SVCHost.exe

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by notthatguy, Jun 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notthatguy

notthatguy Registered Member

Been monitoring it on my firewall recently and am curious if I have to allow it to send and receive data. I know it is an important Windows function but the idea that windows constantly is sending and receiving bytes on my computer really bothers me from a security and a privacy standpoint.

Anything that can be done about this?

Is there any other Windows files that I should be worried about blocking?

2. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

3. No_script

No_script Registered Member

Only thing I allow it to do is DNS which is port 53, anything else gets blocked.

4. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Internet access for SVCHost is a tradeoff. If you disable the DNS service, time service, and a few others, you don't have to give SVCHost any internet access. I believe this will also prevent updating from working properly as well. This is where privacy/security and convenience clash. You have to decide what fits your needs.

If you're running a 3rd party firewall, you do have more options. The different internet services that run via SVCHost use different ports and protocols. By specifying allowed ports and destination IPs, you can allow the more useful services internet access while still controlling what they do and where they connect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.