symantec system recovery 2013 desktop versis shadow protect desktop

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by lodore, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    I am currently trialing symantec system recovery 2013 desktop and other than the a small bug which sometimes the service crashes and then restarts. the product works well.
    I have setup the product to do hourly incremental backups and weekly base with consolidation every 4 hours. I have also setup the file and folder backup to do a daily backup of changes. symantec does offer 15minute incrementals but I feel 15mins for my needs is just overkill. symantec offers a windows 8 based recovery disc.

I am tempted to try shadow protect desktop which is slightly more expensive and has very similar features but i am not sure if it has any advantages.

I have used image for windows since 2008 but when creating a backup it slows down my system alot and the scheduling features are not very good.

so far i have found the symantec product to be similar speed to image for windows for full hot images but do not impact me using my pc and the incrementals seem to be very quick.

I have just done some testing with shadow protect desktop and to me it seems a bit disjointed, symantec has one interface to do all the tasks. with shadow protect desktop you have to use a separate program to consolidate the images with a program called image manager. why cant they add those options in the shadow protect desktop interface?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  2. claykin

claykin Registered Member

Personally, Symantec SSR is great. Love the fact it will backup to primary and secondary locations and do file management of both locations to keep them from overloading with backups.

Not running SSR2013 so am not sure about this "bug" you are referring to, but my BESR2010 pretty much never (rarely) fails.

That said, not a huge fan of the file backup. It seems to be inconsistent with versions saved for some files (file types). I prefer to use a separate file backup tool (Syncback) or cloud backup as belt & suspenders.

3. Rich M

Rich M Registered Member

For real? "a small bug which sometimes the service crashes and then restarts."
    That to me is not a small bug and I wouldn't be using any program that did that.
    Shadow Protect is a class act but I will say the rescue disk is really intricate and confusing.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Since I installed the service pack the service no longer crashes.

5. Rich M

Rich M Registered Member

Oh ok that makes sense now.

6. Rich M

Rich M Registered Member

One thing to bear in mind is that both Shadow Protect and Symantec System recovery 2013 are expensive programs. Shadow Protect Desktop is $209 for 3 licenses and Symantec is around $259 so that has to bear into this discussion also. I guess if the programs are flawless no one really cares as they can really save you from so many issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.