Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition 12

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by AnthonySavino, Mar 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonySavino

AnthonySavino Registered Member

Hello I am new here thanks for having me.

Anyway I have been using Eset Smart security 4 for about 8 months now and my renewal will be coming soon. I am a home user so it is not a business computer but my brother works as a computer network engineer and at home our computers run off his home network, which is kind of cool cause I can save files on the network drives at home. Anyway he brought home Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition 12 and said if I wanted to install it and use it after my subscription of ESET runs out that I can and it would be good for a year. Has anyone used or tried Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition 12 ? Is it as good as norton ? or about the same ? I always hear either really good or bad things about norton so I am skeptical. Any help will be appreciated Thank you.

2. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

well if you install symantec as unmanaged you will get updates for the life of the product.

as for using it. ive using version 11 i like it not to bad. the firewall is base on sygate which isnt bad.

id go for it. just my opinion.

3. AnthonySavino

Lifetime? I did not know about that it sounds great. I do like my ESET but It would be nice if you could buy protection for more than a year or 2 years like most products do. I used to have mcafee enterprise from 2003 to 2008. And it would still update but it was version 7 and it was just behind the times in malware protection. So I had to drop it, then I bought Smart Security 4 which was great! No problems but I just hate the idea of only 1 year service.

4. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

yeah they have what people call loose licensing. dont require activation.

5. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Hello! Officially there is no version 12 of this Symantec product . You can check it on the Symantec web site (Business section). The latest is Symantec Endpoint protection version 11

6. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

here a link to help see what it offers.
    ~ Removed JavaScript Function from Posted Link ~

copy and past the link.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2010
  7. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

The last thing you want to do when evaluating SEP SBE 12 is trying to gauge its capabilities based on what Norton AV/IS/360 are performing like. The latter are consumer focused products and have a number of technologies that are not present in SEP. The main focus of SEP is ease of management and deployment in a corporate setting. On Windows 7 it still does not have key-logger protection available. Also, the most glaring problem, IMO, is that you have to manually install product patches which are available from Symantec's website. You have to keep checking that page periodically, as no notification system is currently in place. IMO, SEP is good for a corporate network where -
    1. HTTP filtering is done at the gateway level
    2. A dedicated team is available for installation of patches and upgrades.
    As a home user, you can either renew your subscription of ESET, or if you want to switch, Avira Premium and Kaspersky are good choices.

8. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Version 11 is for Enterprise.

Version 12 is for Small Business.

Release notes for Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition 12.0.x
    http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/854fa02b4f5013678825731a007d06af/b9e5de9350b3ac048825766d008234c3?OpenDocument

See his first post:

Attached Files:

• 12.0.png
      12.0.png
      File size:
      12.8 KB
      Views:
  9. AnthonySavino

Thank you all for the replies, except for the guy who thinks there is no symantec Small Business Edition 12 version, what in the world that was about? I don't know. He even used the blond female Hello! LOL anyway. I would be using this on windows xp pro I wonder If I was to use it if I would have to apply all those patches as well? I did install it for a couple of days the very first update took awhile it was over 65mb. But When I tested it against usual bad sites and malware it picked it up ok and the firewall passed the shields up test. So I guees it will keep me clean but it does seem overkill. Oh and it also made my computer take longer to start up it actually made it take about 3.5 minutes longer to start up than ESET did. But after it started it was ok, and did not slow anything else down. It ran just as smooth but why it took longer I have no idea.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  10. AnthonySavino

Well I decided to dump ESET since it is about to run out and run Symantec Other than it taking a little longer to boot it seems ok and it was bought for me so I can't complain I guees.
    Oh and the patches you mentioned do not have to be downloaded manual or checked for at there web site. They are automatic with the live update so it is worry free who ever told you it was manual had false information. My information on this can be found here as a example. http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/docid/2010010308571348

Question/Issue:
    Why are the Security Content dates for Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) and Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM) not progressing beyond 12/31/09?

Symptoms:
    Security Content dates on the following Symantec products are dated 12/31/09 rev xxx despite being the latest available through LiveUpdate:

* Symantec Endpoint Protection v11.x Product Line
    * Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition v12.x Product Line
    * Products which rely on Symantec Endpoint Protection for definition updates (e.g. Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange or Symantec Mail Security for Domino)

Note: This includes all Security Content updates - including Antivirus definitions, Proactive Threat Protection (PTS) Truscan definitions, and Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) definitions.

The following is a list of the expected behaviors of affected Symantec software with default configurations. If the settings for functionality such as alerts or notifications have been altered from the default values, it is possible that your experiences may vary from those below.

Show details for List of Potential SymptomsList of Potential Symptoms

Cause:
    An issue was identified in the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM)/Symantec Protection Center (SPC) which causes Security Content newer than 12/31/2009 11:59 PM to be considered older than content previous to that date/time. Any content with a date of 1/1/10 12:00 AM or newer would be purged from the SEPM if the maximum number of definitions revisions had been reached. Since 12/31/09 rev xxx is considered the latest content available to an unpatched SEPM/SPC, a client would not update to a content revision later than the highest numbered revision available on 12/31/2009. To mitigate this issue, Security Response stopped incrementing the date on SEP Security Content downloaded by SEPM/SPC Servers and instead only incremented the revision number of the content. Symantec released a patch to resolve this ussue for SEPM/SPC, but Security Response will continue to provide both a 12/31/2009 rev xxx and 2010 content streams for SEPM/SPC for the time being.

Solution:
    Symantec released a patch that will resolve this issue for Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 and Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition 12 users. This patch is available via Public LiveUpdate, LiveUpdate, Administrator and LiveUpdate Administration Utility. It can also be downloaded directly from the Symantec FTP server. The vast majority of SEPM/SPC users will already be patched due to automatic LiveUpdates.

Note: If you do not wish to have your SEPM/SPC updated automatically, please see the section below titled: “Preventing LiveUpdate from updating SEPM/SPC” under the SEPM and SPC Workarounds and Information section.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  11. iravgupta

I have to disagree with you. Believe me when I say that I have hands-on experience with this product, and upgrade patches have to be downloaded and installed manually. If you want to see it for yourself, obtain a copy of SEP 11.0 MR4(Maintenance Release 4) MP2(Maintenance Patch 2) and run LiveUpdate as many times you wish. It will not upgrade to 11.0 RU5, which is the latest release. In order to do that, you have to visit this page http://www.symantec.com/business/support/downloads.jsp?pid=54619
    and select your product version and download the appropriate patches.

12. AnthonySavino

I have small business version 12 not 11 so the patches you speak of wont apply to me. Symantec states all the patches are done by live update and so far all the patches for the version I have has been taken care of by the live update. I guees my version is different from yours. I have never used 11 and I see the patches are all for version 11. So I guees 12 is set up different.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  13. iravgupta

I did install the latest version of SEP SBE 12, and took it on a spin. I was not able to validate your patch application claim, but since this product is targeted at a small business setting, your claim looks pretty plausible. On a Windows 7 machine resource usage was low, scan speed was fast. Only problem - it does not protect very well from threats encountered via alternate browsers like Google Chrome. Some URLs that triggered an immediate alert from SEP SBE 12 when launched in IE8, did not raise even a small alarm when launched in Chrome, and malware was successfully downloaded. When a manual scan of the entire System Partition was done, SEP SBE did manage to catch some nasties, but this kind of browser specific protection is pretty unacceptable to me. I repeated the same URLs with avast!, and no matter which browser I tried, avast! Network Shield or avast! Web Shield always managed to block the attack. avast! file shield did not even get a chance to be engaged. Now that's top notch protection.
    These are my very long two cents, wishing you luck with your choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.