System Restore and ERUNT

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by JerryM, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I removed Spybot S&D a long time ago. However, KAV scans indicate it is still in System Restore.
    I also have ERUNT.

Would I do well to disable System Restore, and get rid of whatever parts of Spybot S&D are there? I suppose that after one start-up I could turn it back on.
    If I needed to restore my system to some earlier configuration, would ERUNT do as well as System Restore?

I can't find any trace of S&D through the XP Search function under START.

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi JerryM,

You could just delete the 'restore points' & see if KAV still complains.

Go to Start > all programs > accesories > system tools >disk clean up > more options then delete your old restore points.

Take Care
    Rico

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, Rico.

Best,
    Jerry

4. HAN

HAN Registered Member

IMO, ERUNT has limited usefullness. It's only useful if you restore immediately after a backup. If you wait until after you've made file/program changes (that affect the registry), things will NOT return to normal. In some cases, things can be pretty messed up!

Also, if you have more than one user account on your PC, ERUNT does not make copies of the other user's registry settings unless you have used Fast User Switching and all accounts are actively logged on.

FWIW, I never recommend using ERUNT. Either System Restore (which is also limited but not nearly so much) or a disk imaging program are much better choices.

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi HAN,
    Thanks for the reply. The only reason I have turned off Restore temporarily is to delete something that is present in Restore, and cannot be deleted until it is turned off and rebooted.
    I have not had much experience restoring to a previous point, but when I did I used System Restore and it worked fine.

Best,
    Jerery

6. L Bainbridge

L Bainbridge Registered Member

Why not just remove system Restore (a fairly useless bit of software if ever I used one) and install a proper system back up like FD-ISR or RollbackRx.
    Not only will this give you a complete system restore unlike the MS Tool which only restores 'MS' files. It will also give you the facility to test different programs or try different step-ups with the facility of removing them a simple reboot.
    ERUNT is really only useful if you use it as an immediate registry restore tool (i.e. after installing and then immediately uninstalling a problem). If you make any significant changes e.g. Windows updates between these procedures you will also lose those reg. changes as well.
    I've certainly managed to FUBAR my WinXP playing with ERUNT/ System Restore in the past and the first thing I do now is nLite out System Restore and replace it with FD-ISR on each of my Windows systems at install.

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i might test rollbackrx on my old pc to see how it works.
    if i like it i will probaly buy it for the pc im buying soon to test software.
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.