Testing AV software with one already installed

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ohblu, Aug 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohblu

ohblu Registered Member

I have AV software installed on my computer. I would like to switch to another but I'm afraid it may not be compatible with my computer. Could I temporarily disable my current AV software and install and use another one just to see if it will actually work?

If this is ok to do, is there anything special I need to know first?

Thanks

2. hex_614

hex_614 Registered Member

yes you can do that, actually im also doing that installing a new antivirus software before i uninstall my old antivirus, but you need to disable the real time protection of you existing anti virus so it will not interfere with the installation process.

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Actually, it can be rather more complicated than that. The best course is to uninstall any other AV before trying another. The simple fact of the matter is that system stability will head south in a flash with some combinations of products. Mix and match at your own risk.

Blue

4. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

You could always set up a Virtual PC for all of this...

5. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Using VMWare or something similar is a must in testing. Aside from AV incompatibilities, you will be able to handle your malware set with ease.

Some AV's (with HIPS) may necessitate you to actually activate the malware to see if the sample will be detected/removed/etc. Personally I really wouldn't be partial to doing this in a production environment.

6. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

ohblu,
    I don't know if you wish to set up a VM or not, but as a rule of thumb, it's best to fully uninstall AV software (and rebooting as commanded, and if not reboot anyway) before installing another.
    I've seen certain combinations work OK together. I've seen others totally not work - freezing the machine. The second situation is the more likely in a lot of situations.
    Depends on your knowledge level and how much messing you are prepared to do.
    With Avast, for example, there is a self protection module. You have to disable that in the settings before you can disable the application. I've had Avast and Avira working together in the past, but not what I'd call well.
    If you do this, it's quite likely not a fair test of whatever AV you're about to try out.
    (Just remember to be offline when uninstalling one/installing the other. Then go online for updates.)
    [edit] Some AV's have a removal tool to finish the clean up after the uninstall. Norton, Avast and McAfee ,for example. I'd be inclined to use those tools - if applicable - after uninstalling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.