Testing Keriver 1 click restore

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Isso, Aug 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isso

Isso Developer

Hi guys,

I'm testing "Keriver 1 click restore free" on Windows 7, and I'm very impressed with its simplicity and robustness.

I have some questions though:

1. After restore I receive a boot screen telling that Windows didn't shut down successfully. Is it a known problem?
    2. Incremental files are quite large: 100-200 MB, even when taken immediately one after another. Is it normal?
    3. It includes the WinPE recovery environment, which is very nice. But considering that Microsoft is going to stop licensing WinPE, is there any way to restore without it? It mentions recovery CD, but I wasn't able to find a way to build it.
    4. Is the MBR and hidden 100MB boot partition restored?

[edit] - found how to build a CD, but it uses the same WinPE, I'm wondering how will the developers deal with it when its unavailable

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  2. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Hi Isso :)

As for #1: I have found "hot imaging" within most imaging apps will give an event notification in event viewer with 1 Critical error, and that is improper windows shutdown. A kernel power issue. I have found this quite common for hot images across the board, but it does not appear to be something that is paid much attention to. The reason as far as I can tell, is due to the process of creating an image while within windows OS, typically will use VSS service. If this image is then used to restore the windows partition, to windows upon boot, it appears that there was an 'improper shutdown' because there is no record of a proper shutdown.

#2: That does seem larger than normal, but I never do incremental backups, only full images.

#3: In 1 Click free, you can allow it to insert itself into the MBR, in order to boot to the recovery console to restore an image, so yes, you can set it up to restore without the boot media, but it is very wise to have the bootable media available in case of drive problems. The 1 click boot menu, if I remember correctly, will show at boot time, offering to enter 1 click or boot from hard disk. I believe it uses grub4dos to insert its boot menu. Also, you can download the complete Winpe ISO from Keriver so you can burn it to say a boot CD, this ISO offers both backup and restore functionality. Here is the link: http://www.keriver.com/download/OneClickFree.iso

#4: If you have the 100MB SRP partition, as far as I am aware, this too should be backed up or windows may not boot properly. Not sure how the free version handles the SRP, as I do not have that. As far as the MBR being restored, there is no option to do this in 1 click restore, although I do think it does back it up. Keriver Image offers the MBR restorability within its boot media.

Some of this I write from memory, as i use only the 1 click free boot ISO to do cold imaging and restoring when I use it which is not too often, as I use typically Image for Linux or IFL for most of my imaging tasks and restore tasks. 1 click free is a good app, does the job, but of course has less features.

pandlouk has an excellent working knowledge of Keriver, maybe he can add more to anything I may have missed, and there are older threads regarding 1 click free that may also help with additional info.

Hope something of this helps! :)

Jim

3. Isso

Isso Developer

Jim, thank you very much for detailed answer!

4. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

I am also considering using 1CR (Free), but I have some follow-up questions re the above which I hope someone would answer....

Re Q#3: Since 1CR modifies the MBR does that bring about any system (or other app usage) restrictions?
    ...I ask because when I was trialing RollBack Rx it modified my MBR which made defragging and imaging very difficult. :doubt:

Re Q#4: Does anyone know if 1CR can backup Win7's small SRP partition (which I presume is important to do)? :doubt:

Wendi

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  5. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Hi Wendi,

When I tested 1CR-Free (a year ago) I found two major limitations...

1. It was only capable of backing up the partition in which Windows 7 is installed, therefore I do not believe it will backup W7's small (~200MB) primary system partition.
    2. It did not provide any means of verifying its backup images!
    I don't know if that answers your questions, but those were the main drawbacks I noted at the time. Perhaps a more knowledgeable user will come along and speak to your questions.

Hth,
    Cruise

6. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

Cruise,

Thanks for your reply. Each of the two limitations you cited are enough to discourage me from considering the 1CR (Free) any further!

Wendi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.