TDS refuses to start

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by SMaus, Jun 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMaus

SMaus Registered Member

Hi everybody,

what the heck happened to my TDS?
    I just tried to start TDS-3 and I got the message "Systemfehler &H80040111 (-2147221231). Class Factory kann angeforderte Klasse nicht liefern". And that's it. I can click on "OK", of course, but TDS refuses to start.
    I deinstalled and reinstalled the whole stuff but TDS still doesn't like me.
    Have you got any ideas?

Regards - Stefan

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, SMaus

Sorry to sound rude [or Ignorant] please can you translate into English?

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. SMaus

SMaus Registered Member

Sorry -

"system error lalala, class factory cannot provide (or deliver) the demanded class".

I have never seen such an error. Therefore I have no idea how to deal with this.

4. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, SMaus

I too do not have much of an Idea to what that means. :(

Before you uninstalled TDS did you turn off [remove] Execution Protection.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

5. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

6. SMaus

SMaus Registered Member

Hi Gavin,

the problem persists. MSCOMCTL.OCX is dated March 09, 2004. Also replacing the file with the old one of 1999 didn't change anything. Did something terrible happen to my registry?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2004
  7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Little more info please:
    are you on XP?
    XP does have a file protection so you should be able to put the original XP system files back in case they would have got overwritten or corrupted, or am i wrong here?
    Once on that page please look at all required system files please.
    Did you install or uninstall other software recently?
    Did you check for a virus/trojan (online scan, other installed software)
    Are there more issues on your system?

8. SMaus

SMaus Registered Member

Hi Jooske,

my system is XP Home Edition, I could try to repair the installation from my setup CD-ROM. I don't know if XP has a file protection since I never needed any.
    I installed Ad-Aware recently, but without AdWatch running. In addition I installed DFIncBackup. My last full scan was on Sunday with NOD32. I use BoClean for on-access-protection as well but it didn't cause any problems as far as I can judge it.

9. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

I ever saw iot happening with an XP user who installed an older software, after which XP came with some warnings and questions about file versions with choices to put the original install system files back or keep to the other version with possibilities to look deeper for versions etc.
    Think XP does such things automatically.
    Mind you, when you uninstall TDS and install it again, it will never overwrite existing files, not even if they would be older or damaged, it just sees the file exists and does not use it's own file, it only adds what is not there.
    I would rather have it looking for version and give an advice to keep a newer or overwrite an older version.
    Now a question of course: did you install or change anything since the last time TDS ran properly for you?
    Or did you crash or got infected, removed anything or started or not started a program you normally run and this time not? (shared files maybe)
    If all this is no no no then do you have an option to go back to an older system restore where you were sure TDS was running fine?
    Maybe before you do so you might like to note down the required system files version numbers and at going back another time and see if there is any difference in that part.
    Another thing could be in the autostart, if there could have come something new.
    One burning question: you say TDS doesn't start, but if you go into the TDS directory and press the update.exe, does that part do it's job or refuses that any action too?

When you installed TDS again, you made sure all the other scanners and protectors and resident parts were closed, and before uninstalling TDS you first closed the exec protection before uninstalling it completely and installing it again?
    You did not change the TDS configuration either to start minimized for instance?

10. SMaus

SMaus Registered Member

Hi Jooske,

I installed Ad-Aware, LeechGet and a backup software called DFIncBackup. No crash, no known infection, no shared files, no change compared to usual procedures.
    The problem with a system restore is - it is quite old. My system ran flawlessly for weeks. Therefore I simply didn't create any restore point. A big mistake, I know.
    A new entry in the autostart section is LeechGet. I'll disable it and check again. Funny thing: update.exe in the TDS directory works fine. Of course, first it complains about a missing update.cfg. When I copy it into TDS's folder it works. TDS itself still doesn't start.
    When I de-installed TDS I had exec protection off, since I also use BoClean. I use TDS as an on-demand scanner merely. But even if it had been on, I wouldn't have been able do disable it because TDS didn't start any more.
    Re-installation was with scanners and protection off. After installation I couldn't change anything in the configs because TDS didn't start anyway and I don't like editing something in cfgs manually that I don't completely understand.
    Strange. Perhaps I have to go back several weeks although I hesitate to do this.

11. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

You could make a restore point from the current situation, to have at least something.

Do you think it's possible all started after installing or upgrading any of the other programs?
    Several people for instance have problems with the new ZoneAlarm 5.xx like programs misbehaving, freezing, crashing, not starting, etc to name an example. I used for example a little moment the AIM which added immediately an some online detection againt to th eautostart which i deleted via TDS as soon as i discovered it and that whole day till next reboot my system was really in trouble, with even programs crashing, after reboot all was fine again.
    So i just mean to say, unrelated things can cause lot of trouble.
    Honestly said, i don't know the Leech and backup thing you mention, not sure if BOClean likes the AD-Watch for instance or how it uses to work with NOD32, do you activate for both the resident protection? that could be too much of a good thing, while BOClean and NOD32 both work fine with TDS, Ad-aware is ok, ad-watch might be an issue in the combination or on XP, not sure, soembody ever mentioned and solved it but i can't recall the details.
    Did TDS still run fine after installing any of those programs and when did it stop?
    Did you cange anything in the configuration of one of those other programs?

Did you grab the AutostartViewer from the DCS site to post a startup log or email it to support@diamondcs.com.au to see if there could be anything else?

BOClean is nice resident protection, but it works different from the exec protection hook in TDS.
    A hijackthis log with all options doesn't show anything unusual either?

12. SMaus

SMaus Registered Member

HijackThis looks normal, AutostartViewer also. AdWatch is deactivated because I don't want too many tasks running simultaneously. I think I'll try to make a system repair with XP's original CD-ROM on Monday when I have a day off finally.
    If anything else fails I'll make a re-install of everything. Great. At least I learned to create restore points more often.
    Thanks for your help anyway! :)

13. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Smaus - Hello!

I thought that Windows automatically creates restore points on predetermined intervals, assuming you have system restore turned on.

Edited: See pic...

Attached Files:

14. SMaus

SMaus Registered Member

Hey - that sounds good! I'll check this.
    Thanks for the hint!

15. Dazed_and_Confused

Hope it works. However, I'm not really too sure how often it does create an auto-restore point. When I get some free time, I'll browse the MS web site and take a look.:)

16. Dazed_and_Confused

According to Mr Gates and company, XP sets restore points daily. You should be good! :D

17. FanJ

FanJ Guest

18. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Version numbers are the important things here ;)

19. SMaus

SMaus Registered Member

I have set it as admin. I already checked my restore-points. They weren't created daily but as sort of milestones. Every significant change like installation or de-installation of something creates a new one. One day in June had not less than three restore-points. I'm sure I will find something that fits my needs.

20. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Try to go back point for point from the day you discovered TDS not working anymore, at a certain moment it should be ok again.

21. SMaus

SMaus Registered Member

OK - I'll keep you informed. I simply don't want to stop using TDS. Besides I hate running a system being only 95% healthy.

22. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Yes please!
    You installed 4 new programs after which TDS didn't run anymore, is that correct?
    Did you try it after the first install, the second, etc?
    If going back to those former restore points doesn't help you could uninstall the others one by one till it works again.
    Do you remember if you changed some settings in one of the programs after which TDS did not run anymore?
    You looked already in the hijackthis and autostartviewer logs -- did you have TDS configured to be in the autostart or starting it manually after that?
    Would most certainly recommend if it is there to get it out the autostart and try tio start it manually after reboot.

23. SMaus

SMaus Registered Member

OK, it's absolutely amazing. Honestly.
    I restored my system. Now I'm back at June 1st. TDS works as if nothing has happened. Of course, it's a bit funny to see NOD32 updated on June 1st but with a file from June 4th (1.781), but that will be fixed with the next update I think. BoClean behaves a bit weird (it just hangs) but I think that will be ok after the next reboot.
    So thanks very much for your support (especially to Kentucky :) )

24. Dazed_and_Confused

Congratulations, SM! Glad your back in business. Normally it's me looking for assistance, so I'm always glad when I can help someone. ;)

25. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Congrats from me too ! :)

Maybe start another thread about "BoClean behaves a bit weird (it just hangs) but I think that will be ok after the next reboot" at another forum-section.

Maybe others who are also running BOClean and NOD32 running resident could give you some advice ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.