TDS-3 Unresponsive after DB Update

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Ralph E. Wild, Jan 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just (1/7/02 ~9:50 am EST) updated my TDS-3 database and now the program locks up every time it is started. It first reported that it had detected a change in the StartList and then locked up (console unresponsive) on the first memory scan following the update. Never could get it to show me (Crtl+A) the start list.

TDS-3 now starts the memory scan and displays "Scan Console - Not Responding" as soon as I move the cursor over the TDS window. I have not attempted to reboot - did the update in response to reports of a destructive new threat that activates on reboot.

This is on WinXP SP1 - the files the MS errror reporting facility wants to send are tds-exe.mdmp and appcompat.txt in ...\WER46.tmp.dir.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

3. FanJ,

Same behavior - scans processes and locks up on memory scan.

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Ralph and welcome to the forum,
    in the TDs directory is a radius.bak file, which is the former one. what happens if you rename the current latest radius to something withj.new and rename the *.bak to *.td3 , erstart TDS and see what happens then?
    How did your error message exactly look like? details?
    If windows wants to send them could there be a windows error mentioned in the system events logfile?

Info on the events viewer in XP:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/proddocs/nt_filteringevents_how_ev.asp
    (filter events view)
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/proddocs/event_overview_01.asp
    (events log overview)

5. (one of these days I'll find my info to log on as a member)

A reboot seems to have cured whatever was wrong (may be a service I didn't mean to start). For what ever good it may do, details are given below.

Renaming the Radius file produced no change in behavior.

Once TDS hangs in the memory scan, there are no immediate error messages. If I attempt to click on the TDS menu bar (and maybe anywhere in the TDS window), the TDS menu bar blanks (just a white bar), and the TDS window title changes to include the "unresponsive" text shown in my eariler post. Once this happens, if I click on the "X" on the left of the window to close TDS, I get the standard MS Windows application unresponsive. I have to go through this twice more and then the MS error reporting dialog appears. Two of the three incidents get logged in Event Viewer. That is, I click on the "X" and tell XP to end to app three times before the TDS window closes but there are only two hung app entries in the application log. There are source: "Application Hang" and category: (101) entries for tds-3.exe, version 3.2.0.0. The hang address is all zeros.

In looking at the app log in EV, I noticed an "info" entry about startup of the MS DTC service. I had been poking around in services in the control panel and must have inadvertently started it manually. After reboot, it is gone and TDS is working again with the latest DB back inplace.

Hope I haven't wasted too much of peoples' time.

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

No waste at all! I'm glad it worked and hope it keeps working fine again.
    Gave me an opportunity to add links to the XP event viewer info, we were looking for more times too :)
    If you would have logged in as a member could have given you some extra supportive karma cookies!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.