Tesco Internet

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Michael_aust, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_aust

Michael_aust Registered Member

I live in the UK (so this Q will not apply to people from other countries), but can anyone tell me what Tesco Internet is like. The anytime dial up option. I am currently using AOL but I am getting fed up with it so if anyone knows anyinformation they can supply would be helpful.

Michael

2. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Hi Michael,

I was on Tesco Dial-up from the start when it was £12.99.....then it went down to £12.49...an absolute snip.....I had absolutely no probs with them whatsoever...no cut-offs..nothing....good help from their Email Support Team..
    I live near Louth UK.
    I'm now on their Broadband, £19.97 a Month and no Limits on anything ...again no probs so far..they leave you alone....no Ads....no pushy stuff...they just take your Pennies out the bank every month and that's it....most definitely suits me....NO complaints..
    Anything else I can help with, feel free... :D

Cochise, :cool:
    (Michael also) :D

3. Michael_aust

What sort connection speed on average did you get, Iv been readin peoples reviews on the net and i seemed to be 45 on average. About the email support. Do they help you with technical questions in the email support or is it just general questions. Becuse with the help line not being free id like to avoid that as much as possible.

How many access number does it have? And about the email. Is it reliable and compatible with all email applicatons because if i switch il be using thunder bird.

Is there anything else you could tell me that i have not asked about general things. Like its reliablity becaus it will be used as a family connection so we will all be on it at some time of the day.

Michael

4. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Woaah! Michael,

I don't know about Thunderbird etc.,......I just took it as it was and I had no problems with Email or Explorer.....guess your going to have to bite the bullet and give it a go...or not......personally speaking, nothing on this Earth could be worse than AOHell... :D

So as we say in the UK...the Best of British Mate..... :D :D

Sorry I can't be of much more help......

Very Best Regards, Cochise, :cool:

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, Michael_aust :) in PC PRO's Awards for 2004
    BEST ISP DIAL UP AWARD 2004 went to Demon :D
    "Demon was the clear winner, receiving positive feedback in all areas." the areas they asked about were
    • the reliability of their connections
    • the speed with which ISPs solve problems
    • experience with telephone support lines
    they also found that dial-up subscribers use ISP's email services, so considered this when calculating the results
    http://www.demon.net/echannel/web-g...UMDAwMDAwMDAwMDAx&strCategory=Internet Access

Virgin.net which won in 2002/3 came second, with impressive results in the "problem solving" category.

Awards 2004

in the Broadband category 97% of the respondents recommended Zen
    http://www.zenadsl.com/

these are just the results of a magazine, i haven't used them myself. but, as i will be looking for a Broadband ISP in the next few weeks it would be good if someone who uses Zen could say what they think. :)

here's a site that might help - http://www.ispreview.co.uk/

and here's one for broadband - http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

6. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

Cochise,

I just gotta come in here, coz I can never understand it when I see this type of comment. Whilst accepting that you, and others that say this may well have had bad experiences with AOL, I have to say this... I have been with them for many years... and never had a problem with them or their software, never had a virus, never had a problem with email, never had a problem with my dial up with BT, and only one evening had no access but this was when I had to switch to NTL's limited dial up due to a house move and that was an NTL problem... not AOL. Since then... over a year now... even NTL has not failed again or never cut me off once.

I just don't get it.

AOL for me is fine... easy... does everything I need.

Tesco may also be fine, and in fact Michael, if you switch, then please come back to tell us how you get on... as Cochise finds it good, then it would be great to have you confirm this too. And I would be very interested to see how you find it compares to AOL... which for me... is also good.

7. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

I DID say just my personal opinion zarzens mate....not looking for an arguement......You could maybe ask Michael_aust why he's fed up with AOL??.. :D

8. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Well i myself use zen and have yet to phone there customer service but am told it is excellent. They are one of the dearest of broadband providers thou
    This link here should prove very valuable to you in assessing your needs be it dial up or broadband
    http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/

9. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

With the Tesco BB Package I get a full 512k connection with NO time or download Limits.
    Free Modem and Connection.
    Free Helpdesk for the first 30 Days.(Didn't need it).
    15 Email Addys with Webmail.
    50 megs of Webspace.
    Plus Club-card points on my Monthly Payment of £19.97.....
    No Spam or Pop-up ads from them either....
    Excellent support by Email.
    I reckon thats pretty good compared with some.......

10. Michael_aust

there are a number of reasons why I am fed up with AOL. Firstly I am sick of there perfetic help. Hers and example of how terrible they are. I wanted to know how to clear my aol topspeed cache. So i go into the live help (15 - 20) times. I ask them and geta range of answers NONE of which worked. I was told all sorts from cleaning your temporery internet files to using the quick restore function for aol. they should egleasst know about there own software. Ok I know they cant know about the very very technical things you cant expect them to. But I would not say that was a technical question. In the end i disabled it on aol and blocked the program from accessing the internet. i am still unsure how i clear the cache.

secondly a problem with access numbers. I like to think i run a failry tight security package, Its nothing compared to the stuff some of you guys but I have more then your average home user. Yet there dialler occasionaly decides to dial number like this 12380008089909001 or something along those lines. I have ran numerous scans none of which found anything using; asquared free, ewido free, spybot search and destroy, adaware se personal. I also run tea timer and spyware guard etc. it has happen 4 times in the last month lucky i have cut it off as soon as it had happend. Yet i was assured aol could not be affected by diallers. This may well be adialler i dotn know anyway. I went into the live help and rang them up 4 times alltogether. An they said they have never had any report like this before, well yes they have I rang them up the stupid idiots.

unstability of there dialler. I some tims encounter where the internet stays on i just cant load webpages through aol's broweser, IE or firefox i just get it giving me its ip address thing you know the 123.123.123 But yet i can download. Its not just me who gets it either a friend of mine does.

So i had had enough of this and said to my mum about i and showed her tesco dial up was cheaper, so she rings up about to cancell the service and they give her the hard sell. eventually she caves in. its not like i can do anything about it she pays the bill. (im 18 by the way).

Ontop of this there new connectivity service update which is supposed 2 help you completely stop the chance of getting diallers is completel rubbiish,. I used to be able to chekc what access number i was dialling but now i cant the normal way i have to into start aol system inof etc. When it dials up the internet it says dialling aol its doesnt tell you the access number, i can only check the number it has dialled once it is connected, s for i know i coudl have dialled a prenium rate number and it is costing me money. you cant even edit your ccess numbers now because of this update it just ses auto aquired. You have to delete you location and set it up again. its a joke honestly. all this only started happeing including above since i have installed this connectivity service update. you cant even not install it because it is forced on you.

These are just a few reason why i dotn liek it there are many more but these are off the top of my head.

you may not have experianced these problems but I have and it is getting really annoying.

What are your opinions?

Michael

11. zarzenz

Hi Cochise,

I too, like you, are not looking to argue over this. And fair enough to you... it's your personal opinion and you are fully entitled to that... no problems there.

No... it's not you anymore than anyone else... it's simply how I stated above... and that is I can never quite understand how I often see these sort of comments about AOL, when I have never had any difficulty with them. I sometimes get a feeling there is a kind of "let's bash AOL" culture happening and like it's almost fashionable to join in the game... and I never know why.

But fine... I have to accept that I must just be very lucky, and in fact looking at your post Michael, I do see that obviously your experiences have not been so good with the tech support. I guess I never had to deal with that aspect due to my working in the IT business, and therefore it was never an issue for me. You on the other hand are not happy and so you feel like a change, and that may be good for you if your mum can agree etc.

My son also uses AOL and I must admit he did have a reason to contact their tech support a while back, and in fairness, they gave him the correct fix to sort out his broadband access problem which he was not able to deal with himself and I was not around then so he had no choice other than to ask them for help.

He was lucky... the advice was good and he was back online very soon.

But I do see that this is a very subjective area and everyones experiences will naturally differ.

Anyway... I'll make no further contribution to this now... I made my point and we all just have to agree that differences will always be apparent in this relative world we live.

Cheers to you all... from a happy AOL user... maybe the only one. ;)

12. Michael_aust

Im sorry about the arguments that my question started, I had no intention of this happening.

13. Michael_aust

I ahve been a AOl user since i think it was 98 but it has only been since the end of last year and now that i have had any real problems. The help seems to have gone down since the wide release of boradband, wellthats what i have experianced. It may well be good if you have broadband, sadly because I live in a village broad band is not availible round here as yet.

Michael

ps. sorry about my reasons for not liking aol. I knwo it sounded really angry and everything its just I am frustrated with it. I do have to admit AOL is a perfect choose for a family or people with very little knowledge of computers and the internet. for all its faults there are some good features they include like the email scanning, the IM service built in chat rooms

14. zarzenz

Hi Michael,

No need to apologise for any possible arguments we may seem to be having... I think Cochise would agree... this is only opinion stuff here.

And you are also perfectly entitled to express your dissatisfaction with them if that is what your own experiences are.

I'm only saying what I found and have just been lucky... so far.

Actually though... I must admit something... I often take a look at their member feedback message board and there does seem to be far more members not happy right now for various reasons, so maybe you are right, it could be linked to the broadband taking off over here now.

I have an unusual situation at home also.

My son is using our BT line for his broadband connection, but because of this, I'm still having to use my NTL dial up for my own access. Still... it's better than having to share one dial up which is what we had to do a while back... not only that... we only had the one PC then... this one... mine.

So now he has his own laptop and account... much better... and for what I use the net for... my dial up works fine.

Anyway... good luck there.

15. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks Nick, i think i'm going to use Zen :)

16. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

:D :D No worries Michael....you'd be hard pressed to cause an argument here at Wilders.....differences of opinion maybe...but at the end of the day we all :-* each other full on the lips and go off and do something more, or maybe, less interesting....Hope you get sorted out Mate..... :D :D
    It's a bit like 'Monty Pythons'...."I've come for the ten minute argument".."No you haven't"...."Yes I have"............You can fill in the blanks............. :D

17. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Well i am sure you will be very impressed with there service. Some of there technical staff are also members of the adsl guide forum which is a nice touch i think and the zen members of that forum are like a close knit family should the need arise in case you should ever need them

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.