snapshots,yes in this way they act as a system restore.

20. TVH

TVH Registered Member

Thats great. Thanks. However, does everything get reset at every reboot? Id find that very annoying. I really just want something that would act in a similar way to system restore in that you can undo all changes very quickly when you want to.

21. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

They can better explain then i,!,its the same product.

http://www.softwarepursuits.com/bootback/bootback.asp

22. Peter2150

Let me give you an example. Using FDISR, I use two snapshots and an archive. The first snapshot Primary, is my main working area. The second snapshot, I call secondary, and it is just a stripped down snapshot to boot to. The archive, is just a copy of my primary snapshot.

Working in the primary snapshot, is working just like you do. You'd never know FDISR is there, Reboot, whatever, doesn't matter.

Okay, now I want to check out, test some new software. First thing I do is update my archive, so it reflects current state of my system. I don't use anchoring, so this includes all my working data.

Then I go ahead and install the software I want to try/test. General at this point there are for me 4 scenario's that play out.

1) This is the worst. System crashes. and won't boot. In this case at the FDISR preboot screen I press F1 and have FDISR boot me into the secondary snapshot. I do a copy/update from the archive to my primary snapshot, and then boot back to the primary snapshot. Back like nothing happened.

2) I fire up the new software and immediately don't like it. From the FDISR gui, I boot over to the secondary snapshot, and again use the copy/update from archive to primary, and boot back to primary snapshot. Software is completely gone.

3) I like the new software, in fact I like it so well, I decide I want to keep it permenantly. Now what I do is just do a copy/update from my primary to my archive, and it is now part of my setup.

4) I sort of like it, not sure I want to keep it, but want to give it another play. Generally what I do is repeat step 2, and save the file to test further. I do this as if I go to long, then I may not want to go back to the point I installed it. This is the quickest way to handle this.

Times.

To build an archive/snapshot the first time, takes me about 30 minutes. The copy/updates take in the order of 1 to 2 minutes.

Pete

23. TVH

TVH Registered Member

Thanks Peter. However, in my case, wouldnt Power Shadow or even ATI's Try n Decide be more effective as incase of drive failure etc, ive got my full backup on an external drive.

24. Peter2150

1. Power Shadow no. You can't install anything and have it survive a reboot. So if you shut down for any reason you've lost what you've done.

2. ATI Try and Decide. One of the reason's I use FDISR for this stuff is I know I can count on it to bail me out, even if I have image problems. The archive I mentioned resides on a 2nd disk as do my images. Also my experience with Acronis is if you stick to the core function, like imaging and restoring the disk you will probably be fine. But as you get out to the fringe features beware. Frankly, I wouldn't trust the Try and Decide, function.

Using FDISR, I have recovered to my current system state using the images I took when I first got the machine. I also know from this if I had to I could install Windows, install FDISR, and recover to my current system state. This plus images back's me up from worst case stuff, and I've seen worst case.

Pete

25. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I too echo the complete confidence any customer can take stock in with FD-ISR. I'm only today concluding damage control by creating a new partition to store .arx archives in, and in large part thanks to Pete's knowledge + experience, i now understand the practice of occasionally deleting long sitting archives and recreating them afresh, although i'm still unclear as to exactly what timeline or life expectancy these archives have before the need to replace them. At any rate, FD-ISR archives serve for me anyway at least a generic way to backup my system almost in the same manner as an imaging program IMAGE.

I do a great deal of local testing so it becomes an important matter to have on hand some fashion of quick recovery against potential corruption, and FD-ISR's archives satisfies that requirement perfectly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.