svchost.exe ?

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by CloneRanger, Jun 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ Prevx

I have WSA set as in my Post # 19 here https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=348001 In the same thread in my Post # 23 ZA iv'e set ZA to prompt me Every time GHP wants to connect out for the first time.

So if WSA is "supposedly" blocking svchost.exe, how is it possible for it to get out ?

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Blocking svchost.exe will create system problems - WSA allows it to connect out to where it should.

3. CloneRanger

O
    Not according to these members in the same thread ! Are they wrong ?

So my WSA Network Tab showing svchost.exe as Blocked, is lying to me ! That's not good, or what i expect to happen :mad: What else does WSA allow that we do and/or might "think" we've blocked ?

4. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

svchost itself does nothing, it is a host process for other OS components. It can host any number of processes - from Windows Defender to Windows Update (and a myriad of other services), so by blocking it, you are potentially blocking critical aspects of the system that you may not notice. However, WSA will block its outbound connections if you choose to have it do so, although it will allow it to continue listening to avoid the plethora of system issues which can arise and occur silently.

5. CloneRanger

Ahh, well that's different & alright then :thumb: If you had said that before it would have pacified me :)

Thanks

6. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Thank you kindly.
    You have answered my initial query on this and confirmed what i already guessed that no harm can be done from allowing these connections.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.