System freezing after installing NOD32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by tormhau, Feb 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tormhau

tormhau Registered Member

Hello!

I have recently uninstalled Norton AV and migrated to NOD 32. The problem is that NOD32 freezes my entire system every time I turn on my computer after approximately ~1 minute (from 10 seconds to 3 min after startup).

Once I have logged in everything seems fine, but without any warning or meassage the system freezes. By that I mean that my desktop (and any programs running on it) freezes, including every keybinding (Ctrl+Alt+delete or smilary). The only thing I can do is to cut the power.

I tried once to run a full-screen program before NOD managed to crash the system. To my big suprise this actually worked, and nothing seemed wrong! But once I Alt-Tab'ed to my desktop again, the same problem occoured, and I had to cut the power...

To solve the problem I have tried to run scandisk, deframentation, Anti-spyware etc., and now my computer uses much shorter time to crash than before...

I don't use any firewall or AV except NOD32, and I have never experienced any smilar crashed like this one before. The version of NOD32 I now use takes the fifth og five licenses, so therebefore we have four other computers (stationary and laptops) that works great with NOD. The PC which crash is in no way worse than the others, have the same operational system, and have (till now) not had any problems.

Thank you for your attention.

tormhau

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello ! Welcome to Wilders!

Read this post here and perform all suggestions . In addition to it , before you install NOD32 again , download and run Symantec's Norton Removal tool.Norton is famous with uninstallation problems.As you probably know one should run only one AV software at the same time , most likely there is a left over which is confliction with NOD32.You can download it from here.

Note that you should also enable some firewall in order to protect your computer from unauthorised access (hackers,network worms).Windows XP and Windows Vista have integrated firewall in them.Please , make sure it is enabled , Start->Settings->Control Panel->Windows Firewall.Choose ON and also "Don't allow exceptions".Confirm with OK.

3. tormhau

Hello, Hi Tech

I tried to do what you said, but It didn't make a slightly difference.

tormhau

4. uc-icq

uc-icq Registered Member

Norton is known for leaving many footprints on your system after it is uninstalled (files and registry entries). I would also advise you to download and run the specific removal tool from Symantec, get rid of the remains and see if the situation improves

5. tormhau

I have tried to run Norton Removal Tool, but it doesn't make any difference.

tormhau

6. uc-icq

uc-icq Registered Member

Have you updated by mistake any incorrect video/audio drivers, or any autorun program that may have compatibility issues with your hardware configurations? Have you checked up Windows error logs? And what does it say?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  7. tormhau

The only autorun programs that I haven't installed on any of the other computers is the programs used by my monitor. Ofc that could be the reason, but I doubt it..

Btw, how to I check the windows error logfile?

8. uc-icq

uc-icq Registered Member

On desktop, right-click computer, select manage, then event viewer, and windows logs. That's what I do on Windows Vista, can't remember exactly on WinXP, but should be about the same

9. tormhau

My windows error logs haven't notified any problems, strangely. The PC just keeps freezing, I don't get any warnings or messages at all, not even after a reboot when I have cut the power.

10. uc-icq

uc-icq Registered Member

I'd not say it's NOD related. Sorry I cannot help you as it's beyond my knowledge. If I were you, I'd back up my files and documents, format the disk and do a clean install.

If you don't want to do this, I'm hoping some more knowledgable person around will be able to help you

11. tormhau

ok, ty for your help.

12. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

tormhau
    The software for Samsung monitors has been known to have issues with AV's
    We (at work) had to disable AV, install monitor software, set-up monitor, then uninstall it and finally enable AV again.

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I don't believe a format is needed here. There is a conflict somewhere and with some work, it can probably be found.

14. ASpace

ASpace Guest

If so , tormhau you may need to uninstall/disable this from running and then try

15. uc-icq

uc-icq Registered Member

try reboot into safe mode, scan partition c: with nod32 for ten minutes or so. if the system doesn't freeze, it's gotta be something to do with installed drivers

alternatively, run HijackThis to form a system report and upload it here...so people can see what the problem could be

16. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Wilders don't accept HijackThis log files except those asked by administrator,moderator or security expert in special cases.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=31835

17. uc-icq

uc-icq Registered Member

sorry i'm not aware of that

18. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Try running a good Registry Cleaner such as RegSupreme . Just use the free trial version.

19. tormhau

Well, thank you so very much all of you!

I don't know what made the big difference, but after having deleted my (Samsung) monitor programs, and cleaned up my hard drive (including some symantec files that didn't Removal Tool didn't remove..(Shared files)), and reinstalled NOD in Secure mode, things started working again.

Right now I'm watching NOD killing some trojans wich Norton couldn't handle: Delicious! :)

tormhau

20. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Horay! :D

Thanks for lettings us know :D :thumb:

21. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

Result:)
    Those Samsung drivers have a function that checks your driver (graphics) settings to ensure that you do not choose an incompatible mode for the monitor.
    This checking is the problem
    Any decent graphics drivers will show you the correct monitor modes anyway

22. uc-icq

uc-icq Registered Member

Voila! Glad your problem's solved :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.