Surface Book battery charge remaining estimate...

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Tarnak, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

...is wayward!

I recently bought the Surface Book, my very first laptop... I am impressed with the quality of it's construction, plus the futuristic look to it. :)

However, I am a little concerned with battery charge remaining estimate it gives. It seems not accurate, to say the least.

My usage is light, since I don't use programs, like video editing, gaming, etc. I wonder if there is a better way to monitor the battery?

ScreenShot_Surface Book_remaining battery charge estimate_01.GIF ScreenShot_Surface Book_remaining battery charge estimate_02.GIF ScreenShot_Surface Book_remaining battery charge estimate_03.GIF

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Ime they're all like that until <~50% remaining.

3. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Thanks...but, there has to be a better way. :)

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Laptop manufacturers aren't hiding a better way. No additional profit from doing so.

5. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

It probably is dependent on the CPU+GPU load at that moment, eg. like in you second photo maybe there were >30% CPU usage and for the third photo, less than <5%...so it counted based on the load.

6. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Every battery is different so it has to be estimated. Plus, batteries don't charge at a linear rate. The closer they get to a full charge, the slower the charge rate becomes. Plus as each battery ages (regardless the battery technology) it loses capability. There is no real way to measure that in a manner that will allow you (or algorithms) to predict how the next charge cycle will behave with any real accuracy. This is particularly true when the monitoring program does not know what the user will be doing next, or how often the user will be opening the freezer door to see if the ice cubes are frozen yet! ;)

So is there a better way? Nope.

7. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Thanks. I guess I have just make do with the present state, and await further developments in battery technology. I just turned my laptop on, and that is more than 13 hours since it was last shutdown, and the current state shows as...

ScreenShot_Surface Book_remaining battery charge estimate_08.GIF

8. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Was it hibernating or sleeping? Otherwise I'm confused.

9. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

No, I don't use sleep...I shutdown. However, sometimes when it is inactive for awhile, it does got into hibernate mode. When that happens, I just press the on/off switch, and reenter my password and it opens where I had last left off.

10. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

@Tarnak do you have Fast Boot (Fast Startup) turned on?

11. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

@stapp This is the first time I have been into check 'Power setting'....so, this is default by the look of it. Everything is greyed out.

ScreenShot_Surface Book_remaining battery charge estimate_09.GIF

12. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Click on 'change settings that are currently unavailable' and then scroll down the page

13. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Ok, what next? What changes do you want me to make?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  14. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Untick Fast Startup and click OK or apply

On Win 10 when you shutdown it's not a 'real shut down' it's a pretend one. It holds everything in a sort of suspend hybrid state so that when you start your machine up you say'' wow that is fast!!'

With fast startup unticked when you shutdown it's a real shutdown (like on XP and Win 7) This may enable you to see if your battery lasts any longer when the machine is really turned off.

Off course your machine will take a few seconds longer to boot now from a cold boot state.

15. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

OK...Will do...What about those sleep options, that I have at present? Should I get rid of those 3 for battery mode, that are there at the moment. Or, should I let them be?

16. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Tarnak that is up to you the sleep settings/battery modes. Perhaps others may give their finding and settings on that as I don't use sleep.

I just mention Fast Boot as I have it turned off as I find some things work better with it off, for example Shadow Defender. Also if I tell something to shutdown that is what I want it to do!!

17. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Ok...I will research, and see what is best for my use, Thanks, for your help and advice. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.