System Backup 2010 destroyed RAID partition table by resizeing partition for backups

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by zmijos, Nov 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zmijos

zmijos Registered Member

Hi everyone,
    I am looking for help to boot up my PC without loosing data from hard disks :(
    I have two disks with RAID 0, and two partitions on it. I installed Paragon System Backup and choose one partition to store the backups. Program has resized this partition, and made a successful backup. Everything was working well untill I turned off the PC.
    Now the PC doesn't boot, and before the start of booting Vista I see this: "Insert startup disk in floppy drive and press F2 to run setup". I guess it needs RAID drivers. The question is - will the setup process rebuild partition table correctly? Could anybody advise me how to recover without loosing data?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi,

Try rebuilding the mbr executable code.

Boot the System Backup cd - rt click boot drive ( not a partition ) and select update mbr - Apply.

Or on the menu bar, click Hard disk>Update mbr. Apply.

The act of creating the bootable backup capsule requires overwriting the existing mbr and adds an F6 key to boot it directly.

Updating the mbr, rewrites the standard mbr executable code.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  3. zmijos

zmijos Registered Member

You are right,the problem was MBR and rebuilding it was a solution, thank you for that information. Unfortunately the System Backup CD shutdowns on my PC. I used GParted and I managed to boot the system ('Boot from first disk, first partittion' option). Booting with option 'first disk MBR' gave the 'Insert startup disk...' screen.
    Finally I found a solution on Microsoft Support - bootrec /fixmbr
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Sorry, I should have suggested that - would have saved you searching.

SB cd shuts down ? Do you get the first screen , then select Normal Mode?

Does it just hang on the next splashscreen?

Might be having trouble reading the partition table/locating the drives.

Glad you are back to normal.

5. zmijos

zmijos Registered Member

SB CD shuts down just after first screen with progress bar. Progress goes to 100% and after that I get a black screen with blinking command prompt _ only.
    Repaired mbr doesn't changed it. Maybe my configuration will be helpful to resolve this. QuadCore Intel Core i7 920 on the Asus P6T SE motherboard (X58 chipset), Intel(R) ICH10R SATA RAID Controller 64bit, 2x SAMSUNG HD103UJ HDD, Vista64, Paragon System Backup 2010 version 4.0.100.1190 - full version from a computer magazine published this month with is probably RC version.

6. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Just to clarify, you ran a backup of your Raid 0 operating system that is from the first partition and restored it to the 2nd partition? It might be possible that the MBR is pointing to the 2nd partition now for the OS. What I would do is disable the 2nd partition by marking it inactive and hide, then run Windows CD to scanOS and repair.

The restore might've went wrong, but now the MBR is ignoring the first partition.

7. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

I think he's booting into windows OK after rewriting mbr.

It is the SB recovery cd that is still not working for him.

Tricky if he needs it to restore.

8. zmijos

zmijos Registered Member

Exactly - I am booting into Windows OK now :)
    I didn't restored any backup yet. I just installed Paragon System Backup 2010, the program chose the biggest partition, asked for confirmation to resize it to make a space for storing snapshots. I agreed and everything was OK, until next reboot - you know the rest.
    Now my PC works fine, I have even snaphots stored, but probably I won't be able to use it, because the recovery CD doesn't boot at my machine - I described how does it behave, hoping, that maybe it will help to improve this software. Please excuse my English. Once again thanks for help SIW2 :)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.