Tencent PC Manager

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by jack76, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Hiltihome

Hiltihome Registered Member

To answer my second question (post#69) myself:

Tencent PC-Manger is scheduled to update Avira definitions every 2hours and tries again, within 30min. if missed.
    But update is not always successful, cause sometimes the update servers are not responding.

VDF definition files seem not always to be updated, even when PC-Manager shows up to date on main page.

As only a set of 31 files is used, there may not be an daily update on these...

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  2. Hiltihome

I wonder why there is so little interest in Tencent PC-Manager (Antivirus)

Within the last three days, PC-Manager offered Upgrade to latest Version and did it, without any hassle.
    Definition updates come every day and are installed, without further action.

Slim, easy UI, reliable updates and very good rating on AV-Comperatives.
    It goes well together with MBAM and MBAE, as well with Unchecky.
    Tested on WIN7-64 and WIN8.1-64

All in all this AV is the best of China.

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@Hiltihome based on past testing, I've found PC Manager to have a much bigger system impact than 360's products.

4. Hiltihome

Based on my own experience, I can't confirm high impact.
    Yes, it uses ~250Mb RAM, but that should not be an issue on modern PCs.

Most important for me is, that PC-Manager is quite, easy to use and compatible with MBAM
    So it is my favorite for friends, relatives and average customers.

5. roger_m

@Hiltihome I was not referring to RAM use as this for the most part irrelevant. PC Manager noticably slows down my PC (which normally runs quite fast), just like the majority of antiviruses. If I had a faster PC, I'm sure it would not be an issue. I would not install this on a customers computer as it might slow it down.

Other than the speed issue, I quite like PC Manager. However, I believe that all antivirus are compatible with MBAM.

6. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

It not working in Win10 curbed my interest.

7. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Its working fine on win 10 , used it for 10 days , but yesterday it flagged the store app as trojan and some of its own files as trojan , now it can't restore store app as the folder in which it resides doesn't have write permission . So uninstalled

8. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

heh...yours had auto-immune syndrome haha

For me, it appeared to work fine...until it didn't detect a single thing upon testing it.

9. tgell

tgell Registered Member

I tried installing this on an old XP computer. It started out fine but then all hell broke loose. It started detecting it's own files as malicious, also notepad.exe so I am not sure what happened. Uninstalled and reinstalled. Same thing happened so I had to uninstall it.

10. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

haha well notepad could be used to write malicious scripts!

11. Hiltihome

Yesterday an upgrade was offered, guess for WIN10 compatibility.

Actual version is 10.11.25877.501

12. roger_m

I've just started using PC Manager 11.0.25991.501, which was released as the start of the month. It is using Bitdefender for its 3rd party scan engine now, replacing Avria - which was used until recently.

While I've found PC Manager to not be light enough for liking in the past - causing very noticable slowdowns, as have others, this new version is very light. I guess it is due to the engine change. Anyway it is not having any noticable impact on system performance, and even boot times are only a few seconds more than if I have no AV installed. I would say that in terms of system impact, so far, it is about the same as the 2016 beta of Avast. But, unlike Avast, there is the option to add files to the ignore list when detected.

As soon I download a file in 360 Extreme Explorer, PC Manager opens a scan windows and scans it.

13. roger_m

Here is a screenshot of the new version.
    PC Manager.png

14. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

If Tencent doesn't have scandalous issues like Qihoo I'll try it soon.

15. Pat MacKnife

Pat MacKnife Registered Member

Tencent was always in war with Qihoo ..... so who or what is scandalous ?! But Qihoo has a much better protection/detection rate, and i hope they are on the right track, back again on AV test.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  16. Solarlynx

I'm not about their mutual war. These scandalous issues about Qihoo were discussed at Wilders' some time ago. Some Wilders' members consider them a slander and others not. I am reluctant to turn to them again.

And back to the topic of the thread. Does Tencent have any proactive protection or HIPS?

17. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

Tencent was accused and evidence reported of the same malfeasance Qihoo was accused of.
    Personally, it's only a footnote that I don't consider with much weight whether the product is a good product (now) or not, especially considering the source.

18. Solarlynx

... thanks ...

... sad news though ...

:(

19. roger_m

I'm still using PC Manager, and for the second time in the last 2 and a half weeks, Tenecent have released a new version. When a new version is a relased a popup window asks you if you want to update to the new version. If you choose to update, it downloads and installs the new version. It's a shame Tencent don't release changelogs, but at least they make updating very easy.

Tencent.png

20. roger_m

I'm still using PC Manager. It's been over 5 weeks now, which is much longer than I usually have an antivirus installed for.

I am still finding PC Manager to be extremly light, with no noticable system impact. I initially changed the file system protection from the default setting of "medium" to "low," in order to make it as light as possible. However, one of the program updates must have reverted it back to the default setting. But, I haven't noticed any greater system impact with it on the medium setting, so I have no changed it again.

Tencent is reguarly releasing program updates, roughly once a week. Unfortunately, they provide no change logs. There have been no noticable changes that I've noticed. Still, it is good that they are continually working on improving it.

Now, for the bad part. PC Manager does have minor issues with false positives. From what I've witnessed over the past few weeks, nothing important is going to get flagged (unlike 360TS/TSE which sometimes detect system files from Microsoft, and device drivers as being malicious). However, as someone who downloads and installs software daily, I have seen too many false positives for my liking. At least, when PC Manager alerts you that it has quarantined a file, it does give you the option to restore it from quarantine and add it to the white list. Currently I have 14 programs whitelisted.

If you are not the type of person who continually downloads software, then you probably would have none, or only very few false positives.

For the moment, I will stick with PC Manager despite the false positives, becuase it is so light, but will be looking for an alternative.

21. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

It looks interesting, but I'm not going to lie, trust is a big issue for me. Currently, I don't even trust the big name AV's, let alone the Chinese.

22. thanhtai2009

thanhtai2009 Registered Member

When using their in-house engine, I can agree with you. But activate AntiVir engine everything goes wrong, high performance impact on my notebook. Also, their UI is great too, especially in window closing effect :argh:.

23. roger_m

@thanhtai2009 It uses BitDefender now instead of Avira and is much lighter than it used to be. I always found the Avira versions to cause noticable slowdowns, whereas with new versions using BitDefender, there really isn't any noticable system impact on my laptop.

24. Hiltihome

Today I had a notebook on my desk, with WIN7-64-english language

After cleaning adware and PUPs, I installed PC-Manager, in english language.

A while later a pop-up appeared, all in chinese language and with chinese characters, except the word update
    There where two buttons, with chinese characters, both clickable
    I was so surprised, that I forgot to make a screenshot...
    Never seen such a pop-up before.
    Usually there is a vertical, blue and white window, to inform about new version.
    Like in post #94

What I don't like about PC-Manager is, that it brings files and processes with chinese characters, showing in task manager.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  25. roger_m

@Hilti home That's strange. I got the usual English language upgrade message last night.

The Chinese characters don't worry me as I already have lots of Chinese characters showing in Task Manager, from my browser - 360 Extreme Explorer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.