Termination by windows\system32\services.exe

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by ric, Apr 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ric

ric Registered Member

c:\windows\system32\services.exe tried to terminate my c:\windows\system32\alg.exe prog. (application layer gateway service) Is there any way of stopping this other than Process Guard? Ric

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Ric, Services.exe maybe checking to see if it can stop alg.exe rather than actually doing it. alg.exe is part of ICS and used by third party firewalls.

So if you allow the terminate does alg.exe get killed?

Services could have a legitimate reason for termination I guess.

Thanks Pilli

3. csm324

csm324 Registered Member

Hi All,
    I have read elsewhere on the net,that services.exe and alg.exe could be trojans.
    Does anyone know if this is possible.

I had the same alert come up on PG yesterday..I allowed the action and everything still works fine!

Chris

4. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Most likely not trying to terminate anything, but it could be a single THREAD inside ALG.EXE being stopped. In general, Windows own processes should always be allowed to do what they want :)

csm324, you can be sure its the real services.exe if its in the right folder - Windows\System32

5. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Just a guess, but I think you'll find that what those sites meant was that Services.exe and alg.exe may be targeted for infection by trojans...which is why those two programs are on my protected list of programs in PG.

Actually, any windows service that runs on my comp (and interacts with other programs) I protect with PG, same with anything that has access to the internet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.