Surprising speedup after running CCleaner

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by roger_m, May 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I've been having problems with a used Samsung 12.1" notebook I bought. It not very powerful, but was running slower than it should be - definately noticably slower than my netbooks.

I initially thought it was due to overheating. However after blowing out the air vents with compressed air, the laptop was running cooler but not faster. I had tried all I could - short of doing a clean install of Windows 7 to increase the speed, but with little effect. Even running the pro version of Advanced SystemCare did little to help. Since I have been thiking about selling the laptop (cheaply due to speed issues) I decided to install CCleaner and do a clean with the default settings (usually the first thing I do after installing CCleaner is to deslect all options to clean mru/history data so that junk file are the only things cleaned, I don't even clean cookies). Now my laptop is running a lot better.

While I had run disk cleanups with several programs, I had always selected to not clean any MRU/history data. This is something I never ever clean as don't want it removed. For example I want my web browsers to know remember my browsing history so that I can go to previously visited sites more quickly, i.e. I start typing in a url and autocomplete will finish it for me. Also another example I like that when I go Start/Run it remebers previous commands entered.

I was really surprised that cleaning the mru/history data made such a difference in speed - I did not think it would affect performance. Now my laptop is running as it should.

2. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I for one am celebrating your success :argh: :thumb:

But does anyone know exactly what CCleaner cleaned up that would make such a difference to speed?

3. At a guess, I'd say it's because it takes time and CPU power to search through MRU databases - more if the databases have gotten really big. 6 months or so of browsing could add up to a lot of entries, depending on the use pattern. Funny, though, I never really thought about that as a possible cause of Windows slowdowns (or slowdowns on any OS).

BTW, some applications let you discard MRUs after a certain amount of time - I believe Firefox has an option for that. Might come in handy in the future.

4. ltsnow

ltsnow Registered Member

You also might want to try MRU-Blaster since CCleaner worked so well. I have been using both of them for years. MRU-Blaster is an oldie but goodie from the same guy who makes SypwareBlaster.

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/mrublaster.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.