Symantec vs McAfee

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Diablo II, Aug 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

OK, but does that make any difference ?
    I'm also wondering where all these companies get their knowledge to create a security suite with AV, AS, AT, AK, ...
    I knew about ZA and CA and eTrust is also CA, so ZA AV = eTrust AV.
    But that doesn't change anything, suites still have a lesser quality, not every part of it, but some parts or even missing parts.
    Agnitum Outpost combined its firewall with an AS scanner, I'm looking forward how Agnitum will solve the AV part to complete their security suite in order to compete with the rest.

2. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Just me I guess, but I hope Agnitum stays out of the AV biz. The AS with their flag product firewall that may be o. k. We shall see. :)

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

The smartest security suite companies will develop separate AV,AS, etc. that also can operate in a security suite in order to meet the wishes of every user.

If nothing sensational happens in the Security World, security suites will become very popular amongst ignorant users, because they are tired of having so many separate softwares on their computer.
    After all the actual solutions are a big mess and ignorant users don't know anymore what to choose or to combine.
    Just think like a newbie and you will understand my point.

4. mercurie

Indeed I do understand your point and do agree with you. One stop solution is what the average user wants. They would rather not be bothered with multipule choices. We indeed are on the same page on this issue. ;)

5. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

and there are even days when I feel the tug to be just an average user... :)

That siren call of just one icon in the system tray...

Blue

6. mercurie

Very true. I recently installed on one of my machines the Comcast promo McAfee AV and Privacy Service. I may have had the option not to have the icons. I can not remember.

But three icons, please. Privacy Service, AV and Security Center. :p To much.

Note: I made a personal choice to not go with the firewall at this time but to use Sygate instead. I have nothing against their firewall as I have never used it.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2005
  7. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I agree, mercurie. The 5 icons that McAfee Security Center installs to your desktop when installing it is a bit much. But I think the reason that they may do this is because some users may want to keep the AV and the firewall, but do without the SpamKiller or Privacy Service, etc. This way, they can uninstall the individual components that they do not want, but still keep the icons for the programs that they intend to keep. You can also delete the icon from your desktop, and it won't delete the actual program...just the icon. But the icons are just for easy access from the desktop...but THANKFULLY they only have the one system tray icon ;)

8. mercurie

True enough thankfully only one system tray icon. But I would think that a more orderly way to do this is have the Security Center and be able to launch all from that one place after you open it, which of course you can. But just do away with all the icons, but then again as you said they can be deleted.

It has been a long, long time since I have used McAfee they indeed have come a long way, and progressed nicely. The Privacy part is doing right much protection in the back ground I am sure but I really do not much care for it all that much and may unload it soon.

9. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Registered Member

Well I was answering your question:
    All I was pointing out was they didn't become experts in areas they didn't know, they just integrated with other companies who are experts in those areas.

With these suites, IMO suites that integrate other company's products don't have necessarily have lesser quality(the integrated product is the same core product you can buy separate), it's just that the the suites tend to have less configurability/options to them. This is probably due to the originating company wanting to keep their product sellable as a standalone and second, (again IMO) these suites are designed to be more simplistic to cater to the average Joe, who has no need for the heavily in depth options.

IMO a "suite" versus buying all the products individually is no different than the choice many people have to make as to whether to buy the "regular" version or the "Pro" version. While they are both the same core product, and still the same basic quality, one has more otions/configurability over the other.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2005
  10. FatalChaos

FatalChaos Registered Member

NOD32 is ligher b/c its better written and not as bloated. Mcafee is better than Norton, lighter and about the same detection rate. To be honest, i would reccomend running NOD32 as a real time scanner (has the best catch rate according to av comparitives) and keep Mcafee (or Kaspersky, which is what i use) as an on-demand scanner.

Norton just sucks. Way too heavy

11. crazy4stef

crazy4stef Registered Member

maybe McAfee is better

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.