System Folder

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Darph_Bobo, Jun 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darph_Bobo

Darph_Bobo Registered Member

I mentioned this in an e-mail to Gavin but the problem isn't solved yet.

Still an odd blank titled "SYSTEM" folder in the "MY COMPUTER" area. can't explore it and can't delete it or even see ANY STATS on it whatsoever. What can I do. HELP. I'm pretty sure this is eating up about 2 gig's of my hard drive. It appeared and I lost over 2 gig's of free space.

The other issue/Question is... should "Explorer" be accessing the internet when I right click over a folder or icon? I feel this is probably BAD. I always deny it access but it still un nerves me a little... ok more than a little.

Thanks

The Dark Clown

Last edited: Jun 16, 2004
  2. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

It's been known to do this occasionally. It doesn't necessarily imply anything sinister, but I think you're wise to block it.

3. Darph_Bobo

Sorry to nudge... but what about my other issues... the interesting "system" folder that is unaccessible or removable?

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

What operating system? If you right click the folder, does it show properties?

5. Darph_Bobo

No. That's my point... I can't do or see ANYTHING about this folder. All it says on the left of my window is "system".

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I still don't know your operating system. I did find a link for you to read.

It will be a start at least. Read the whole thread.

If you have no luck, maybe the experts here can look at a hijack log for you.

http://www.d-a-l.com/forum/ftopic1115.html

Last edited: Jun 17, 2004
  7. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear Darph_ Bobo, its perfectly normal if your Explorer wants to surf the Net too. some operations like opening a FTP with folder view requires it to be connected to the net. you'll notice that when you open up some files they want to connect to the Internet. it doesn't mean they are all trojans. its just a thing with Microsoft. they make those files to be able to help you when you don't need it.

regarding your weird SYSTEM folder issue, it surely gives me the creep. if you are using Windows 9x you might want to tell us if the name is SYSTEM_ with an underscore after its name. anyway please tell us about your OS, major softwares and the system utilities you're running.

8. Darph_Bobo

So... it's been a while. I WAS running 98se fully updated. Zone Alarmpro, Bullet proofs ad-ware remover and pest patrol. (No norton... couldn't install for some weird reason...since solved--like 2 days ago and NOT the date of this POST.)

I have since changed, upgraded, side stepped, fallen off the face of the perverbial techno planet to XP Pro. the aformention folder still existed there. But after the "CHANGE" (just to simplify that long winded title) I was able to DELETE but still not obtain any further info on the file. My guess whas that the change in OS unhooked it from my registry of something.

I am still concerned with it having been there and that I have a fair amount of sensative materials in my system within a program or two.

Sigh.

Clown Boy
    HONK HONK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.