Temporary internet Files caching location Q.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by krazo1961, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krazo1961

krazo1961 Registered Member

Hello,

I have a Temporary internet Files caching question (Win XP). I used the 'Search'function and or Explorer and saw I have the following two locations for my current (and only user, me - kevin, Admin account) Temp IE cached Files:

C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files

*The number 1. location for Temporary Internet Files Folder has no Sub Folders just Temporary Internet Files Foler for files to cache into. The number 2. location containans Folder called 'Content.IE5' and this folder contains four folders with various names (numbers and letters like
    2XCDIHAD.

The number 1. location is what I expected. I go to the 'Internet Options' and click on the 'Settings' that brings up the box which has the information on the Settings for my Temporary Internet Files including showing my 'Default' location, size allocated ect. The Default Location reads: C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files.

The number 2. location above is only slightly different in that it is contained in a Temp Folder:C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files. This Folder containans a Folder called 'Content.IE5' and that folder contains four folders with various names
    numbers and letters like 2XCDIHAD.

HERE IS THE QUESTION:

I find that when I go to Internet Options and Delete the Cookies and Temporary Internet Files it empties the (default) number 1.location: C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files as it should.

So what is the number 2. (C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files) with the Sub folder 'Content.IE5' and its for sub folders ones that have various names numbers and letters like 2XCDIHAD. location used for?

Why would IE store any of the Temp IE Files in this second location if it is not the indicated default locationo_O What exactly is the purpose for this other location?. I normaly don't even think about it but I was curious one day and came upon this second area. Please help me understand and learn a little something about this.

Thanks

2. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

AFAIK, you can delete number 2.

On my system,, I have a number of the magic directories at a location I specfield and there are none under Documents and Settings for my account.
    I do this because I have a multiboot system and I share those directories amongst the OS.

However, periodically, MSFT software creates some of those directories elsewhere, but does not change the defaults, so I just delete the superflous directories.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.