System restore failure

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by the warrior, Jun 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the warrior

the warrior Registered Member

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows much about the system resore process. I tried to do a system restore but keep getting a failure message. I really need to get it back to a previous state but it wont work. Any ideas?

2. the warrior

BTW Im running XP pro SP1

3. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

4. the warrior

No there isnt really a desciption of the error. It just says that it isnt able to compleate the process. Even when I clicked help it just repeted the message. Very frustrating. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out and post if it can help me in any way.

5. the warrior

There dosnt seem to be anything on that page of use to me unfortunatly. I've tried it in Safe mode, and event veiwer dosn't seem to have any info at all on it o_O . Oh this is so frustrating. I'm now contemplating a fresh install :(

6. snowbound

hmm, i've used System Restore many times and have not had this problem. :doubt:

Maybe just give it a little time here as someone might post with a solution. ;)

snowbound

7. snowbound

8. dog

dog Guest

Hi Warrior, ;)

Is it just the one restore point that's failing. Have you tried to restore another restore point?

I haven't used system restore much, only 5 occasions I can think of ... one of those times system restore was unable to perform that restore (is this the message you're refering to?), so I restored to the one previous to that one? (which restored without problem)

dog - *puppy*

9. the warrior

I've tried different restore points, to no avail
    :(

10. dog

dog Guest

11. the warrior

Hey dog, cheers for the link. I tried what Byte suggested, but after the scan finished nothing happened. The scan progress box closed and there was no message explaining if any thing was missing.

The other suggestion says that once system restore dosn't work you have to stop it then restart it from scratch. If that is the case I might just have to do a compleate reinstall which I was hoping to avoid as I only did one 2 weeks ago. I'll leave this open for a while to see if anyone else can offer any other suggestions before I take the plunge. Thanks very much for all the help everyone :)

12. the warrior

Well I tried doing a repair install. Not sure if its sorted the System Restore problem, but the original problem I was having that I wanted to do a system restore for is still with me, and there is now no longer an option to restore back to a previous time.

This is so frustrating as it is only one program that is messed up. It just wont run. I've even installed the program on another PC and it works fine. Just incase anyone knows the error I get when I run the program is:

run-time error '62' imput past end of file.

I've researched hi and low on this and it only seems to happen to most people on start up. for me it only happens when I try to run the program. I've uninstalled and reinstalled. I've checked the program web site, I've checked the Microsoft web site, I've googled. This is rediculas. I guess the only option to get this prog to work is a compleate reinstall of my OS. Arrrg. I didn't want to do that. I'm off to work so if anyone has any ideas before I get back I'd love to hear them.

13. zcv

zcv Registered Member

System Restore:

You probably have a currupt restore point somewhere in the chain of Restore Points, the integrity of each restore point is dependent on the previous one.

Shut SR off: My Computer > Properties > System Retore tab > Check "Turn off System Restore on all drives" - below, if multiple drives - have the option to differentiate.

Reboot.

Go back and re-enable SR - will create an initial restore point.

After re-establishing SR, a way to test the Restore function:

Take any executable file ( extention .exe) , and burn it out and/or move it to the My Documents folder and delete it from it's original location. SR does not monitor files in My Documents folder regardless of file type.

Then restore to the initial restore point created by the system; the deleted executable should be back in it's original location. Afterwards, you can delete the copy in My Documents.

FYI: The file types (extensions) SR monitors

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/sr/sr/monitored_file_extensions.asp

Regards - Charles

14. dog

dog Guest

Hi Warrior, ;)

What program is giving you this error? ... (I know I'm pointing out the obvious here, but just to double check) But have you tried uninstalling the program, deleting it's files (in programs & app. data) rebooting, and re-installing?

dog - *puppy*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.