Technology Question

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by Baldrick, Apr 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi Coldmoon

Firstly, many thanks for your informative posts. They are helping me greatly as someone new to Returnil and its concepts.

Secondly, the more I read the more I believe that what I am actually looking for principally, to suit my requirements, is what looks like coming in the Multi-Snapshot technology, with possibly the Virtual Mode functionality as another, supporting option...in my particular circumstances.

Now I also understand that the plan is to add the Multi-Snapshot technology into the core RSS/RVS products, when ready.

So my question is (i) would it be OK for me to run say RSS with the Multi-Snapshot, with the Virus Guard & System Restore functionality disabled, or (ii) is using RSS just for that just overkill/ill advised?

Also, do you think that the Multi-Snapshot might just be released as a standalone product at some point in the future?

Appreciate that you may not be able to say too much on this but thought I would ask anyway.

Edit: If one wanted to use/test the Multi-Snapshot functionality does one have to install RSS or RVS first and then run the Multi-Snapshot setup or is it a stand alone function? Have read the user manual that comes with the downlaod but it is not clear to me (probably me being dumb).

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Balders :D

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Yes, you can use the RMS Utility with RSS 2011 but there are some things to keep in mind:

1. The RMS Utility is a beta
    2. Using the RMSU and RSS together can be "heavy" at the current time. If you have a fast machine, you probably will not notice this overly much, but on a marginal or commodity PC you may see a performance hit.

The future is fluid and this may indeed come to pass with sufficient popularity in the solution. We are working on a project related to the RMSU so keep an eye out as more information becomes available going forward.

The current RMSU is a stand-alone solution designed to test the functionality and performance of the snapshot technology. A major part of this on-going testing is to verify stability and reliability over time and we welcome all feedback on these testing priorities.

Mike

3. Baldrick

Hi Mike

Thanks for the detailed response. I am thinking that I might give RMSU stand alone a check out and then test it. As some one who has used RB Rx in the past (but not currently) it would be interesting to compare & contrast the technologies especially as I read what you have said about the relative merits of each.

I currently have Acronis True Image installed for the purpose of taking full images manually. I am not using Try & Decide, Non Stop Backups or any other of the automated functionality available within that product. Given that do I still need to uninstall ATI before installing RMSU, as I have read that one should do before installing RSS or RVS?

Thanks in advance.

Baldrick

4. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

First, don't get wrapped up in a comparison as the RMSU is not an imaging solution as are ATI/RBRX. It does precisely what it says it does - takes a snapshot of your system which you can use instead of the native Windows System Restore points. It can also do this incrementally over a boot session by taking snapshots at specific time intervals.

At the moment, that time interval is "set" to allow less complicated testing as mentioned previously.

THE RMSU is different than RSS or RVS in that it does not work to enforce a virtual system while you work, but creates a virtual snapshot that you can enforce on the real system at a later time. In some ways, you could look at the RMSU as the corollary to the virtual mode protection feature in RSS/RVS...

Mike

5. Baldrick

Understood...hear you loud and clear. :D

This is what I am interested in mainly as that was the reason I started using RB Rx under Win XP...because Windows Restore was much less functional. And to be fair whilst it is better under Win 7 it is still not as good as RB Rx (despite its limitations). I am hoping that RMSU will prove to be even better in terms of what it delivers...irrespective of the merits/demerits of the underlying functionality.

1 hour in automatic mod and/or the mechanism to make manual; snapshots just about as often or not as you like.

Not clear as to whether the virtual snapshots survive across reboots of the PC. I hope so but would like to be clear on this.

Thanks again for taking the time to help a Returnil technology newbie. ;)

Regards

Balders

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.