symantec call centre+stolen credit card details

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Cavs1, Mar 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cavs1

Cavs1 Registered Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7953401.stm

im just so nervous about buying anything with the credit card anymore i think i will stick to cash and real shops...you just have no way of knowing what any call centre will do with your numbers once you hand them over and how can you prove it was them if/when it does?

joe

2. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

This is the reason why companies like Paypal will do well :)

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Symantec again........this company sure has a PR mountain to cover up......:eek:

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Especially PP's free 1x use secure cards. I used like 5 in the last month.

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I'm becoming more worried about BBC than anything else. Hell, these guys already bought and used botnets for an "investigation", and now this? When did they start deciding to play cops?

6. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

:eek:

Heh...I'm happy for them to do this. Anything to aid cyber security is 'A' OK with me! :thumb:

7. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

When our real cops failed to upgrade to the cyber world and sit eating donuts all day.

8. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I could tell you stories from the bank about how false that thought is but I'm not allowed...paypal is not safe...

9. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

A friend of mine had £3000 taken out of his account using details stolen from PayPal so I disagree with this statement. Luckily his bank reimbursed him.

10. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

Of course it is not 100% safe, and if you are not careful about what you have on your computer (ie; a keylogger) then you may have your money taken.

However, the protection from using Paypal is much higher then just using your credit card.

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

That's not a legitimate reason, though you're somewhat right. Regardless of intention or whether or not politicians are doing something about these issues, it is still not within BBC's rights to take the law into their own hands so to speak. If anyone else did what they've been doing lately, it would be a computer crime and they'd find themselves in seriously hot water.

12. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

So I found a reason that can make me happy that I'm usually near to my credit limit for almost all my credit cards. They have nothing to steal from me. :rolleyes: ;) :p

The truth is that I try not to use online one of my cards, an AMEX, that has in theory no limit on the amount of money I can spend.

13. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Sure. Now we know who are the real "criminal gang" :D

14. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi :)

It was actually on TV last night :eek:

Where Symantec is involved.. Nothing surprises me anymore :rolleyes:
    Look what they put this poor fella through : http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&thread.id=40923

Just seen his update!
    Here : http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&thread.id=41382
    Still!
    It should never have happened in the first place :thumbd:

Disgusting! :mad:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  15. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

Great.
    Another Norton issue.

I'm beginning to lose my trust to this vendor.
    Just when you thought they had everything going right for their 2009 product line-up, issues like this are dug up. Totally taints the company's name :thumbd:

16. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

unless paypal keeps taking funds from your account after they have been told to stop. I have seen it too many times to be a one time accident & the bank I work for gives the funds back to the individuals & rarely does Paypal reimburse the bank. I wouldn't use them on a bet...

17. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

The credit card I had problems with wasn't the one I used with Paypal at all!!They took $3000.00 from it it 18 days.The card they did this to wasn't used in about a year and a half and it was used at a Lawyer's office then.But when all was said and done it was all taken care of by my bank.

18. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Sorry for you. Glad it's sorted.

As far as PP & any other online purchases. I have it tied to 1 seperate bank & acct. Complete isolation in case things go tits up.

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think the best solution is a disposable credit card that u make urself just before making an online payment and the credit in this card is just enough for one time shopping( credit fixed by u each time u make a credit card).

This option is given by some banks as I read from a post by one of the members here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.