System freezes because of Look'n'Stop?

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by jebstuart, Jul 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jebstuart

jebstuart Registered Member

Hello to ev'rybody here! It's an honor to be welcomed aboard :)

Just one question:

Recently I downloaded and installed the trial version of LnS. By so far, I am extremely pleased with this tiny, charming and secure firewall (having had both good and bad experiences with Outpost, Kerio, ZoneAlarm Pro & Free, Norton etc.) Only one thing irritates me - every sixth or seventh time when I am trying to connect to the Internet, the whole system freezes as soon as the connection is established. It has been happening since I installed LnS. Is there anybody here who can help me outta this unhappy situation? I am using Win98 SE with all patches, newest LnS with its enhanced rules, 128 Mb RAM. I would be very grateful for any aid.

Have a nice day!

2. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hi,

two ideas come to my mind :
    - DLL filtering
    - SPI

in the first one, there is a bug in the DLL feature which may cause BSOD on few systems. For that, there is a beta driver which solve the problem, but before we
    come to that, try to disable the DLL filtering (advanced options) and see if it still happens.

For the second, try to disable the SPI, and/or to watch if the Log tab report something about Stateful PAcket Inspection blocking packets.

You can try too to disable the protocol filtering.
    For all of these test, to identify the cause, disable, then test, one by one.
    If it still does not work, a good clue for us would be to disable first Application Filtering, and if it still happens, enable it again and disable internet filtering (not advised if you are not behind a router).

It could help too to know if something is logged into the log tab when the freeze occurs.

regards,

gkweb.

3. jebstuart

Thanks for your reply.

The problem is that I cannot find DLL filtering in Advanced Options :-(. Where is it (LnS 2.05)?

4. gkweb

Yes it is on Look'n'Stop 2.05 :
    Options Tab -> Advanced option button -> DLLs button (at the bottom).

what version are you using ?

regards,

gkweb.

5. jebstuart

Are you sure that this option is available for Win98? I am afraid that it's featured only for WinXP and Win2000...

6. gkweb

Your are right, I didn't notice you said you were on Windows 98... Win98 SE :oops:
    should buy glasses :rolleyes:

You can try at least to disable the application filtering to see if the freeze comes from it or not.

regards,

gkweb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.