system performance

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by hossie, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hossie

hossie Registered Member

How does Memory Usage of a process running in the system impacts the overall system performance. Suppose if I have a Image name crs.exe (hypothetical ) running with 32,000Kb and another system its running 65000Kb what would be the difference of the system performance.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

what it total memory available?

3. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    On a computer with only 64 megs of RAM you'll be running slow because you're hitting the virtual memory hard (pagefile.sys). On a typical computer of day (at least 1 gig of RAM)..it's a big "who cares"...96 megs for something running is nothing.

4. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

paging is at a snail speed as compared to in memory processing stuff which is kinda like a ferrari speed.
    Adding memory always help.

With 32 bit windows you can beyond memory limitation by using a RAMDISK and put all caches and pagefile in it.

5. captainron

captainron Registered Member

a hard to answer question because it depends on the hardware, what the program is/does, and what OS. Like said above the more memory used by programs the less ram you have to use and more likely you will use page file as you start running a really demanding app or multiple demanding apps. Background apps can use cpu cycles, the extent the program uses cpu cycles depends on the program, the extent this has on your computer depends on the cpu, just like how soon you use pagefile instead of free ram depends on amount of ram installed. If the background process is a real time scanner, it will affect performance not just from ram usage and cpu cycles it also will scan every read write to the hard drive and slow that down too.

For ram usage/cpu usage, majority of background programs will not affect performance in a noticeable way, I suppose if your gaming or something and have too many background apps running it might use page file more than normal and cause some stuttering or skipping while using the slower page file. Windows 7 has more improvements to use ram as much as possible and page file as little as possible, so on my Win7 laptop with 4gb ram I don't really worry about background apps nearly as much as I did when I first bought XP and had 256mb ram.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.