Surg Protectors

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by snowy, Jan 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowy

snowy Guest

A surg protector, also known as a surg strip or surg suppressor, is commonly a 6-outlet stip with built-in protection against over-voltage.
    Surg protectors do not protect for the under-voltage condition. Some surg protectors have an electronic component called a MOV (METAL OXIDE VARISTOR) which protects the computer or devices that plugs into one of the outlets on the surg strip. The MOV, however, has some drewbacks. If a large surg occurs, the MOV will take the hit from the surg and be distroyed, which is better than damaging the computer. However, with smaller over-voltages. each small surg weakens the MOV. A weaken MOV might not give the proper protection to the computer if there is a bigger surg. Also, there is no simple check for the MOV's condition. Some MOV's have indicator lamps attached, but this lamp only indicates when the MOV is destroyed. not when its weakened. However, having an indicator lamp is better than nothing at all. Some surg protectors also have replaceable fuses and/or an indicator lamp for the fuse..
    Surg protectors have two features to consider when selecting one. CLAMPING VO:TAGE is thew voltage level at which the surg protector starts protecting the computer. CLAMPING SPEED is how much time elapses before the protection begins. Surge protors can not normally protect against power spikes (over voltage for a short duration) because of their rated clamping speed. Another feature to look at is the JOULE DISSIPATION CAPACITY. the greater the joule dissipation capacity, the more effective and durable the surge protector is. A surge protector with 630 joules of dissipation is more effective than one with 210 joules of dissipation..
    Another feature to look for in a surge protector is how fast the surge protector responds to an adverse condition. Surge protectors that respond within Picoseconds (trillionths of a second), freact faster than surge protectors that respond in Nanoseconds(billionths of a second). Also, for greater surge protection choose a lower Transient Voltage Suppressing (TVS) Rating. A 330 TVS-rated surge protector is better than a 400 TVS-rated surge protector..
    Surge protectors are not the optimum protection for a computer system because most available provide very little protection against adverse conditions. Even the good ones only protect against over-voltage conditions.

2. root

root Registered Member

Good information, Snowbuddy.
    It has been my experience, the more money you can spend on such a device, the better quality you will get.
    I wish I had enough $$ to get a good voltage regulator/Surge protector. The spikes in my area are almost lightening strikes sometimes. :D
    I can attest to MOVs being weakened by surges. In my last previous life, I was an electronics technician and for a few years, I worked for the Pacific Missle Test Center at Pt Mugu Ca, and worked on the long range radars in Hawaii and on Kwajalen Atoll.
    I was working on one of the old long range radars one day and became a short circuit for 35,000 volts from the radars HVPS to ground. I was considerably weakened for days.
    Just glad it wasn't RF or every bone in my body would have been pulverized. :D
    I have seen guys that have been hit by lightening, some lived, some didn't. Not a prety sight. It doesn't take much for a big chunk of that raw energy to jump contacts and fry circuitry. Phone lines are especially succeptable, so make sure your surge protection accomodates the phone line also, if you use one.
    I can imagine what a lightening strike would do to a Snowman. Shudder!! :doubt:

3. snowy

snowy Guest

ROOT

no snowman are not very durable to lightening strike....but what really is degrading is when lil johnny joe brings out his mom's hair dryer to warm my feet....don't take long under those conditions for a poor guy to shrink a foot or two.......as lil johnny joe smirks........

a recent post by tassie caused me to post about surge protectors because there may be people not fully awear that a surge protector has limitations. An although many people are willing to spend dollars for programs for their computer they are not so willing to spend to protect the computer itself.....such as for a good surge protector
    plus as you pointed out...an I wonder if folks realize that a surge can pass through a phone line.
    yes I use a surge protector....its about five years old so my guess is that it may be next to useless due to the mumerous times its endured rain storms..snow storms..ice storms....somewhere in all that there must have been power spikes.......at the time of purchase I payed I believe $20

an yes Root..I've seen first hand the damage a few thousand volts can cause...nope not a pretty sight.

4. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

SASD the Cutting Edge of Technology

A few years back I was involved in purchasing this company and its technology. It is now affordable even to the home user as well as all the spacecraft that NASA has built.

It does the job. :D

Surge Supression is one of your best investment..I could give you an engineering pitch ;)..I will not give you a sales pitch. If you are interested it either...here are the links.

http://www.transtector.com/

The links below may help you to better understand SPDs (surge protection devices) and their use.

UPS Risks -Why UPS' alone cannot protect your equipment

Comparing Technologies - Comparing SASD and MOV technology

Transients Defined - What is the most frequent power problem?

Filter Networks - No substitute for true transient suppression

Surge Current Ratings - Higher isn't necessarily better
    ________

Today's electronics are more sensitive to electrical surges than ever before. Surge suppression is designed to protect your equipment, but not all suppressors are the same.

For sensitive equipment, Transtector's silicon suppression is best.

Commonly used metal oxide varistors degrade when intercepting surges. Over time, MOVs lose their ability to protect your equipment and must be replaced. This leads to errors and ultimately, permanent damage.

Transtector's custom silicon limits surges to levels safe for electronics without degrading. So Transtector suppressors protect your equipment better, helping you minimize downtime and errors.

Transtector Systems - Advancing the Science of Surge Suppression.
    http://www.transtector.com/fr_Navigator.asp?page=why&id=6

5. root

root Registered Member

Hi Primrose, thanks.
    I am looking for a lightening rated surge protector right now. Just a regular home setup to protect one computer. I have several DC adapters so I would like several large space plugs and phone line protection(modem).
    It is difficult to navigate that site. Do you have a link to one of their products that will suit my needs?

6. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Hi Root,
    Sorry I do not. It was back in 1985 that GRIM bought Transtector under the family of Inductotherm Industries which is now Smith..I had all their products in testing and new products were also developed. I still have a portable microprocessor based Power Analyzer marketed by them that can run round the clock tests to evaluate a customers lines..that includes phone lines, cable and every conceivable power source to determine the need and also the source of the problem besides lightening.

I used it occasionally and loan it out...but now it sit in storage. I should put that in the hand of someone who could really use it today.

Try contacting them with your needs. I talked to them 4 years ago and put their products for Marine on antennas and DC supplies for my comm gear on the boats. Saved me a bundle.

7. root

root Registered Member

K. Thanks :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.