svchost, many outbound connections

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by jason68, Nov 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jason68

jason68 Registered Member

I’m getting lots of svchost.exe connections (udp out). Is this normal? There is about 10-20 of them listed in my comodo firewall active connections. They seem to only open up when I open my web browser. I know this is a normal process but not with so many outbound connections. I also read that svchost only needs access to port 53. Is this true, and how do I fix this.

2. inka

inka Registered Member

Is your browser home page set to "about:blank"?
    If not, multiple concurrent connections at startup shouldn't be surprising.
    (20 does sound excessive. Have you 'tweaked' your TCP-related registry settings?)

Do you know which browser extensions are installed, and are enabled?
    In addition to the 'start' webpage loading when you open a browser instance, some of your browser extensions may be 'calling home' at each launch.

====================

"svchost only needs access to port 53. Is this true, and how do I fix this."

Fix? If you mean 'tighten'...

you would alter the policy rules for svchost.exe
    Comodo interface: "Firewall" tab } "Advanced" button } Network Security Policy

double-click the svchost entry, choose "use a custom policy"

first rule: allow TCP/UDP (perhaps just UDP) out where dest.port is 53
    second rule: ask (or deny, your call) out for any TCP/UDP

even tighter:
    enter the IPs for your primary/secondary DNS servers as the only permitted destination IPs within first rule

even tighter:
    you could install a local DNS caching proxy (DNSKong, or TreeWalkDNS) and set your first rule for svchost (and ALL processes) so that requests ONLY to 127.0.0.1:53 are permitted

3. jason68

Wow, thankyou thankyou.

I do have a few browser addons plus a realtime AV webscanner. I will do as you suggested.

Any more info on the reg tweaks?

4. inka

inka Registered Member

"reg tweaks", as in: a couple HowTo guides & trying-to-be-helpful utilities have circulated which mess with your registry settings toward optimizing your xfer speeds... but the tweaks can produce detrimental rather than optimal results. One of reputedly helpful tweaks was to set a high number of simultaneous half-open connections. (Arguably, reuse of existing connections is usually more efficient.) If you haven't 'messed with' the registry settings in this way, don't worry about it.

5. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

I have 19 after 30 minutes of safe browsing on a malware-free four day old installation of Vista. No problem.

6. jason68

FWIW the connections are all on ports in the 50,000 - 60,000 range. I just read in another forum that that may indicate a malware infection. I ran MBAM, SAS, and Avast and none of them detected anything. The destination IP is always the same and I think it might be my ISP, but I don’t know if I‘m reading that correctly or if my ISP is showing up simply because its the same ISP the destination IP is using. I haven’t yet tightened my policy but will do so once I figure this all out.

7. jason68

Hmmm…I’m reading conflicting things on ports in that range. I’m still on XP SP3. The full path shows that svchost.exe is in the proper location (system32\) so it's likey not malware. I’m probably just being paranoid.

8. inka

inka Registered Member

Instead of sitting by, worrying & guessing, fire up WireShark and peek inside the packets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.