Surviving the virtual machine buzz.

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by eyes-open, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Stout

Bill Stout Registered Member

;)

As far as virtual machines, I wish all my servers were virtual and controlled by dynamic provisioning software. I also wish all remote access was only from virtual images run in VMware Player.

I once had a job at an east coast blade server company (populated by a few unsavory sales people). The good thing about the technology was each PC server was half a motherboard, the I/O section was separated off as a pair of PCs that handled disk and network I/O. This way a server image (stored on SAN) could boot on any dual or quad processor PC, and if the server was a member of a farm, the controller software could boot additional PCs for that application and shutdown PCs for a less loaded application. With virtualization that's no longer a remarkable feat, since an image no longer requires specific hardware drivers. Provisioning software (such as from Opsware) dynamically manages farms of virtual servers based on various metrics such as; time of day (follow the sun processing), batch jobs, processor load, users, etc.

The only bad thing about VMs is the one-time cost hit, and the learning curve on managing and storing the images. But in a data center, this helps fix the things that break most often (things that are touched, and things that are mechanical).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.