Teacher ousted for recommending open source

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by linuxforall, Oct 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/teacher-fired-over-software-plea/421283.html

Vladimir Sorokin, deputy director at School No. 572 in southeastern Moscow who teaches computer science, said by telephone that education officials had pressured him into resigning after he complained to President Dmitry Medvedev about an online training system for students that requires Microsoft Office to run properly.

No wonder MS dominates.........

2. katio

katio Guest

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I don't know, it sounds more like they fired the guy for causing trouble for them rather than it being an open source vs closed source issue. Besides, this mandate just took effect in the last few days, so why complain so soon? Hasn't he ever heard of the term "preparation"? I'm sorry, but once again I see a thread title as misleading. *stands against the pole and awaits the Linux crowd firing squad*

Edit: What's going on with these two sources, btw? The first link states this mandate was approved in 2007, the second makes it seem that it's "breaking news". If it was in 2007, then that changes my comments somewhat as 3 years is a good bit of time to have at least started to switch over.

4. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

He installed illegal copies of Windows on the School's PC's.

They are definitely switching to a 'Russian' OS based on Linux.
    More clarity here:-

Russian OS to be installed in every school

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

No he didn't, that was City Hall. Read at the bottom of the original article. Besides, that would make no sense, why would he install a copy of Windows, illegal or not, and then complain about wanting open source?

6. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Oops, right you are.

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It looks like we're going to start seeing more countries adopt Linux, which can only be good for it. There's really no better way to get attention than for entire governments to start using it. I'm criticized often for "bashing" Linux, but I'm far from being against it. I come from a home user's point of view, where games and such are a pretty big factor. In that area, it just isn't ready. But, the flip side of that is that, just maybe, if more countries start adopting it, Linux drawbacks may start evaporating little by little.

I'm not sure, being the greedy, lawyer loving little nation we often are, that such an adoption would take place here in America. Of course America is already behind in a lot of things to begin with. We'll see what happens over time.

8. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

This would be a really nice turn of events for Linux. It would no doubt mean stronger, more effective focus on its development, especially in making it an attractive alternative for the mainstream crowd over Windows or Mac. Who knows, maybe Linux is on the cusp of taking off towards a somewhat exponential pace over its history of snail-pace market growth :)

9. linuxforall

Drawbacks if any are being weeded out of desktop linux at a far rapid pace, one needs an open mind to use and commit to it if they so wish. Distros like Ubuntu Linux are living proof of that but of course, for a certain crowd, even if they are close to 90% drawback free, it ain't never gonna be enough really ;)

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well, you do have a point really. I guess though if that last 10% is important enough and the drawbacks severe enough, really what can you do? What would be really nice is if more store bought systems came with Ubuntu pre-installed, and not just Dell. However, of course that goes back to vendor agreements and all that corporate crap. I think if (hardcore gamers excluded here realistically), someone walked in off the street and picked up an Ubuntu system, and DIDN'T already know their way around Windows, they'd probably be set. Pre-installs would go a long, long way, imo. Unless the user decided to replace/add/upgrade hardware, they wouldn't likely have to screw with a single thing. They'd just boot up, hop in a browser, and away they'd go.

11. linuxforall

dw, there is no financial incentive for OEMs to load Linux, therefore it will never happen via that path.

12. linuxforall

http://www.acrossad.org/node/70

Will Russia's Move to GNU/Linux Prompt Microsoft to Repair Its Image?
    Fri, 10/29/2010 - 08:16 — rdjere

The Russian government recently made a surprising decision: to create a national operating system based on GNU/Linux. The motivation for this development is crystal clear: escaping the Microsoft Windows monopoly. Russia will gain two other huge advantages due to the shift: lower software expenditures and full access to the operating system's source code. The source code access will allow any discovered security flaws to be quickly fixed. Russia appears to be following China's lead. A few years ago, China also decided to shift to a Linux-based operating system known as Red Flag Linux. In this article, I will discuss some of the underlying issues that are causing countries, institutions, individuals, and governments to defect to GNU/Linux.

With Russia, China and India getting into OS making act, the world scenrio in near future will see some big changes.

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

That's pretty much what I thought. Oh well, no harm in hope :) Unless of course, Ubuntu started giving incentives itself. I know, maybe not much of a chance of that at the moment. But, with every country that makes the switch, it becomes more possible?

14. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

That was a pretty good article, though I disagree with the writer about Apple. I see Ballmer and Jobs almost the same really. The difference is, Ballmer is in a position to bully half the planet, where Jobs is only able to reach Apple users. The article was right about Ballmer, the man really needs to hang around a few really good politicians for a while. They could teach him to smile like a Cheshire cat, throw a few charity bucks away here and there, and have people cheering him where ever he goes.

The complaint about patent litigation is so sadly true. But, that's not just a Microsoft thing, that's an American company thing (and I'm American, I'm allowed to berate my own, lol). I don't really know if Microsoft can ever remove their ugly image, I simply don't know how much they really care. Common sense would tell you that if entire countries were no longer your customers, alarms would go off and you would do something. But, I don't know how much common sense they have up in Redmond. The one thing they CAN'T do for once is sue into submission.

15. Sully

Sully Registered Member

They dominate in the retail market simply because users don't make the choise to switch. No one forces them to use either OS. If windows dominates, it is because people don't want to install linux.

Look at it however you like, from either side. Hold microsoft as the evil monopoly or not. It still comes down to a very simple reason - the users can change but don't.

Last time I checked, if you buy a computer, there is no reason you can't install linux on it. No strongman with a model 870 keeping you in check.

Until the average user has the drive to learn enough to install an OS, it isn't going to happen.

Get linux on OEM, and things might turn around. But how one does that seems a tough cookie to crack.

Sul.

16. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well, the OEM situation is really the reason MS DOES dominate, maybe. With so many vendors having financial incentives to pre-install Windows, it leaves little room for Linux. I'm not marketing genius, but maybe what I would do, as a vendor, is have a line of general-use, lower end systems with Ubuntu. The higher end systems meant for editing, games and that sort, would have Windows. It works for Dell, maybe all vendors should do it. Hell, I don't know, maybe have systems with large drives be set up to dual boot. I'm not sure how well received a dual-boot system would be with the average shopper, but it's an idea

17. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I would agree, but it still doesn't change the fact that most people who use windows don't want to put linux on thier machine. For some it is because they don't want to change to the unknown, for others because they would have to learn something to do so.

Those who realize they can't do some things like game or use office or whatever, they probably have the drive and knowledge to change over, but have made thier own conclusions that linux is not for them.

Either way, the option to use linux is available, just not accepted.

If a vendor like HP would push linux on thier machines, more people would keep it. I would make a guess though and say that many ordinary users would still buy the windows boxes over the linux boxes if price were not an issue. Linux might be an alternative, but it seems to me people prefer the keep what they already know rather than learning again. And the average button clicker, I don't believe they want to know much more than they have to. If they have been using windows since 9x or XP, they are already vested and likely to not want to start again.

Linux is an alternative. If your needs don't demand you use windows, like for gaming etc, then it is a serious contender to be used. All the griping and whining on both sides of the fence about how superior one is over the other is wasted on the masses that don't care, and instead fuels arguments among those who are knowledgable. There really is no argument, both can do what they need to do for the user.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.